Homesick After All These Years.

I had just watched Michael Portillo’s attempts at a ‘quickstep’ on his visit to Aberdeen. His partner was saying, “quick, quick, slow” and I remembered when I and my friend would go to Alfred Gould’s School of Dance on a Friday evening. So I googled it and came up with this Forum, although it was the Sheffield that found it. This is me looking back over about 60 years of life. I’ve lived in Newcastle for forty or so years now.

3 hours ago, Kedikat said:

I had just watched Michael Portillo’s attempts at a ‘quickstep’ on his visit to Aberdeen. His partner was saying, “quick, quick, slow” and I remembered when I and my friend would go to Alfred Gould’s School of Dance on a Friday evening. So I googled it and came up with this Forum, although it was the Sheffield that found it. This is me looking back over about 60 years of life. I’ve lived in Newcastle for forty or so years now.

Do Geordies doing quickstep say "Gan on, gan on, woah"?

14 hours ago, Longcol said:

Do Geordies doing quickstep say "Gan on, gan on, woah"?

I’ve lived in Newcastle for six years and I don’t think the Geordie slang is as bad as it use to be when I use to visit as a child.  But you still get the odd person who uses it.

Lol. I wouldn’t know because nobody has asked me to dance, but I have had a spelk in my finger and felt a bit cockly when my bate went off. Do yous like the Toon.

I have just returned to Plymouth after a nostalgic visit to the City of my birth. I stayed at "The Leopold" my old school, the CTS. I visited all the places where I lived & went to school. I also visited a splendid museum on engineering, brilliant. Having seen "buffer girls" with their brown paper covered legs there was a model dressed exactly as I remember. In one room there was an old style coal fire grate & oven, it was made by W Green's of Ecclesfield where my father worked. At the age of nearly 89 I don't susppose I will see Sheffield again. I have to say I was impressed on how the City looks , it certainly looked on the up & up. I was surprised that no one I spoke too did not know who Derek Dooley was, even with a road named after him. The visit reminded me what a lovely childhood I had even though we had bombs dropped on us. Good bye Sheffield.

29 minutes ago, Janner said:

I have just returned to Plymouth after a nostalgic visit to the City of my birth. I stayed at "The Leopold" my old school, the CTS. I visited all the places where I lived & went to school. I also visited a splendid museum on engineering, brilliant. Having seen "buffer girls" with their brown paper covered legs there was a model dressed exactly as I remember. In one room there was an old style coal fire grate & oven, it was made by W Green's of Ecclesfield where my father worked. At the age of nearly 89 I don't susppose I will see Sheffield again. I have to say I was impressed on how the City looks , it certainly looked on the up & up. I was surprised that no one I spoke too did not know who Derek Dooley was, even with a road named after him. The visit reminded me what a lovely childhood I had even though we had bombs dropped on us. Good bye Sheffield.

Love this type of post & is what SF should be about.

We only moved out in 89 t'other side of Rotherham and was quite surprised how things had changed t'other week when we had a drive around Albert Rd, Heeley, Gleadless, little London Rd  Fraser Estate and Woodseats.

Glad you enjoyed your vist, but remember - 

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be :lol:

I now live in Northampton and am 84. I remember well Derek Dooley,  Jimmy Hagan etc. We had good football teams in those days. So what has happened??

The old Sheffield I knew and loved has long since disappeared, the city centre is a mess, seems all that get built is cafes, restaurants, pizza palaces, hotels , flats for the affluent and flatulent, the supposedly homeless, alcoholics and beggar numbers seem to get bigger everyday, shouting and swearing, generally making a nuisance of themselves.

The friendliness of people on the housing estates between neighbours has also disappeared, what were decent council homes are now ruined by the minority, windows smashed, bedsheets as curtains and never taken down from the day they are put up, children left to run riot. It was the highlight of my week going into town with my dad on a Saturday for a walk round the fish market, Woolworths and standing in Fitzallan Square listening to my dad chatting to someone he knew and even in the early sixties that visit to town on a Saturday I continued with my mates all of us sixteen years old. Memories I have will always be my look on what Sheffield was.

Edited by lazarus

I totally agree with your sentiments as I also loved old Sheffield dearly but the place seem to have lost it's way.

Sheffield needs something to replace the Steel and Cutlery industries which spread our fame world wide.

All we have are glorified snack bars. Surely we are good at something other than drinking coffee or eating fast food.

4 hours ago, lazarus said:

The old Sheffield I knew and loved has long since disappeared, the city centre is a mess, seems all that get built is cafes, restaurants, pizza palaces, hotels , flats for the affluent and flatulent, the supposedly homeless, alcoholics and beggar numbers seem to get bigger everyday, shouting and swearing, generally making a nuisance of themselves.

The friendliness of people on the housing estates between neighbours has also disappeared, what were decent council homes are now ruined by the minority, windows smashed, bedsheets as curtains and never taken down from the day they are put up, children left to run riot. It was the highlight of my week going into town with my dad on a Saturday for a walk round the fish market, Woolworths and standing in Fitzallan Square listening to my dad chatting to someone he knew and even in the early sixties that visit to town on a Saturday I continued with my mates all of us sixteen years old. Memories I have will always be my look on what Sheffield was.

'Affluent and flatulent', Brilliant!!!

18 hours ago, Pibey said:

I now live in Northampton and am 84. I remember well Derek Dooley,  Jimmy Hagan etc. We had good football teams in those days. So what has happened??

to quote ABBA money, money, money!