Let's Replace The Lido At Millhouses Park

3 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Why not just open one yourself? Do people campaign for cafes?

its more about the challenges of the location than anything else, I will leave my campaign for now.

Just now, CS22 said:

its more about the challenges of the location than anything else, I will leave my campaign for now.

Regardless of the location, any public Lido would have the same problems the one up at Millhouses had or the one down in Longley, lack of security and it getting vandalised by the local scrotes.

That was why particularly the Millhouses one was removed 30 odd years ago.

1 hour ago, Mr Allen said:

Regardless of the location, any public Lido would have the same problems the one up at Millhouses had or the one down in Longley, lack of security and it getting vandalised by the local scrotes.

That was why particularly the Millhouses one was removed 30 odd years ago.

Closing it had nothing to do with vandalism. It closed for the same reasons the paddling pools did. It used water from the sheaf, and there were problems with pollution in the river water

Edited by slh73

7 hours ago, butlers said:

A lido for the city centre would be good ,Castlegate maybe.

Could tap into the CHP from Bernard road.

Cracking idea .

21 hours ago, Anna B said:

I'm old enough to remember the outdoor Lido Swimming pool in Millhouses Park. It was packed in Summer and always very popular.

Technology has moved on so I see no reason why a retractable roof for poorer weather isn't possible and if necessary sustainable thermal heating.

The nearest thing to an outdoor swimming pool these days is Hathersage, which is small and usually crowded when the weather is good. At one time outdoor pools were quite common, and I think we might be in for a resurgence, especially with global warming and wild swimming and eco considerations. Sheffield is a long way from the coast/sea, so I think it would be an asset to the city, attract visitors, and be something people would want. 

What do you think? 

l

i remember the Lido as a kid in 1976 i think or it might have been 78, it was a very hot summer , we went to Silverdale school not far away, on many occasions skipped the whole afternoon and spent it at the Lido, eventually the teachers came looking after rumours in school, so funny to see 3or4 teachers running round trying to round us up there were at least 100 kids that had wagged it to the Lido that day. 

it would be good to have one like Hathersage where again i spent many happy school holidays, the crazy sheffield council would never fund it as we are classed as an elite area anyway and they would never be seen to have helped an affluent area much better to pour money away elsewhere.

Edited by ab6262

PLEASE NOTE THIS WINTER/SPRING ,the boats on the boating ponds were damaged and one sent down the sheaf and destroyed,and bear in mind they had to go into freezing water to get to them,thats how mad some folk are to damage items that bring enjoyment to others

I love the idea of having a lido in Sheffield! I've just googled the Millhouses Park one & it looks amazing, would definitely welcome the idea of having something similar to go to. 

2 hours ago, bassett one said:

PLEASE NOTE THIS WINTER/SPRING ,the boats on the boating ponds were damaged and one sent down the sheaf and destroyed,and bear in mind they had to go into freezing water to get to them,thats how mad some folk are to damage items that bring enjoyment to others

Vandalism is a perennial problem and damages all sections of society. It should be cracked down on and stopped sooner rather than later.

Police, Parents, schools, park wardens, youth groups etc should all be involved. The 'punishment' should be rectifying the damage, and community service /working for community groups. 

The irony is vandalism is often the product of mindless boredom that the very facilities that are being destroyed are trying to rectify.  It hasn't always been like this, what happened to youth clubs and youth workers? Are they still around? But we also have new methods of deterring vandalism; CCTV, etc.  

Edited by Anna B

On 03/06/2021 at 11:27, Anna B said:

I'm old enough to remember the outdoor Lido Swimming pool in Millhouses Park. It was packed in Summer and always very popular.

Technology has moved on so I see no reason why a retractable roof for poorer weather isn't possible and if necessary sustainable thermal heating.

I'm old enough to remember both the Lido and the stepped paddling pools, Black & White photo's to prove it.

Happy Daze.

4 hours ago, ab6262 said:

i remember the Lido as a kid in 1976 i think or it might have been 78, it was a very hot summer , we went to Silverdale school not far away, on many occasions skipped the whole afternoon and spent it at the Lido, eventually the teachers came looking after rumours in school, so funny to see 3or4 teachers running round trying to round us up there were at least 100 kids that had wagged it to the Lido that day. 

Hello ab,

little bit before 76 but similar thing, we were at Abbeydale Grange but when we wagged it we never got as far as the Lido - usually only made it as far as the Millhouses pub -  (always a teacher or two in't other room lol) .

The Campaign to keep the / or to have the Lido re opened went on for a long time, well after it shut.

Keep safe.

22 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

m old enough to remember both the Lido and the stepped paddling pools, Black & White photo's to prove it.

Happy Daze.I'

I used to go swimming in the pool that was there before the Lido.

Edited by spilldig

On 03/06/2021 at 11:27, Anna B said:

The nearest thing to an outdoor swimming pool these days is Hathersage, which is small and usually crowded when the weather is good. At one time outdoor pools were quite common, and I think we might be in for a resurgence, especially with global warming and wild swimming and eco considerations. Sheffield is a long way from the coast/sea, so I think it would be an asset to the city, attract visitors, and be something people would want. 

What do you think? 

l

Technology may have moved on but the cost of retracting roofs is very high from the initial install to maintainence & operation & as others have said there's still the vandalism issue. 

Everything is very expensive these days, but good quality leisure experiences should pay for themselves in many ways.

I think we should deal with the vandals, rather than let them dictate our way of life. There's a lot that can be done to deter them, including re-education.