Education Catch-Up

15 hours ago, The Joker said:

No no, read my previous post.

That £1 billion will only pay for the plans to deliver a promise to potentially fund tuition for these poorer children.

The same poorer children that Shagger Boris didn't want to feed during school holidays.

Perhaps they should run the catchup lessons at lunch time, no time to eat then - two birds one stone!

Sadly, knowing this shower in power I wouldn't put it past them :(

Boris the Berk and "Rich" Sunak have pledged £50 per head for our kids' education catch-up, compared with thousands in other countries (e.g. Netherlands, Canada).

Levelling up?  Lies.

20 minutes ago, steved32 said:

Boris the Berk and "Rich" Sunak have pledged £50 per head for our kids' education catch-up, compared with thousands in other countries (e.g. Netherlands, Canada).

Levelling up?  Lies.

I thought all the teachers have been supposedly working very hard throughout the pandemic. Thought there was lots of money poured into resources so that these teachers can carry on providing the education to their students remotely. I thought all these teachers were classed as essential workers and were providing skeleton schools opening to healthcare workers and others who couldn't stay at home.  That's certainly what the unions have been bleating on about.

Now it's moaning because they are not getting vast amounts more money for supposed "catch up" education. 

No matter what they get never seems to be enough as certain types of civil service.

One questions if they have kept doing their job properly as there Union mouthpieces protest - why exactly is there any for such vast amount of "catch-up" education. If the pandemic has caused a setback and difficulties to  education think it's only fair to question what the existing per pupil budget has been spent on during the time.

Can't have it both ways.  

33 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I thought all the teachers have been supposedly working very hard throughout the pandemic. Thought there was lots of money poured into resources so that these teachers can carry on providing the education to their students remotely. I thought all these teachers were classed as essential workers and were providing skeleton schools opening to healthcare workers and others who couldn't stay at home.  That's certainly what the unions have been bleating on about.

Now it's moaning because they are not getting vast amounts more money for supposed "catch up" education. 

No matter what they get never seems to be enough as certain types of civil service.

One questions if they have kept doing their job properly as there Union mouthpieces protest - why exactly is there any for such vast amount of "catch-up" education. If the pandemic has caused a setback and difficulties to  education think it's only fair to question what the existing per pupil budget has been spent on during the time.

Can't have it both ways.  

Well - for a start not every child will have had internet access.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-55816686

And I would imagine well nigh impossible to ensure that all pupils in a given class would be online at the same time for a given lesson on Zoom or whatever.

25 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

No matter what they get never seems to be enough as certain types of civil service.

Can't have it both ways.  

While some kids have been at school (as you say, those of key workers etc), plenty have not.

Educators have been working with these as well as their normal classes, via the internet - setting them tasks to do at home, marking them etc.  Not as good as been in a classroom, therefore a handicap, but a work-around of sorts that helps the kids learn.  That assumes these kids have access to PC's and/or laptops.  Even when they have, they will only have part use of them, as in most cases these are shared with parents working from home, and other children in other year groups.  Teachers teaching their normal classes, then also "virtual" classes, or trying to mix them somehow.  I've no idea how "practical" sessions are taught though!

I certainly wouldn't like to be teaching or being taught in those circumstances, but everyone has had a hard time of it in this pandemic.

I don't know about how much per kid is/should be provided, I am more worries about how this catching up can be done.  Different kids even in the same class will be at different levels dependent on school contact to date.  Some will have had practical lessons, others not.

Suggestions of longer school hours, fewer holidays, extra summer schools etc all make me wonder where these extra teachers are going to come from to do all this extra work.

On 03/06/2021 at 10:55, sibon said:

I registered an interest in delivering some of the catch up tuition. I’m retired, a vastly experienced teacher and manager. I know the exam system backwards.. I’m in a shortage subject. I’m exactly what they need. 

Anyway, Pearson made me a job offer. It amounted to roughly £10 an hour. I declined their offer.

I don’t see how they are going to recruit anyone of any quality at that pay rate.

You can earn more than that stacking shelves at Aldi.

Guest sibon
14 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

You can earn more than that stacking shelves at Aldi.

I could.

I didn’t particularly  need the money anyway, but I thought I’d offer to do my bit.

Pearson are getting about £75 an hour to administer the scheme. I wasn’t about to be their patsy.

7 minutes ago, sibon said:

I could.

I didn’t particularly  need the money anyway, but I thought I’d offer to do my bit.

Pearson are getting about £75 an hour to administer the scheme. I wasn’t about to be their patsy.

You display lordable intentions but I think, with the greatest of respect, that you are going about it totally the wrong way.  What you need to do is a bit of research.  Find where the Education Minister lives and drinks, then get taken on as a bartender.  Get talking to him, let him know that you are also a businessman with education links, who is starting up delivering education and training, and sit back and wait for the contracts to flood in.  Put adverts in TES etc, charge the Government £70 an hour, take people on at £30 an hour, and start looking at retirement homes in all the best places on earth.  Wait until the knighthood arrives, then find me and buy me my own brewery for coming up with the idea!