Education Catch-Up

So, the recently appointed Education Tsar has resigned...a few weeks after being appointed.

Bumbling Boris and Gormless Gavin's response?

The government is GOING TO... Promises, promises, eh?

Sir Kevan had a vision ... this lot have not got a clue.

18 minutes ago, steved32 said:

So, the recently appointed Education Tsar has resigned...a few weeks after being appointed.

Indeed.

I'm so glad it'll be 30 years at the end of next April since I left the total bobbins that was the primary and secondary education system of the 80s and early 90s.

19 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

Indeed.

I'm so glad it'll be 30 years at the end of next April since I left the total bobbins that was the primary and secondary education system of the 80s and early 90s.

Agree to a certain extent...

I was an 11-plus "failure" in 1967.

Condemned to bog-standard sec. modern... Waltheof, then converted to Waltheof Comprehensive School ...

One teacher made a difference... Mr "Batman" Battersby, who encouraged my reading of the great writers...Brontë, Owen, Dickens...

No teacher explained why we'd "gone comprehensive."   Maybe they didn't get it!  

I scrambled into City School VI Form, scrambled into Sheffield City College to train as a teacher...

Recently retired, but still tutoring for kids who need catch-up.  Still making a difference, which is great!

52 minutes ago, steved32 said:

Yeah, I saw this on the Beeb News at six.

Apparently, Shagger Boris wants to plan to deliver some promises of potential funding to poorer children to make up for the education they missed out on during lockdown.

Yes, that is Shagger Boris' great leap forward.

They were filming the public reaction in Hartlepool of all places.

Yes, that Hartlepool.

Is it my imagination, or are Northerners getting more gullible by the day ?

Give 'em credit; judging by the public's reaction, I don't think the folk of Hartlepool believed a word Shagger Boris said either.

Oooh, £1 billion for a 100 million hours of tuition. Looks like the government will be getting a bargain on its tuition. I suddenly feel an inexplicable urge to check the price of my Serco shares.

9 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

Oooh, £1 billion for a 100 million hours of tuition. Looks like the government will be getting a bargain on its tuition. I suddenly feel an inexplicable urge to check the price of my Serco shares.

No no, read my previous post.

That £1 billion will only pay for the plans to deliver a promise to potentially fund tuition for these poorer children.

The same poorer children that Shagger Boris didn't want to feed during school holidays.

1 minute ago, The Joker said:

That £1 billion will only pay for the plans to deliver a promise to potentially fund tuition for these poorer children.

The same poorer children that Shagger Boris didn't want to feed during school holidays.

Sorry, good point. Although come to think of it, if you are going to spend that kind of money you could probably fund a couple of scholarships to Eton ... a much better deal: don't want to spread the resources too thin.

41 minutes ago, The Joker said:

that Hartlepool.

Is it my imagination, or are Northerners getting more gullible by the day ?

Yes.  The Brexit brainwash is still active.

44 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Boris's plan may well have worked.  If these kids hadn't been fed, there would not be as many of them left as there are now, so the catch-up fund may have been sufficient for them to receive sufficient tuition out of what remained of the £1billion fund after the planning of it all, the consultancy fees paid to his gardener or publican or sister, the PR campaign to tell people about it all and so on.

And to think all this was foiled by a footballer!  Shame on you Rashford!

After yesterday's palaver, how anyone with children in education (parents and grandparents) can consider voting Tory mystifies me.

Build back better...levelling up?  Empty rhetoric and blatant lies.

Guest sibon

I registered an interest in delivering some of the catch up tuition. I’m retired, a vastly experienced teacher and manager. I know the exam system backwards.. I’m in a shortage subject. I’m exactly what they need. 

Anyway, Pearson made me a job offer. It amounted to roughly £10 an hour. I declined their offer.

I don’t see how they are going to recruit anyone of any quality at that pay rate.

9 minutes ago, sibon said:

I registered an interest in delivering some of the catch up tuition. I’m retired, a vastly experienced teacher and manager. I know the exam system backwards.. I’m in a shortage subject. I’m exactly what they need. 

Anyway, Pearson made me a job offer. It amounted to roughly £10 an hour. I declined their offer.

I don’t see how they are going to recruit anyone of any quality at that pay rate.

Good on you!  It's not only the derisory pay; there are cases of online tutoring being delivered by students abroad for less than £10 an hour!  Begs a question about quality!

For the past three years I've tutored LAC students in a Rotherham school... £25 per hour.  That's the minimum that should be paid for experienced teachers with proven track records.