Jump to content


England Euros Football 26 Man Squad

Recommended Posts

This was announced yesterday, and contained few surprises.  There are places for Maguire and Jordan Henderson, both currently injured but hoping to figure in the later stages, should we get that far.  The manager clearly feels that the risk of taking them is worth it.  Let's hope he's proved correct.

 

Much has been made of the inclusion of four right backs, with Gareth pointing out that they are among the top 26 players, and their versatility.  I would question that, having watched Trippier and Walker having to cut back onto the right foot every time they went forward when playing on the left, and Walker being out of position frequently and giving away a penalty as a centre-back.  Of the squad selected, Saka is a far better bet to cover Chilwell and Shaw for me, as he's played there and left wing with credit for Arsenal this season. 

 

Personally, I would have included Aaron Creswell of West Ham instead of a fourth right-back.  Aaron has played well all season, at left back and left centre-back and I feel he would provide excellent cover for both positions.

 

I am more worried about the lack of cover at the right side of attack.  We have 2 players who specialise in this position for every position except this one.  With Greenwood withdrawing, we have only Sancho who plays right wing/right side midfield regularly for his club.

On the wide left of midfield/attack, we have Stirling, Grealish, Rashford and Saka competing for the one slot.  To me, they are all better on the left than the right.  Stirling I think will be employed more centrally alongside Kane, with one of the 4 moving to the right when Sancho is not selected.

 

Well, that's kicked it off - anyone care to share their thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thirsty Relic said:

This was announced yesterday, and contained few surprises.  There are places for Maguire and Jordan Henderson, both currently injured but hoping to figure in the later stages, should we get that far.  The manager clearly feels that the risk of taking them is worth it.  Let's hope he's proved correct.

 

Much has been made of the inclusion of four right backs, with Gareth pointing out that they are among the top 26 players, and their versatility.  I would question that, having watched Trippier and Walker having to cut back onto the right foot every time they went forward when playing on the left, and Walker being out of position frequently and giving away a penalty as a centre-back.  Of the squad selected, Saka is a far better bet to cover Chilwell and Shaw for me, as he's played there and left wing with credit for Arsenal this season. 

 

Personally, I would have included Aaron Creswell of West Ham instead of a fourth right-back.  Aaron has played well all season, at left back and left centre-back and I feel he would provide excellent cover for both positions.

 

I am more worried about the lack of cover at the right side of attack.  We have 2 players who specialise in this position for every position except this one.  With Greenwood withdrawing, we have only Sancho who plays right wing/right side midfield regularly for his club.

On the wide left of midfield/attack, we have Stirling, Grealish, Rashford and Saka competing for the one slot.  To me, they are all better on the left than the right.  Stirling I think will be employed more centrally alongside Kane, with one of the 4 moving to the right when Sancho is not selected.

 

Well, that's kicked it off - anyone care to share their thoughts?

Have you discussed your post with Mr. Southgate, I'm sure he would be very interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Padders said:

Have you discussed your post with Mr. Southgate, I'm sure he would be very interested.

Well, if he posts on SF, I'm sure he'll read it with interest!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why's he picked Lingard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I see it, there could be only 3 reasons for his selection in tonight's warm-up match:

  1.  a shortage of players up front as some are either injured or being rested after Champions League final duty
  2. nobody else available to play in the wide right position (see OP)
  3. brain freeze!

I''d bet on point 3!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Southgate says he's failed if they don't reach semis,I say he's failed if he doesn't win it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way they played yesterday is already a failure.

 

Typical England hype machine in place but v Austria was plain boring.

 

I cannot see England doing well under Southgate- it's a good young squad with a poor manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They raved about the good young players in the champions league,Foden and Mount were average at best,James and Walker was the best English players in the final but not in the top 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trent Alexander-Arnold has had to withdraw following an injury.. Think we're down to 3 right-backs now, not sure how we'll manage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, whiteowl said:

Trent Alexander-Arnold has had to withdraw following an injury.. Think we're down to 3 right-backs now, not sure how we'll manage.

we'll call up yet another right-sided defender of course! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leaving out James Ward Prowse is a mistake. The squad is carrying too many unfit players, and too many "well he can do a job there" out of position players. Semi finals would be a very good result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Leaving out James Ward Prowse is a mistake. The squad is carrying too many unfit players, and too many "well he can do a job there" out of position players. Semi finals would be a very good result.

Agree!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.