England Euros Football 26 Man Squad

2 minutes ago, Mr Fisk said:

Agree, he was finding it tough given his stature, against very tall Danish players.

However, as you say, managed a few runs towards goal area, but wasn't his best game.

I'd like to see Foden have a run out, play with Sterling -for the City link.

Yeah I'd like to see Foden given a go, GS seems to prefer Saka or Sancho though, both fairly similar players, we'll have to be prepared for the Italians having a lot of the ball on Sunday night.

Don't know who ended up as man of the match but I'd give it to Sterling.  He was still running about, as fresh as anything towards the end of Extra time.  Hope that Pickford has had his wobble / off day.  What a brave move by Southgate to substitute, substitute Grealish after 30 odd mins to change the system. 

As for the Denmark goal, I was screaming, "Get someone on the posts."  I know the logic of a player laying on the floor behind the wall but I think it'd be more useful to have players on the goal line by the posts. 

I reckon we're underdogs going into the final based on form, Italians on an unbeaten 33 game run but I think we can nullify them but it'll be tight again.  Extra time & only 1 goal in it for me. 

7 hours ago, top4718 said:

Yeah I'd like to see Foden given a go, GS seems to prefer Saka or Sancho though, both fairly similar players, we'll have to be prepared for the Italians having a lot of the ball on Sunday night.

I think that Foden likes to occupy the same space as Kane. Pace on the flanks is the way to get at Italy.

Edited by Longcol

44 minutes ago, Longcol said:

I think that Foden likes to occupy the same space as Kane. Pace on the flanks is the way to get at Italy.

Yeah true, I think we've shown we can successfully attack from wide positions, it could be the key.

1 hour ago, top4718 said:

Yeah true, I think we've shown we can successfully attack from wide positions, it could be the key.

Interesting to note how "wing play" has changed over the years.

It used to be get to the bye line and hit a cross for the big centre forwards head (thinks Newcastle and Shearer) - now its much more cut inside and hit a low ball into the six yard box or cut it back to a colleague in space - or of course draw a foul for a pen.

I reckon the selection for the final will be very much based on the stats guys.  If their analysis shows that Italy are more likely to get most of the possession, then we'll go with Trippier as the wing-back, as he's the better defensive wing-back.  If its the other way round, then I think Saka will get the nod.  During the match, if we're under too much pressure, I think we'll bring Grealish on.  He can hold the ball carry it, and draw fouls, giving us a rest and getting us up the pitch.  No point starting with him, as we like to start with a fast tempo, and he slows things down.

Why do we look at these people as role models?

off the top of my head

Maguire,ABH in Greece.

Foden,pregnant girlfriend and entertains hooker  a in Finland.

Walker,serial virus rule breaker and womaniser.

Grealish,covid rule breaker.

Sterling,gun ratios on leg.

Trippier,betting rules broken on football.

not what I would want my son to follow.

Edited by ukdobby

14 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Don't know who ended up as man of the match ...

Schmeichel.

Italy close you down very quickly from the front, Henderson is very good at carrying the ball forward and evading challenges, him for Rice may be the only change, GS will stick with tried n trusted I reckon

Voting Brexit was the right thing to do 

After years of underachieving at football we are now in the final. 

The media are saying this team will emulate Ramseys side from 66,I think that's like comparing the county cup with the F.A cup.

3 hours ago, ukdobby said:

The media are saying this team will emulate Ramseys side from 66,I think that's like comparing the county cup with the F.A cup.

Agree - you've only to look at some of the past winners of the Euro's who've never got near a world cup final - or even qualified for that many eg Denmark, Greece.