Scc Council Tax Direct Debit

20 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Postman hasnt been yet, so will probably get the same. Thats fair enough then.

Hmmm... :huh:

... well I don't think it's 'fair enough'! :rant:

Let's do some (very approximate) sums...

There are roughly 250,000 households in Sheffield.

Let's say less than 50% pay by direct debit, say 100,000 households.

So postage alone (reduced 2nd class business rate @ say, 50p/item) is therefore £50,000!!! :o

Then there's additional admin costs on top (printing letters etc).

All needless costs caused by the incompetence of the council... :mad:

77.540 households affected according to the link on the last page.

Why they couldnt just email out the same as they do the bill, no idea.

3 hours ago, Padders said:

Got letter today,

Double council tax to be taken 31st July.

Yes the letter just came through the door. They state you can make the catch-up payment manually before the 20th July and then they wont take double at the end of July. Why do I not trust that as far as I can throw it?

I notice it says on the back that if paying by debit card they accept Visa or Switch. Switch debit cards were discontinued in 2002 🙄

Edited by northernboy

Got letter a few week ago saying they will take double next payment to make up for 'missed' payment.

But they didn't! Just the normal monthly amount.

What a debacle. Wish i had kept the letter as i would just make the payment myself.

I have no trust in this cowboy outfit to not turn around and say somehow this is my fault for missing a payment!

1 minute ago, arrowhead said:

Got letter a few week ago saying they will take double next payment to make up for 'missed' payment.

What a debacle. Wish i had kept the letter as i would just make the payment myself.

I have no trust in this cowboy outfit to not turn around and say somehow this is my fault for missing a payment!

I dont think you read the letter properly. It said they would take double at the end of JULY, not the end of JUNE. I mentioned this earlier in the thread.

They had to give the requestite 10 working days notice to vary the amounts and by the time they sent the letters in June this would not have been possible, hence the double end of July instead.

Edited by HeHasRisen

53 minutes ago, arrowhead said:

and you never make mistakes like misreading something?

In future forget the DD and go down to the office every month and pay over the counter

1 minute ago, Bigal1 said:

and you never make mistakes like misreading something?

In future forget the DD and go down to the office every month and pay over the counter

Aye thats really convenient for most people.

The letter on the back did give a multitude of other payment methods that thankfully dont require a battle to get into town and find a car parking space near Howden House.

Edited by HeHasRisen

32 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Aye thats really convenient for most people.

The letter on the back did give a multitude of other payment methods that thankfully dont require a battle to get into town and find a car parking space near Howden House.

Strewth mate it was not a serious suggestion

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

I dont think you read the letter properly. It said they would take double at the end of JULY, not the end of JUNE. I mentioned this earlier in the thread.

They had to give the requestite 10 working days notice to vary the amounts and by the time they sent the letters in June this would not have been possible, hence the double end of July instead.

Ah! Must have misread or most likely misremembered. That's good to know then.

26 minutes ago, Bigal1 said:

Strewth mate it was not a serious suggestion

To be fair to the poster, if you didn't clarify you weren't being serious, I would have though the same.

Perhaps add (!) to the end of the exclamatory sentence to signify sarcasm.

1 hour ago, arrowhead said:

To be fair to the poster, if you didn't clarify you weren't being serious, I would have though the same.

Perhaps add (!) to the end of the exclamatory sentence to signify sarcasm.

I can’t believe anyone would think it easier to pay over the counter