My Sim Only Contract With Three Expires In October, Should I Give 30 Days In Sep

My SIM Only contract with Three expires in October, should I give 30 days in September and go on GiffGaff cos it's cheaper?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. My SIM Only contract with Three expires in October, should I give 30 days in September and go on GiffGaff cos it's cheaper?

• Yes
    • No
    • See if you can get a cheaper contract with Three
    • Other (keep clean please)

Above.

Having researched the prices of a GiffGaff SIM, with a 30 day rolling contract and not being tied in for 2 years if it turns out to be bobbins, should I give Three the 30 days notice in September and go on GifGaff or Plusnet Mobile who both have 30 day rolling contracts or stay with Three and use my decent negotiating skills to get a cheaper contract with them? I currently pay £20 a month for unlimited everything, minutes, texts and data, but to be honest I only use about 2 or 3 Gig of data a month so I don't really need the unlimited data, but I do need unlimited minutes and texts as I make a lot of calls and that.

GiffGaff and Plusnet's cheapest packages are about £6-7 a month, which works out about a third of what I'm paying now and I'm trying to keep a check on my outgoings.

Does anyone have advice? The Poll's open as well.

Me and the kids have been with Giffgaff for around 4 years now 

No complaints from me really. Adequate data allowance, unlimited calls and text and if I'm skint one month and can't top up 1 or more of the phones then no biggie as I can still phone giffgaff to giffgaff for free without topping up. 

I'm not sure if you have to give 30 days. End of contract etc. I'd just request the PAC code. Double check as I'm not 100% sure.

I was recently on 3, then moved back to Giffgaff and found them both a bit poor on coverage. I ended up with a better deal from O2, but it was a 12 month contract. It was cheaper than the Giffgaff goodybag, and with 2GB more data. Very odd with the signal, being that Giffgaff use O2. So, I got 10GB data, unlimited minutes and unlimited text for £8 (6 months of Disney+ too)

I've had no issues but I know that some people don't want contracts.

Edited by zach

16 minutes ago, zach said:

I'm not sure if you have to give 30 days. End of contract etc. I'd just request the PAC code. Double check as I'm not 100% sure.

I was recently on 3, then moved back to Giffgaff and found them both a bit poor on coverage. I ended up with a better deal from O2, but it was a 12 month contract. It was cheaper than the Giffgaff goodybag, and with 2GB more data. Very odd with the signal, being that Giffgaff use O2. So, I got 10GB data, unlimited minutes and unlimited text for £8 (6 months of Disney+ too)

I've had no issues but I know that some people don't want contracts.

I think it's a legal thing, the 30 days notice I mean... You can't just suddenly end the contract without doing it in writing.

As far as contracts though, I've been with most of the big names including Orange and T-Mobile before they merged to form EE, and I've been with them as well, about 20 years ago my first ever mobile was on Virgin PAYG, not a bad little phone that Nokia 3210 my Brother bought me for my 25th birthday.

Edited by Mr Allen
More detail.

7 minutes ago, _lecro_ said:

Smarty !

1 month plan, cancel anytime

Unlimited calls & texts

Unrestricted tethering in the UK

No credit check

Fast 4G & 3G data

No speed caps

ect ect ect ........

Been with them for nearly 18 months not had an issue so far.

https://smarty.co.uk/

The link should read http://referme.to/t0FBhHp

At least tell people if you're using a referral link. 

1 minute ago, zach said:

The link should read http://referme.to/t0FBhHp

At least tell people if you're using a referral link. 

Also, no offence but I'm not sure if referral links are allowed on 'ere, you'd have to check with management :D 

5 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

I think it's a legal thing, the 30 days notice I mean... You can't just suddenly end the contract without doing it in writing.

As far as contracts though, I've been with most of the big names including Orange and T-Mobile before they merged to form EE, and I've been with them as well, about 20 years ago my first ever mobile was on Virgin PAYG, not a bad little phone that Nokia 3210 my Brother bought me for my 25th birthday.

Fair enough. I shall bow to your better knowledge 😉

As I said, the £8 O2 deal was just what I wanted, and the right money IMO. Plus I wanted to play with the eSIM & nano SIM in the same phone.

If they let us out by then (ending lockdown I mean) I'll hit the mobile shops in Meadowhall and see if I can get a good deal in September, including Three themselves, I'll tell 'em the contract's up for renewal a month later anyway and see if they can put me on a better deal.

1 minute ago, _lecro_ said:

Wasnt it obvious .. how else could they tell who refered the new user !

No, you tried hiding the referral from the OP. Be open about it, nothing wrong with getting a bit of commission IMO, just no need to hide the fact (or try)

I remember about 12-13 years ago both Dad and I were on Three for a contract, and they were confused because both our initials are R Allen, so they thought I was him and he was me! :loopy: 

It wasn't until I had to get Dad to ring 'em up and get a bit abrupt with them that they'd let me out of contract, even though it was well within the time I could've given the contractual 30 days notice.

13 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

If they let us out by then (ending lockdown I mean) I'll hit the mobile shops in Meadowhall and see if I can get a good deal in September, including Three themselves, I'll tell 'em the contract's up for renewal a month later anyway and see if they can put me on a better deal.

If 3 has worked well for you, no reason not to stay. I had issues so I switched. You might get a better deal by calling the 'want to leave 3' number/option.

2 minutes ago, zach said:

If 3 has worked well for you, no reason not to stay. I had issues so I switched. You might get a better deal by calling the 'want to leave 3' number/option.

Back then I had issues as I was still living at Home, and for some reason the signal up in Stannington is a bit naff with most providers.