Social None Distancing In Sheffield

Will they relax social distancing on June 21st?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Will they?

• Yes
    • No

9 hours ago, top4718 said:

People need to make their own decision whether it ends on the 21st or not, ditch the masks and go out and get your lives back.

The point of the masks is to 'get your life back' by protecting others from your potential infection. It's a small thing that if done by many, suppresses the virus. I don't understand this idea that if everyone decides 'We want our FREEDOM' the virus just disappears. 

The ideal situation would be the Reproduction rate continually if slowly falling. At the moment we're in the exact opposite position. The virus is increasing, and speeding up its spread. The rate is probably the most important factor: so long as it stays below the tipping point of exponential growth, hospitalisations and deaths will stay low and not collapse the NHS. Actual numbers of infections are still low, but only because of the lockdown and vaccinations done so far. Since lockdown was eased, daily infections have gone up from under 1000 to over 3000 a day. Vaccinations alone won't solve this, which is why the government was incredibly stupid to delay stopping flights from India. If the virus continues to spread faster, it will continue to mutate amongst unvaccinated people, producing new variants with new properties. That's why we have to keep on until it's pretty much  dead in the water. In India, where the virus is rampant, younger and younger people are falling victim to serious illness. We can't just assume that because people are under forty that they'll be safe.

Edited by birobasher

If the growth in cases continues at the same rate as for the last 4 weeks (based on 7-day moving average), then we'll be back at January's peak level in about 200 days. This however will mostly be among the young as the older population is heavily vaccinated, so there will not be nearly as many hospitalisations or deaths.

In reality, further vaccination among younger groups will slow this down, while further mutations will have unpredictable effects on rate and mortality.

3 hours ago, birobasher said:

The point of the masks is to 'get your life back' by protecting others from your potential infection. It's a small thing that if done by many, suppresses the virus. I don't understand this idea that if everyone decides 'We want our FREEDOM' the virus just disappears. 

So if the virus never goes away your happy to wear a fairly useless piece of cloth over your face for eternity, no thanks.

The actual point of these hideous masks is to give you a daily reminder that this sham is still being forced on us and no more.

Edited by top4718

It's not useless. The whole point is to reduce spread,  it can't end the pandemic by itself. The masks are just one measure, what should actually be doing the work are a) social distancing b) a properly functioning test and trace system c) decent sick pay and isolation payments d) a vaccine e) strict border control from infected countries. Do you remember before the pandemic you'd see Chinese students walking around the city centre wearing masks? It was normal to them because many of them lived in high density populations where infection could spread rapidly. They knew how it worked. In the UK, we didn't even bother to cover our mouths when we sneezed or coughed, or wash our hands after using a toilet, thus spreading infection readily as a matter of course. If the government finally gets its head out of its backside and controls the virus, masks won't be forever, but frankly they would still be useful sometimes. For instance, if you have to go to town or work when you're ill and shedding a cold virus, a mask would be a considerate move to avoid infecting your fellow workers, family or total strangers. 

Edited by birobasher

34 minutes ago, top4718 said:

So if the virus never goes away your happy to wear a fairly useless piece of cloth over your face for eternity, no thanks.

The actual point of these hideous masks is to give you a daily reminder that this sham is still being forced on us and no more.

Since wearing a mask over the last year or so neither myself or my family have had a cold or flue , so the hideous masks have worked for us .

Mum says I wear even more "hideous" masks when I attend Comic Cons, so wearing these masks are virtually the same, I still think I should've been exempt from day 1 though because A) I have a form of Autism and B) Putting on and removing the mask damages my hearing aid, but no, the clowns in London say I'm not exempt! :loopy: :rant: 

1 minute ago, Mr Allen said:

Mum says I wear even more "hideous" masks when I attend Comic Cons, so wearing these masks are virtually the same, I still think I should've been exempt from day 1 though because A) I have a form of Autism and B) Putting on and removing the mask damages my hearing aid, but no, the clowns in London say I'm not exempt! :loopy: :rant: 

I agree with your Mum. If you wear masks by choice for hours at Comic Cons etc then you’ve clearly not got an argument for being exempt.

Definitely a case of mum knows best .

20 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Since wearing a mask over the last year or so neither myself or my family have had a cold or flue , so the hideous masks have worked for us .

I’ll let my immune system deal with those as it’s always done, ridiculous argument.

It illustrates that masks do actually work. As does hand sanitising: incidents of norovirus and food poisoning have also dropped away since measures began. Your immune system can deal with cold viruses because a) they're not nearly so serious as Sars-Covid19 and b) it already has resistance to varying degrees. Covid is a completely new virus that no one in the world has any experience of or immunity to. Even 'flu needs new vaccines every winter to cope with the dominant strain. Same with Covid. 

Edited by birobasher

Stop bringing facts to the " argument"