Changing Relationships

A few decades ago finding and staying with a partner was partly about finding a "bread winner" because men were better paid.

People comment about women being a gold digger.

Are any of those things still relevant today? I get the impression that many older women are not interested in a relationship.

The lockdown has meant any social contact for the last year is nonexistant.

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

A few decades ago finding and staying with a partner was partly about finding a "bread winner" because men were better paid.

Are any of those things still relevant today? I get the impression that many older women are not interested in a relationship.

The lockdown has meant any social contact for the last year is nonexistant.

what's up, mrs cid have a headache last night?

11 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

🤣

Guest sibon
26 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

She didn’t. 😀

(joke)

These days a lot of women earn more than their husbands, but I think this is good, especially if the husband is ever ill and not earning money.

Are any of those things still relevant today?

It might be an important factor for some women who don’t work or have low paid jobs. It could be less relevant to a woman who has worked hard and established herself in a career. How materialistic a person is something to take into account. 

I get the impression that many older women are not interested in a relationship.

Some older women are content to have a gentleman friend but prefer their independence and don’t want to commit.

Edited by Jomie

9 hours ago, Jomie said:

It might be an important factor for some women who don’t work or have low paid jobs. It could be less relevant to a woman who has worked hard and established herself in a career. How materialistic a person is something to take into account. 

Some older women are content to have a gentleman friend but prefer their independence and don’t want to commit.

And that is a generational thing, fewer poor females these days. But men are still better paid in general.

It makes sense to share a home, but if the ladies feel that they have been doing all the work, they dont want to do it again.

'More or Less' on Radio 4 was discussing children still living at home and the data released by the Office of National Statistics. 

More men than women live at home for longer.

The reasons were varied and included more young women than men in higher education.

Young women (20s) now earn more than young men.

The average age of women setting up a home with a partner is still less than men but as childbirth happens later young women enjoy a longer period of financial independence.

23 hours ago, West 77 said:

One of the funniest allegations of gold digging was made by Mrs Merton regarding Debbie McGee. Paul Daniels was a struggling un famous magician when they met.

Yes that was really funny.!

When I got married I earned more than my ex, as his career progressed he caught up so I did the part time unsocial hours as the kids arrived. As the supplementary breadwinner I was not only sidelined in financial decisions during the relationship but have, post divorce, less of a private pension income. So no, as an older woman, I wouldn’t entangle my finances again 

On 30/05/2021 at 12:47, Jomie said:

If only I could find a gentleman friend but it's not easy,  I certainly don't want to live with another man as I need my space and risk spending my declining years looking after someone,  not got the energy.

On 04/06/2021 at 22:50, catmiss said:

When I got married I earned more than my ex, as his career progressed he caught up so I did the part time unsocial hours as the kids arrived. As the supplementary breadwinner I was not only sidelined in financial decisions during the relationship but have, post divorce, less of a private pension income. So no, as an older woman, I wouldn’t entangle my finances again 

I'm never married and far from an expert in divorce law but seeing some of the situations other people going through a divorce have been in cemented my view that I didn't want to get married.

Partner A earns less than partner B. Partner A has paid into a pension since day one, partner B never bothered. During divorce partner B was able to claim a portion of partner As pension. As I say I don't know the law about this, and don't know the full divorce terms but it Just doesn't seem right to me.