Odd Wi-Fi Problem

Our two computers normally sit near the router and so are plugged in with ethernet cables. For the last few days I've had to move them downstairs and connect via Wi-Fi, they're still side by side so no real difference in distance, etc.

One of them has started to drop the internet with "cannot connect to router" messages. No amount of re-booting or attempts to re-connect solved the problem. I made the other PC into a mobile hot spot and the cranky one connected to that OK. The next day, when it happened again, re-booting the router sorted it but only until the cranky one decided to drop the internet connection again. Once again, making the other PC a mobile hot spot allowed Mr Cranky to re-connect.

This is not a big problem as I'll be reconnecting via ethernet shortly but puzzling nevertheless.

Any ideas about what might be the cause of this idiosyncratic behaviour?

What router is it? If it's decent it should have logging available in the admin panel. Plus what computers? Mac, Windows, Linux? Is there anything shown in the logs there? Are wifi drivers up-to-date etc? Just listing the usual suspects :) 

Good questions those, once I have my study back I'll attempt to answer them.

get "WiFi analyzer" on your phone....

Find empty / least busy WiFi channel..

set router to use said channel(s)...

reconnect computers... see if problem persists...

On 28/05/2021 at 11:15, max said:

Our two computers normally sit near the router and so are plugged in with ethernet cables. For the last few days I've had to move them downstairs and connect via Wi-Fi, they're still side by side so no real difference in distance, etc.

One of them has started to drop the internet with "cannot connect to router" messages. No amount of re-booting or attempts to re-connect solved the problem. I made the other PC into a mobile hot spot and the cranky one connected to that OK. The next day, when it happened again, re-booting the router sorted it but only until the cranky one decided to drop the internet connection again. Once again, making the other PC a mobile hot spot allowed Mr Cranky to re-connect.

This is not a big problem as I'll be reconnecting via ethernet shortly but puzzling nevertheless.

Any ideas about what might be the cause of this idiosyncratic behaviour?

I get pretty much the same.

Two rooms away from the router (about 20 ft) - desktop regularly drops wi-fi connection, laptop and phone no problems.

Sat on the terrace less than 10ft from router and only separated by a window, laptop no problems, phone struggles.

@maxHow old is the 'misbehaving' machine?

@LongcolSame question.

Sounds like the Wi-Fi adapters are dodgy.

Edited by RollingJ

11 hours ago, Longcol said:

I get pretty much the same.

Two rooms away from the router (about 20 ft) - desktop regularly drops wi-fi connection, laptop and phone no problems.

Sat on the terrace less than 10ft from router and only separated by a window, laptop no problems, phone struggles.

how are the aerials for the desktop WiFi? - is it just a little USB dongle? if the Aerial's are damaged, or not placed correctly you will get weak signal and maybe drop-outs, if it's a USB dongle, the same can be said (but more so) because the antenna inside is so small...

Same for the phone, such a small antenna, and phones often put WiFi into 'low power' mode when they aren't in use, to save battery - so when you come to use your phone, it 'may' need to reconnect to the WiFi basically...

but the laptop, they generally have a minimum of one aerial around the screen... so from all the options likely has the better reception....

Also, do what I said above ... :)

9 minutes ago, walkertelecoms said:

If you want this sorting out get in touch.

Regards.

Sorry - 700 miles away in France 🙂

As you have normally been using ethernet connection and hardly used wifi have you unchecked 'Power Saving' settings in the properties of the wifi? By default, all versions of Windows have 'save power' checked at point of install, i.e., enable Windows to turn this device off to save power - this was designed with Notebooks in mind. I've even had to remind Techies at work about this when colleagues were having issues with Surface Pros - and that was the problem! 😉

10 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

As you have normally been using ethernet connection and hardly used wifi have you unchecked 'Power Saving' settings in the properties of the wifi? By default, all versions of Windows have 'save power' checked at point of install, i.e., enable Windows to turn this device off to save power - this was designed with Notebooks in mind. I've even had to remind Techies at work about this when colleagues were having issues with Surface Pros - and that was the problem! 😉

You're right, it can cause issues on mobile devices running Windows (maybe others)

WiFi and USB power save are a thing I turn off without fail. It can be a very annoying 'feature' This rule of mine applies to mobile and desktop type setups.

Although a good point, I think the OPs issue may be a bit deeper than a power setting. We'll see, if they get round to digging into it a bit more.

Sorry, not been back to this as I've now reconnected the ethernet cables; I only moved the machines due to having rooms decorated. I will look at all the solutions proposed and answer any probing questions shortly.

Thanks again for all your inputs.