Mark's And Spencer To Close Around 30 Stores

Initially M&S and John Lewis in Sheffield faced little competition from Meadowhall to the extent that M&S was given long term "inducements" and arrived late on the Meadowhall scene. John Lewis was then looking for bigger city centre.

Meadowhall had at that time the lowest spend per visit of any UK mall and was failing to attract customers from the west of the city. 

John Lewis was then looking for bigger city centre.

Internet shopping, availability of banking and other services online, car ownership etc. have changed shopping patterns everywhere but particularly in the west of the city. The proximity advantage has been eroded.

19 hours ago, Baron99 said:

The way Fargate is looking, many empty retail units, wrong side of town now the main shopping area is focused on The Moor, I could see the Fargate M&S closing in a few years. 

Let's face it, food hall apart, most of the shoppers going in for clothes are probably in the 50+ demographic, including my wife & myself in that group.  

It's also much easier to shop at M&S at Meadowhall with parking not such of an issue as well as having a bigger choice of other retailers easier to hand.  It'd be interesting to find out what the difference is in the footfall between the Fargate & Meadowhall & what the average spend per customer is as well? 

At the end of the day, its such as those figures that would dictate a store closure.  M&S will retain a presence in Sheffield but I reckon the Fargate site is living on borrowed time?

I rarely venture down the Moor, if the Tram went down that end I'd go more often but it doesn't, the closest Tram stops would be either the outward City Hall stop, bottom of West St, or the Cathedral stop.

So get off at City Hall, walk down Pinstone St, and get to The Moor that way, quite a long walk that IMO.

Are you not going to address your mistake on the first page of this thread?

6 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

who?

9 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Are you not going to stop deliberately trying to wind me up or do I have to bring you to the attention of the Mods, again?!

5 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

who?

Not you. The person who said you have to walk through M&S to get into Meadowhall.. has been called out on it by at least 4 people and has conveniently ignored it 🤣

Apparently I am not allowed to ask him to reply to it 🙄

Edited by HeHasRisen

24 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Not you. The person who said you have to walk through M&S to get into Meadowhall.. has been called out on it by at least 4 people and has conveniently ignored it 🤣

oh ok, it wasn't clear from your post who you were talking too, perhaps they didn't know either but now everyone knows.

Having caught a report of this through the links on Google - this is (currently) a ten-year plan, not the instantaneous intention, as it first appears if you just read headlines.