Mark's And Spencer To Close Around 30 Stores

Been announced marks and spencer are to close around 30 stores.  With thousands of jobs at risk.   Yes another nail in the coffin for the high street    Not sure if any in Sheffield will be affected 

They have already closed about 100 ,I think.

£200million in loses last year.

Soon there's a sales tax on internet buys the better

They won't close the big one at Meadowhall, you literally have to walk through it to get to the main shopping centre! :loopy: 

7 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

They won't close the big one at Meadowhall, you literally have to walk through it to get to the main shopping centre! :loopy: 

So?  You literally had to walk through Sainsbury's and that still got closed down.

Edited by Arnold_Lane

11 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

It used to be closed on Sundays. It opened along time after Meadowhall opened.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

47 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

Erm, no you dont.

it didnt stop debenhams closing?

3 hours ago, Mr Allen said:

No you don't

3 hours ago, Mr Allen said:

Errm. No you don't.   What about the big giant escalators and purpose built lift that connect between the interchange footbridge and a dedicated entrance to the mall.

Just how exactly do you think people get back to the bus and train station when the shops have closed?   What do you think they've been doing all these months of the pandemic when most of the M&S store has been closed off and shuttered up?

Think you need to be a little more observant next time you go.  Now since you are obviously a fan of the emojis to emphasise a point.. ah yes... perfect fit... 🙄

Edited by ECCOnoob

The way Fargate is looking, many empty retail units, wrong side of town now the main shopping area is focused on The Moor, I could see the Fargate M&S closing in a few years. 

Let's face it, food hall apart, most of the shoppers going in for clothes are probably in the 50+ demographic, including my wife & myself in that group.  

It's also much easier to shop at M&S at Meadowhall with parking not such of an issue as well as having a bigger choice of other retailers easier to hand.  It'd be interesting to find out what the difference is in the footfall between the Fargate & Meadowhall & what the average spend per customer is as well? 

At the end of the day, its such as those figures that would dictate a store closure.  M&S will retain a presence in Sheffield but I reckon the Fargate site is living on borrowed time?

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

The way Fargate is looking, many empty retail units, wrong side of town now the main shopping area is focused on The Moor, I could see the Fargate M&S closing in a few years. 

Let's face it, food hall apart, most of the shoppers going in for clothes are probably in the 50+ demographic, including my wife & myself in that group.  

It's also much easier to shop at M&S at Meadowhall with parking not such of an issue as well as having a bigger choice of other retailers easier to hand.  It'd be interesting to find out what the difference is in the footfall between the Fargate & Meadowhall & what the average spend per customer is as well? 

At the end of the day, its such as those figures that would dictate a store closure.  M&S will retain a presence in Sheffield but I reckon the Fargate site is living on borrowed time?

Was saying this the other day.Particularly with John Lewis closing that side of town is really starting to look desperate,The Moor area is now the place to be in town.They are very much in the wrong place.

Marks and Spencers are just too expensive for most only the food range keeps the money rolling in for the moment. Primark and Aldi have taken the market share if you are cheap enough you make an profit too expensive you go out of business survival of the fittest retail version is now in play.