Should We Replace The First Past The Post Election System ?

The Scottish parliament and elections for the Mayor of London use Proportional Representation which in my humble opinion is an fairer system than the Victorian First Past The Post we have now which gives the winner all the power. 

I think opposition parties should put this idea in their manifestos and possibly work together to archive this aim along with other electoral reforms. I know the Coalition government did an referendum on AV  but it felt rushed at the time no in depth information for people to understand how it all works.  Do you want major election reforms on how we choose which parties have power? 

Unquestionably, it leads to hugely unrepresentative government.

Think the Cameron was the least representative elected gov in our history.

YouTube clip , CPGrey.

Wasn't it in a referendum after the Labour landslide in 97 ? and the good folk of the country didn't back it ,mind you both main parties campaigned against it too 

I despair of this country

Edited by butlers

I did read somewhere that only two countries in Europe use FPTP. The UK and Belarus. 

Says it all.

It fuels political alienation if in effect 70 plus percent of seats are in effect locked to one party.

Make every vote count, it's unhealthy even if " your" party is in the winning position

39 minutes ago, butlers said:

Wasn't it in a referendum after the Labour landslide in 97 ? and the good folk of the country didn't back it ,mind you both main parties campaigned against it too 

I despair of this country

It was twisted into AV, which no-one fell for...

That's right ,so long back.

absolutely change it,  a mixed system along the lines of fewer constituancies where the mp is elected by fptp and a regional list which is used to adjust the number of mp's returned by each region based on the proportion of the local vote would appear to retain the advantages of a strong link between an mp and constituant and a parliament more reflective of the vote. 

3 hours ago, GabrielC said:

The Scottish parliament and elections for the Mayor of London use Proportional Representation which in my humble opinion is an fairer system than the Victorian First Past The Post we have now which gives the winner all the power. 

Although the  Scottish parliament use a Mixed Member Proportional representation system which is a form of AMS the London Mayoral election and other Mayoral elections in the UK use the Supplementary Vote system which is not PR. 

3 hours ago, GabrielC said:

....I know the Coalition government did an referendum on AV  but it felt rushed at the time no in depth information for people to understand how it all works. 

The trouble was that the AV system also was not PR. What we need first to do is define what we mean by PR as there are several forms of it and then stick to just one.

6 hours ago, apelike said:

Although the  Scottish parliament use a Mixed Member Proportional representation system which is a form of AMS the London Mayoral election and other Mayoral elections in the UK use the Supplementary Vote system which is not PR. 

The trouble was that the AV system also was not PR. What we need first to do is define what we mean by PR as there are several forms of it and then stick to just one.

The Supplementary Vote system is not FPTP, so its a form of PR, maybe a poor one, yes.

10 hours ago, GabrielC said:

I think opposition parties should put this idea in their manifestos and possibly work together to archive this aim along with other electoral reforms.

Scottish Local Government Elections are conducted under the Single Transferable Vote (STV) electoral system.

Their democracy in Scotland is much better than Englands, local authourity workers can also stand for election, where as in England they cannot.

Roughly 30% of people are barred from standing for public office.

46 minutes ago, El Cid said:

The Supplementary Vote system is not FPTP, so its a form of PR, maybe a poor one, yes.

Sorry but its not as it is used to elect a single winner and at no time is PR involved.

https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/voting-systems/types-of-voting-system/supplementary-vote/

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Scottish Local Government Elections are conducted under the Single Transferable Vote (STV) electoral system.

Their democracy in Scotland is much better than Englands, local authourity workers can also stand for election, where as in England they cannot.

Roughly 30% of people are barred from standing for public office.

I think the Holyrood system is the one I would prefer seems to work well. 

11 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I did read somewhere that only two countries in Europe use FPTP. The UK and Belarus. 

Says it all.

the same Belarus that was in the news  couple of days ago ?