Sasha Johnson Blm Black Panther Of London

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, Waldo said:

What restricted opportunities due to race?

Take your pick - employment, education etc etc 

1 hour ago, altus said:

That's not the example you think it is. Imagine two people working for the same company getting paid the same (so same future prospects). One buys a property in an impoverished area because they are cheaper, they'll have a lower mortgage and so lower repayments/more disposable income. The other buys a more expensive property in a more affluent area and so they'll have higher repayments and less disposable income. Which would be at greater risk of defaulting on a loan? A bank discriminating based on where they live would be to ignore their personal financial circumstances.

Well, my example relates to someone from a less affluent area, who wishes to move to a more expensive area. I am assuming that because they come from a poor area, they probably don't have the means at their disposal to afford a more expensive property. Hence the bank's reluctance to loan them the cash. They may however, come from a poor area, but have a business, or other means of income, such that they could prove to the bank they can make repayments, in which case (in an ideal world) they get the mortgage.

However, what 'butlers' is referring to (couldn't check all the links he provided, some behind a paywall, but get the gist) is something else altogether. Depriving people of ability to move to a nice area, when they can afford it, solely on the basis of their ethnicity, is simple racism.

The point about people making themselves more 'white' to get job interviews. You first need to eradicate the tendency we have to feel more comfortable around people like ourselves (suspect this is why recruiters have a subconscious bias to hire people like themselves, as they're more relatable etc). Anyhow, stamp that tendency out completely, such that a person of one ethnicity would feel no more or less comfortable around people from different ethnicities, than they would amongst their own, and we'd all be good. Can you see that happening?

7 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Take your pick - employment, education etc etc 

Cool. Please provide examples where someone has been deprived an opportunity solely on the basis of their race. I'll be the first to condemn!

21 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Well, my example relates to someone from a less affluent area, who wishes to move to a more expensive area. I am assuming that because they come from a poor area, they probably don't have the means at their disposal to afford a more expensive property. Hence the bank's reluctance to loan them the cash. They may however, come from a poor area, but have a business, or other means of income, such that they could prove to the bank they can make repayments, in which case (in an ideal world) they get the mortgage.

People from poorer areas doing well for themselves and people from wealthy areas doing the opposite is common enough that it wouldn't make sense for banks to let where people come from influence lending decisions.

8 minutes ago, altus said:

People from poorer areas doing well for themselves and people from wealthy areas doing the opposite is common enough that it wouldn't make sense for banks to let where people come from influence lending decisions.

Well no, I wouldn’t expect it (the area you come from) to be the sole factor in a bank’s decision. I would think the average wealth of people living in affluent areas to be greater than average wealth of people living in poor areas. Richer people with more income being given loans that banks are unwilling to give poorer people with less income. Essentially the bank wants to know if you can repay the loan and will they profit from you.

Edited by Waldo

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Cool. Please provide examples where someone has been deprived an opportunity solely on the basis of their race. I'll be the first to condemn!

You don’t think this happens?

8 minutes ago, makapaka said:

You don’t think this happens?

Undoubtedly it happens.

What’s in question, is how often is it discrimination based solely on a person’s race, and not some other factor?

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Some data here on the fortunes of graduates by ethnic group. There is some data as well about relative wages for people with the same degree, which I'll try and find.

Here you go https://www.peoplemanagement.co.uk/news/articles/black-male-graduates-7000-pay-penalty-report-finds

Edited by Delbow

Black male graduates experience earning on average 17 per cent less than white men, the equivalent of £7,000 when working full-time, a report published today has found.

First thing that springs to mind, is that 17% a comparison of average wage between whites and blacks, or a compassion of wages for the same role / position between whites and blacks?

I believe there is a simular statistic between men and women. On average men earn more, but if you compare within the same role, it’s the same pay (believe pay inequality for same role is illegal?).

15 minutes ago, Waldo said:

First thing that springs to mind, is that 17% a comparison of average wage between whites and blacks, or a compassion of wages for the same role / position between whites and blacks?

I believe there is a simular statistic between men and women. On average men earn more, but if you compare within the same role, it’s the same pay (believe pay inequality for same role is illegal?).

Pay inequality for the same role is illegal. That is not the problem here, the problem is that the higher paying roles are less likely to be offered to Black graduates than white graduates, which causes and then perpetuates the pay gap. It's really not difficult to see why - I've done loads of recruitment, and it's not a science. It's humans picking other humans, and while we can (and should) try to select on merit, humans also like familiarity, and if the people doing the picking can relate to you better than someone else then it gives you the edge.

Then if the majority of the people doing the picking are white, which they are, then it gives us white people an edge. There are a lot of people who don't want to accept this, because most people want to feel that they got a job because they were the best candidate, and it makes them feel uncomfortable to consider whether that might not always have been true. But I have accepted that maybe I wasn't always the best candidate for the jobs I got. I'm good in job interviews, very good in fact. My current employer told me I 'blew them away' in my interview. As usual, the panel was all white, we were all from the same culture. What if we weren't? Would I still have blown them away? Maybe, maybe not.

Edited by Delbow

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, Waldo said:

Undoubtedly it happens.

What’s in question, is how often is it discrimination based solely on a person’s race, and not some other factor?

Sorry I don’t get you. If it happens undoubtedly - why do you need another factor to contribute?

On 25/05/2021 at 19:40, Consheff said:

Do you think that the woke will realise the hypocrisy of this woman and realise that the far left side of labour are only interested in Stiring up racial tension to gain votes but at the end of the day the people that suffer are the ones they are using to advance their ideology disgraceful from can't count won't count #showing the #truecolors of the far left 

I bet you wont hear a peep from her or labour it will be like cricket's now the truth of the matter has been released  and I bet it has something yo do with drugs 100%

Interesting that you, along with countless others have chosen to to use the word 'woke' as a term of derision.

Just listening to his Dad, paying tribute to his son:

Mr Merritt described his son as a “good man helping people less fortunate than himself”.

He continued: “Jack understood the factors that have led many of the people he worked with to end up in prison. And they understood the value of kindness and friendship – helping damaged people repair their lives.”

Mr Merritt added: “Jack would have described himself proudly as woke, the opposite, by definition, being ignorant. Jack was a do-gooder in the very best sense of the term.”

London Bridge attack: 'Collective blind spot' of police and MI5 led to Fishmongers’ Hall deaths, inquest finds (inews.co.uk)

First time I've heard someone use 'woke' or 'do gooder' as a positive term of endearment. 

It's a sad reflection on our times that such terms as 'social justice warrior' or 'woke' are normally seen as terms of abuse. But then we live in a society where Boris Johnson, someone whose supporters revel in his stirring up of racial tension, can get an 80 seat majority.

Edited by Mister M