Northern Radio Northern General Hospital Location

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I9mNcV_e8mSognNfYG1pz3hhkexaBzG9/view?usp=drivesdk

View of what was the original sheffield hospital radio studio, now stripped bare. But you can still see old power supply system and former cabling in the corner. Taken from external window, originally this window was covered on the inside 

Edited by goldenfleece

I went to try and get on to Northern Radio when it  was at Nether Edge but the first time I went I had to go and collect the requests all they wanted was the old rugged cross. Never went again.

Sounds familiar, The Old Rugged Cross and any Jim Reeves seemed to be a staple of hospital radio. I did the second ever show on Northern from NGH, a Sunday morning one with Mike Thompson, and I think the newest record I played was from the late 50's.

Before we moved to Lodge Moor I was doing a show one evening when I got a request for someone's mum who was in the hospital. It turned out to be Doug Wyer's mum, he was a Sheffield speedway rider at the time, and I persuaded him to come to the studio and we did a quick interview! Happy days

Nigel L

On 29/05/2021 at 15:02, Lemmy117 said:

Sounds familiar, The Old Rugged Cross and any Jim Reeves seemed to be a staple of hospital radio. I did the second ever show on Northern from NGH, a Sunday morning one with Mike Thompson, and I think the newest record I played was from the late 50's.

The Old Rugged Cross!!! Now HOW many times did I have to play that memorable 'anthem'. There were a few always requested songs, and artists, Harry Secombe was popular too.  I used to do a Tuesday evening weekly show in 1979 called MENAGERIE, which was a mix -up of oldies and some recent MOR stuff. A few days ago I went to sit outside the 'cleaning cupboard', there is a couple of small tables and chairs just alongside it by the doorway, and had on one of my recordings of the weekly 1979 show I did on earphones. It took me back.......That corridor now is almost abandoned, I sat there for an hour and no one came in the door or left. It used to be far busier when the studio was there, constant clatter of footsteps. 

I wish I still had the 35mm slides I took of the inside the studio. Not been able to track them down, but I had snaps of the mixing desk, and the racks, and a few with the door open. Think I got some snaps of Gordon Harrison doing a request show, Mike Thompson doing a Soul show, and a few others. Can't find it anywhere though. 

Those photos bring a lot of memories flooding back goldenfleece. It was a lot darker woodwork back in the day.
Demis Roussos always seemed to be a popular request too :)
I remember Mike Rouse reading out an appeal for people to join the new hospital radio station at the Northern General Hospital. My friend and I went to a meeting in the big boardroom as mentioned earlier.

I had only just left school and getting there across town on the bus was a pain. Spent most of my time at HBS / Norther Radio collecting requests but did get to do at least one request show.
We used to break into the Radio 2 feed for a couple of hours to transmit to the wards.
A guy called Eric had cobbled together some home made announcments and bits of generic Pepper Tanner jingles.
I wish I'd been able to carry on, but i got a job and couldn't juggle the two.

Edited by Marky Baby