Northern Radio Northern General Hospital Location

I used to do hospital radio back in 1978, when Northern radio were at the NGH, predating the move to Lodge Moor. 

I remember the location as being a converted porters Lodge just inside an entrance of an old building. Am I correct that this was in fact the clock tower building, which was a main public entrance in the 70's? As you walked in up some steps, you emerged into a short corridor, converted porters Lodge on the right, and a huge meeting room with large table was off a short corridor to the left. Straight ahead from the main entrance the other short, wider corridor led to a T junction with the Vickers corridor, stretching off to the left and right. 

Looking at some internal pics of the clock tower building now, it seems not familiar at all, so am I correct in the clock tower entrance being the original location of the radio studio? 

Anyone who remembers, please enlighten me, as I want to go back and have a look around if I can. 

Edited by goldenfleece

If it's the same place as I think it is, it'll be in the Clock Tower up at the NGH, from September 2007 to April 2011 I volunteered for Hospital Broadcasting Sheffield, which broadcasts to the Hallamshire, Weston Park and Northern General Hospitals, only reason I left was because at the time I was doing 2 voluntary jobs, there and for SYP, and there was possibly a chance of a volunteer job with SYP teaching people IT skills, at Zest in Upperthorpe, but it fell off due to lack of demand.

I dont think it was the clock tower, i seem to recall that it was off one of the internal roads up some steps with the studio being a small room to the right of the entrance.  I used to go before it moved to Lodge Moor while they were building the studio then for a couple of years after they transferred

Not in the clock tower building. I always went in from the Herries road entrance, so went along Vickers corridor, turned right and it was a converted cleaners store down a couple of steps before going out of the building

If you look on the NGH plans you can download, go in at the entrance marked 20 next to Medical Physics, that is the Vickers corridor, turn left and you cant miss it. I was there last year, the old studio is still there, back as a cleaners storeroom again. A lot has changed around there, the room with the large table has gone, now some offices, and the old telephone booths have been boarded over, there's also a cafe! I spoke to a cleaner who was wondering what I was doing there, when I explained that forty odd years ago it was a radio studio she was intrigued, and opened the door for me. Hard to believe what was once there, nothing survives.

Nigel L

Many thanks for that. I will try and find it. It was so difficult remembering which entrance it was near to, the sheer size of that place 

12 hours ago, Lemmy117 said:

I was there last year, the old studio is still there, back as a cleaners storeroom again. A lot has changed around there, the room with the large table has gone, now some offices, and the old telephone booths have been boarded over, there's also a cafe! I spoke to a cleaner who was wondering what I was doing there, when I explained that forty odd years ago it was a radio studio she was intrigued, and opened the door for me. Hard to believe what was once there, nothing survives.

Fascinating. Can you still access that area from the door leading outside? On google earth its hard to see if that exit leads to anything, but I am sure there were some steps leading up to it off a small car park.  I don't recall the phone boxes, where were these situated?

Edited by goldenfleece

Yes you can get in from the other side of the building. If you look on Google maps it is the building just below Central Lane, the door is in the the right hand side of the building where that bit sticks out. There were more steps down to the road to the road marked Central Way.

Going in through that door the studio was on the right, then up a couple of steps, to the left was the room with the large table, straight ahead  on the left hand side were the phone booths, and then I think were some toilets. Opposite the booths there is now a cafe.

Nigel L

I worked as a porter at the NGH. The hospital radio was located in a small room near the front hall on the Vickers corridor which was used has the post room back then.

I knew a Sheffield landlord Laurence Newman who used to run  the hospital radio  not heard him for years .

2 hours ago, cuttsie said:

I knew a Sheffield landlord Laurence Newman who used to run  the hospital radio  not heard him for years .

I think he moved on from Northern Radio to the one at the children's hospital, he died a good few years ago.

Nigel L

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HjRPw8pndpiKvGqdrFLDSe3_pNU3xRBn/view?usp=drivesdk

And there it is, the external view of the old studio. Found it just now. And it still has the Yale lock on it!  Somewhere at home I still have an original key.

And pic below, the front entrance, very much hidden down a side road. It was much busier back in the 70's as an active entrance, I remember the studio was not soundproofed at all, and both the door glass and the frosted glass windows (now covered) let in all external sound. When someone walked past or was talking in the corridor, if you had the microphone open, it was all broadcast!!!  Fun days. And yes, it was as small as it looks, you could just about get 2 people in but it was a real tight fit sat at the radio desk! 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HvY4VnW9r_TqzxOiujnfKJFL5v2wT9tP/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by goldenfleece

On 23/05/2021 at 22:37, Lemmy117 said:

Not in the clock tower building. I always went in from the Herries road entrance, so went along Vickers corridor, turned right and it was a converted cleaners store down a couple of steps before going out of the building

If you look on the NGH plans you can download, go in at the entrance marked 20 next to Medical Physics, that is the Vickers corridor, turn left and you cant miss it. I was there last year, the old studio is still there, back as a cleaners storeroom again. A lot has changed around there, the room with the large table has gone, now some offices, and the old telephone booths have been boarded over, there's also a cafe! I spoke to a cleaner who was wondering what I was doing there, when I explained that forty odd years ago it was a radio studio she was intrigued, and opened the door for me. Hard to believe what was once there, nothing survives.

Nigel L

found it. Pix in my other post as went there last night