On 21/05/2021 at 23:08, catmiss said:

Matt Hancock said he feels the pandemic has led the way for future GP working, I really hope not. After a telephone diagnosis by a trainee GP, accepted by telephone appointment by a new GP I’d never met I waited 10 days for a telephone appointment with a doctor I knew and trusted. She was sceptical re the  diagnosis and sent me for further investigations. 10 days later I rang for results today (Friday ) receptionist tells me doctor needs to see them and receptionist rang me back this pm and delivered a life changing  different diagnosis, no advice or treatment. No appointment available next week but I can try daily for appointment with any available GP.  Progress????

At  the Flowers Health Centre in Wincobank I watched incredulously as a patient, prevented from entry by the locked doors, spoke to someone via the intercom on the door and was handed a prescription through a window! GP consultation has become a joke.  For some real insight on the matter, visit: https://delingpole.podbean.com/e/nina-1621086702/

2 hours ago, Yosemite Sam said:

At  the Flowers Health Centre in Wincobank I watched incredulously as a patient, prevented from entry by the locked doors, spoke to someone via the intercom on the door and was handed a prescription through a window! GP consultation has become a joke.  For some real insight on the matter, visit: https://delingpole.podbean.com/e/nina-1621086702/

Or was just collecting a waiting prescription, with no need for GP consultation. Which was it? Did you clarify before posting on here, or prefer the slag-off first, fact-check later/never option?

On 21/05/2021 at 23:08, catmiss said:

Matt Hancock said he feels the pandemic has led the way for future GP working, I really hope not.

I certainly hope not too.

I  feel it is totally unacceptable to not give the patient a  window time slot of say 2hrs or maybe 3hrs max for the call back. To tell the patient that  the call will be sometime  in the afternoon is just ridiculous. 

On 22/05/2021 at 19:28, cuttsie said:

Pubs are open and staff at work , binmen, bus drivers , shop assistants, cafe's, hospital doctors and nurses , builders , steel workers , police, fire fighters 

I don't think this can be disputed.

A diagnosis over the phone has a greater risk of being wrong than a face to face examination. I think the OP unfortunately found this to be the case.

3 hours ago, Janus said:

I don't think this can be disputed.

A diagnosis over the phone has a greater risk of being wrong than a face to face examination. I think the OP unfortunately found this to be the case.

The biggest problem is the time it takes to get through on the phone , my own call took 40 mins  , many just give up and suffer in silence , the problem is those who  actually complain about the situation are Black listed , The NH S at  Dr surgery level is in crisis , unless you can pay off course in which case you are fast tracked , a situation that is a disgrace to all in the health service .

40 minutes is a long time to get through. I could not cope with that. Is there an option to change to a different surgery.  

The best advice I can give anyone is avoid phoning up on Mondays. 

I've never had any issues with getting through to my GP.

I'm aware not everyone is technically minded, but it may be worth investigating whether your GP offers a mobile app / online booking service (Ours uses Patient Access) whereby you can book the appointments; without the need of waiting long periods on the phone. This information is usually found on their website.
Our GP also offers an online contact form that allows you to raise a request to have a doctor contact back for existing/new medical concerns (essentially book an appointment/call back) or even general enquiries whereby you can get a call or text response from them. They respond within 2 working days. I've even had video consultations with the GP.

I can't fault it. It has saved me so many hours of phoning and waiting, and reduces the trips so that the doctors/nurses can actually see those who are genuinely in need to be seen.

Edited by burghley

Our GP stopped doing the online booking service at the start of covid and they are still not doing it.

10 hours ago, burghley said:

I've never had any issues with getting through to my GP.

I'm aware not everyone is technically minded, but it may be worth investigating whether your GP offers a mobile app / online booking service (Ours uses Patient Access) whereby you can book the appointments; without the need of waiting long periods on the phone. This information is usually found on their website.
Our GP also offers an online contact form that allows you to raise a request to have a doctor contact back for existing/new medical concerns (essentially book an appointment/call back) or even general enquiries whereby you can get a call or text response from them. They respond within 2 working days. I've even had video consultations with the GP.

I can't fault it. It has saved me so many hours of phoning and waiting, and reduces the trips so that the doctors/nurses can actually see those who are genuinely in need to be seen.

Most pensioners have no idea what you are on about .

8 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Thats insulting to pensioners, plenty of them have decided not to be stuck in the dark ages and have actually kept up with technology.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Thats insulting to pensioners, plenty of them have decided not to be stuck in the dark ages and have actually kept up with technology.

And many more, particularly the most elderly, the disadvantaged and poor who perhaps have more need of doctors and health care, are at a complete loss with the new systems and don't have smart phones etc. Even those with access and nouse are finding the new systems horrendous. 

It's also interesting that health minister Matt Hancock has a vested interest in the new technology as his family own the company that runs the doctor phone app, so no surprise he's pushing it.

It's privatisation of the NHS by the back door, and it's all over the system.

NHS Dentistry is in a similar pickle with people being forced to go expensively private if they need treatment.

And don't get me started on care homes... 

Edited by Anna B

2 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Hence I said 'I'm aware not everyone is technically minded', incase you missed that bit. The surgeries would have information, in written and other formats that can provide instructions how to do it. Based on the fact they can even try get through to them in the first place.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

And many more, particularly the most elderly, the disadvantaged and poor who perhaps have more need of doctors and health care, are at a complete loss with the new systems and don't have smart phones etc. Even those with access and nouse are finding the new systems horrendous. 

It's a clear communication issue.  It's out there, yet nobody talks about it enough so people aren't aware of how they can access the information or support people to find an alternative method that works for them. I made the point that there is an option available.
It's a shame that people are too embarrassed to ask others to help them, whether that be family or friends to even get them an appointment. As long as the surgeries are aware one way or another that they can have a nominated person to contact on their behalf due to circumstances beyond their control, it would make it that much easier.
No system will ever work for everyone, things have to be and will be adapted, but at the same time people have to work out a way that is suitable for them.
I've had to, and that's coming from someone who has  medical needs that require the doctors attention every other month.