Matt Hancock said he feels the pandemic has led the way for future GP working, I really hope not. After a telephone diagnosis by a trainee GP, accepted by telephone appointment by a new GP I’d never met I waited 10 days for a telephone appointment with a doctor I knew and trusted. She was sceptical re the  diagnosis and sent me for further investigations. 10 days later I rang for results today (Friday ) receptionist tells me doctor needs to see them and receptionist rang me back this pm and delivered a life changing  different diagnosis, no advice or treatment. No appointment available next week but I can try daily for appointment with any available GP.  Progress????

Edited by catmiss
Typo

There are huge inconsistencies between GP services across the country.  I am happy with the service i get from mine.  They respond promptly, offer alternative types of consultation and are helpful.

Guest busdriver1

I wish I could agree. My local GP practise has seen them all working from home with no face to face appointments for over a year. Regular tests I am ment to have have not taken place and as a result have lost my place in the queue for surgery. 

I used to see my GP every six months and six moths' routine prescriptions were sent to the pharmacy; this is what has happened this time.  Phoned GP Surgery for appointment; told to phone Sheffield Prescription Line.  Phoned Sheffield Prescription Line; told they do not issue repeats of the medication I needed; phone surgery.  Phoned surgery; told I needed to speak to pharmacist so receptionist  made appointment for pharmacist to phone me (a week later).  Pharmacist phoned; needed blood tests before prescriptions could be issued; issued prescription for ONE month only; would make appointment for me to have blood tests.  Blood sample sample two weeks later.  Results received at surgery.   Still awaiting prescriptions.  All phone calls required being in a queue and were time consuming.  Everyone was helpful, patient and polite doing the job the system had assigned to them.  I never spoke to a doctor.   I wonder what it must have cost in staff salaries, etc. for such a simple need to be met (i.e. reissue routine prescriptions) and how frustrating it must be for the personnel working in such a system?  "The NHS needs more money" we are told; may be it would need less if processes were more efficient!

Pubs are open and staff at work , binmen, bus drivers , shop assistants, cafe's, hospital doctors and nurses , builders , steel workers , police, fire fighters  ,in fact uncle Tom Cobley and all except our local surgery at Burncross where you have to be on the phone for 40 mins to get a reply  that usually says go away and multiply .

3 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Pubs are open and staff at work , binmen, bus drivers , shop assistants, cafe's, hospital doctors and nurses , builders , steel workers , police, fire fighters  ,in fact uncle Tom Cobley and all except our local surgery at Burncross where you have to be on the phone for 40 mins to get a reply  that usually says go away and multiply .

If they are genuinely saying that to you, you need to report them to the General Medical Council 

If they aren't & you're embroidering the truth for your own purpose, why?

Could you report back to us so that we're all clear? Many thanks 

What it means is many patients do not get beyond who ever is on the phone at the other end , in other words fobbed off.. Just ask around 

I beg to differ. I have had excellent service from my G.P. all through the pandemic. I have rang several times after 8 am and each time I got  a telephone appointment for the same day. On 2 occasions I also got a same day face to face appointment. Brilliant. Jaunty springs health centre.

Edited by Kidorry
Added text.

53 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

What it means is many patients do not get beyond who ever is on the phone at the other end , in other words fobbed off.. Just ask around 

But you just said that you got told to go forth & multiply. Did that genuinely happen? I'm trying to help you here because if that is the case I think you should complain to the General Medical Council. 

Seriously, heads need to roll if that happened

40 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

I beg to differ. I have had excellent service from my G.P. all through the pandemic. I have rang several times after 8 am and each time I got  a telephone appointment for the same day. On 2 occasions I also got a same day face to face appointment. Brilliant.

Thats  brilliant 

I'm not the biggest fan of my GP surgery but I must give credit where it's due.  During the pandemic they have been very good, I've had one telephone appointment and my husband has had several ..... no problem, all dealt with efficiently.   ( Thank you to Worsbrough Health Centre, Barnsley )

I don’t think receptionists should give diagnoses without offering a timely, at least GP telephone appointment to discuss on going care/treatment. Conveniently my GPs online complaint form  is missing a submit option. I’ve been with this practice all my life and have previously been happy with their service