Sign in to follow this  

Learning C# For Game Programming?

Topic.

I'm signed up to a few sites such as Udemy, Zenva and Pirple.com for programming lessons, but is there any other preferably UK based sites that offer free learning, that Pirple.com's not bad, $5 for lifetime access, at current exchange rate it works out about 4 quid (I think)

Anyone know any good sites?

I've had a look on Google and all the good ones are American.

The best way I find to learn something like that...

just google "C# Tutorials" find some stuff, and read...

Find and read how to setup the IDE's and compilers properly, find a small 'test' program to check you're setup properly...
Once setup, with a simple test program, just start playing with things, reading what the things in the 'test' program do, change things, see how it affects things (always save an original copy of the 'test' program)

Learn by doing....  shouldn't be any need to pay, if you just have the patience :)

You’ll find loads of stuff on YouTube, no charge.

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

You’ll find loads of stuff on YouTube, no charge.

Thanks, I had a look earlier on there and found a C# tutorial specific to Unity, which is what I wanted, and bookmarked it to view when I can get everything working.

Google "C# yellow book" and you'll find the actual course book one lecturer wrote for his course. 

Tons of free ebooks books here  https://github.com/selfteaching/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md

More advanced (since Im here) someone's been puling the highest rated answer from StackOverflow and making books from them, for free.  https://goalkicker.com/

But in all honesty, you're probably best learning Unreal Engine / Unity etc...

You really only need to learn C# / C++ etc when making from scratch, from the ground up, engine and all..

I've never worked on games programming but a lot of the game programmer  job ads I skimmed seem to look for C++ skills as well as Unreal engine etc.  

5 minutes ago, RabM said:

I've never worked on games programming but a lot of the game programmer  job ads I skimmed seem to look for C++ skills as well as Unreal engine etc.  

I use C++ and a custom 2D engine. Never used Unity or Unreal, I think they're the big 2 for higher end 3D stuff. If I had to use a different engine, for the kind of games I make, I'd be taking a very good look at Godot. As I understand it though, with Godot, if you want to use C++ it's a bit of messing around, and not as natural as C# or, I think, it may have it's own scripting language?

I'd definitely not be paying to learn C++ type languages via a Udemy type site.

3 hours ago, Waldo said:

it may have it's own scripting language?

Kill it with fire!  Personal bugbear - I used to have to work with a lot of products that had their own scripting languages with their individual weirdness nearly all of which would have made more sense and taken off better if written as perl modules or something. 

34 minutes ago, RabM said:

Kill it with fire!  Personal bugbear - I used to have to work with a lot of products that had their own scripting languages with their individual weirdness nearly all of which would have made more sense and taken off better if written as perl modules or something. 

Ah yeah, it’s GDScript. I’m all C++ myself btw. Anyhow...

https://docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/getting_started/step_by_step/scripting.html

No idea what the process is like for using C++ or C#, docs mention using external code editor, so presumably some kind of compilation and linking process.