Len Badger

A worthy successor to ‘Tin Legs’ Coldwell. One loyal servant replacing another in a time when those things mattered.

RIP Len.

As a lad I used to watch him in the reserves, then in the first team.  Good with us youngsters with autographs etc.  Good at defending, with an almost telepathic understanding with winger Alan Woodward, and good at overlaps when needed.

I met him a few times after he'd retired, at the Sidings in Dronfield and with his wife visiting long-time friend Mick Smith in The Chantry in Woodseats,  I could never understand why he didn't get a cap either at the time, but Jimmy Armfield was the man in possession at the time, and they didn't change the team anywhere near as much as they do today, so he lost out.

Often seen until very recently at the Lane and at team-related functions.  True Blade, 

R.IP. legend!

15 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

As a lad I used to watch him in the reserves, then in the first team.  Good with us youngsters with autographs etc.  Good at defending, with an almost telepathic understanding with winger Alan Woodward, and good at overlaps when needed.

I met him a few times after he'd retired, at the Sidings in Dronfield and with his wife visiting long-time friend Mick Smith in The Chantry in Woodseats,  I could never understand why he didn't get a cap either at the time, but Jimmy Armfield was the man in possession at the time, and they didn't change the team anywhere near as much as they do today, so he lost out.

Often seen until very recently at the Lane and at team-related functions.  True Blade, 

R.IP. legend!

Any idea what the name of the pub was that Len ran in his retirement, I can't recall it.

1 minute ago, cmonkes said:

The Sidings down Dronfield?

That would make sense, the pub I saw him in was a NE Derbyshire pub as well.

35 minutes ago, cmonkes said:

The Sidings down Dronfield?

He moved to one near Barlow after the Sidings.

He had the Sidings with Howard Shappell a PE teacher from Rowlinson school.

5 hours ago, Alextopman said:

He moved to one near Barlow after the Sidings.

He had the Sidings with Howard Shappell a PE teacher from Rowlinson school.

It might be the Barlow one I was thinking of.

49 minutes ago, top4718 said:

It might be the Barlow one I was thinking of.

I think it was the Fox and Goose. 

Great player and a loyal servant to us.

Respect to the Wednesday fans for their comments.

R.I.P Len

2 hours ago, Blue Monday said:

R.I.P Len

Don't matter which team you played for when Len was playing ,the lads at both clubs rubbed shoulders with the fans and each other , often to be seen down Town on a Saturday night win or lose , it din't matter .

11 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

R.IP. legend!

That's how I remember him, especially attacking the Shoreham - they knew exactly where the touchline was from years of experience - opposition visiting once a season  found it hard work.

RIP best uncapped right back.

14 hours ago, Blue Monday said:

R.I.P Len

👍  We're all Sheffield. We're all humans. Respect where respect is due. 

Remember him well,hard,fair and loyal,a proper footballer,none of these about now.RIP.

It was his slide tackles (an art that has almost been wiped out now) that I remember the most.

He would slide win the ball but rather than putting the ball into touch emerge from the tackle with the ball at his feet.  

Then more often than not put a pass through for Woody.

Great days.... RIP Len.