Racism In America

4 minutes ago, The Joker said:

I'll take that as a No until you prove otherwise.

Glad we cleared that up.

No, you cleared it up and with no one's help too. 

We'll done 👏

I guess it's true, Not all hero's wear capes👍

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

Nothing could have been further from my mind.

That's good. It's hard for Black people in America to get the same opportunities as white people. I guess this woman is just fed up of waiting for whitey to do something about it and has decided to just do whatever it takes to produce some change. Good on her. How long have people been waiting for change now? Centuries. Nothing's going to change by just waiting for equality to be given - got to make it happen.

Well so much for 8 years of Obama then? 

I remember when Obama was running for the first time & the BBC did a report from a district of some US city that was predominantly black.  It was run down; suffered from high unemployment; educational attainment was low; drugs were rife; health was poor.  The BBC reporter interviewed a large group & asked them what a potential black President could do for their area?  What could Obama do to change their lives?  Well the best they could come up with was, "He could build us a basketball court." 

Talk about a lack of ambition?

Edited by Baron99

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I remember when Obama was running for the first time & the BBC did a report from a district of some US city that was predominantly black.  It was run down; suffered from high unemployment; educational attainment was low; drugs were rife; health was poor.  The BBC reporter interviewed a large group & asked them what a potential black President could do for their area?  What could Obama do to change their lives?  Well the best they could come up with was, "He could build us a basketball court." 

Would be interesting to repeat the question after the years of political awakening in Black America since then. I suspect the answers would be different now.

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

The National Basketball Association in 2020 was composed of 74.2 percent black players, all there through actual merit and ability.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_ethnicity_in_the_NBA

A basketball court not only provides a very useful community resource and encourages young people to engage in healthy fitness activity, it can also in some cases lead to a lucrative career as a high level basketball athlete in one of the few industries where blacks are proportionatly represented.

As another poster pointed out, Barak Hosein Obama was elected twice In the U.S. The top job in the World.

They have a black Vice-President, soon probably to be President, as old Joe Biden won't be around much longer.

The richest and most influential woman in the U.S. (Oprah) is black. 

The "most admired" woman in the U.S. (Gallup) is black (Michele)

The richest and most admired folks in entertainment, music and sports are black.

It's not even PC to publicly criticize a black.

In a predominantly white country (60%) that sure looks like racism to me.

Lol

Edited by trastrick

It's strange isn't it that President Obama received by far the most death threats.

Due to red lining black districts, structural racism  ,black families on average now have a net worth of less than a third of white family's.

Oprah Winfrey isn't even in the top 30 richest women.

Not PC to criticize  "a black" hardly needs comment 

Strange also that the only American president who was mixed race was hounded by the claim he was born outside the US and not a citizen.

Racial Animus much ?

46 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

The National Basketball Association in 2020 was composed of 74.2 percent black players, all there through actual merit and ability.

A basketball court not only provides a very useful community resource and encourages young people to engage in healthy fitness activity, it can also in some cases lead to a lucrative career as a high level basketball athlete in one of the few industries where blacks are proportionatly represented.

Aye, my 13 year old nephew is one of his team's top players in Basketball down in London, but of course he's white.

54 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Proportionally represented?

If the country is 60% white (quoted from another post in this thread, I've not checked) and a sport is 74% non white, then it's not proportional, it's disproportional.

12 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

Proportionally represented?

If the country is 60% white (quoted from another post in this thread, I've not checked) and a sport is 74% non white, then it's not proportional, it's disproportional.

It's as if there are fewer routes to financial security for Black people in America, so there's an overdependence on sports and music as ways to thrive.

Chris Rock sums it up really well in this clip (NSFW)

Edited by Delbow

It would be very nice if each person could be judged on their personal merit, the quality of their character etc, rather than any physical characteristic.

Sadly that's not the world we live in.

I also fear, attempts to improve matters, often result in making them worse, increasing racial tensions, and the perception that your race is a significant factor in how successful you'll be in life. I'd think the effort you put in, the hard work, the sacrifices you make, the action you take, your self-belief etc; are far more significant indicators of success than any mere physical characteristic of your being.

There's also a danger of your self-belief being eroded, if you buy in to the notion that you're significantly disadvantaged, because of something like your ethnicity. There could even be something a negative feedback loop here; i.e. you believe you're not going to do well because of your ethnicity, and so your self-belief is eroded, and as a result you don't actually do well, you contribute to the statistics that indicate to other members of your ethnicity that they're not going to succeed in life either, and the feedback loop from hell continues...

It's an incredibly complex and nuanced subject. Even looking at statistics, to be completely fair you'd need to consider all possible contributing factors, to get a full picture of why things are the way they are. Often that doesn't happen.

Edited by Waldo

2 hours ago, butlers said:

It's strange isn't it that President Obama received by far the most death threats.

Due to red lining black districts, structural racism  ,black families on average now have a net worth of less than a third of white family's.

Oprah Winfrey isn't even in the top 30 richest women.

Not PC to criticize  "a black" hardly needs comment 

Strange also that the only American president who was mixed race was hounded by the claim he was born outside the US and not a citizen.

Racial Animus much ?

Meh, according to Wikipedia, Boris Johnson was born on the upper East side of New York, so he's actually part American, but is still the English PM! :loopy: