Has The Time Come To Replace The Welfare State With Universal Basic Income?

8 minutes ago, trastrick said:

The education system controlled by the leftist unions, has turned into an indoctrination laboratory. No room for folk wisdom, common sense, adages, fables, proverbs, classical literature, or any other alternative to current leftist dogma.

Clearly, someone who didn't really engage with the "education system", or you would know that's total BS.

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

The education system controlled by the leftist unions, has turned into an indoctrination laboratory. No room for folk wisdom, common sense, adages, fables, proverbs, classical literature, or any other alternative to current leftist dogma.

Would take generations to awaken the masses to the reality of the human condition, if ever.

Fables!

And you missed stereotypes off that list.

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

Clearly, someone who didn't really engage with the "education system", or you would know that's total BS.

Clearly?

Such a closed mind is proof, that your education system has served you poorly.  Lol

2 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Clearly?

Absolutely!

2 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Such a closed mind is proof, that your education system has served you poorly.  Lol

...and yet, you're having to make stuff up to have anything to say at all :?

5 hours ago, trastrick said:

Would take generations to awaken the masses to the reality of the human condition, if ever.

Where do you get this from? I was a teacher not so long ago and all of the above are very much on the agenda in most schools particularly in the primary school sector.  They're actually included in the curriculum. 

The only 'leftist dogma' is about kindness, sharing, cooperation, community, and putting others first.  All laudable aims I would have thought, and desirable outcomes in any school regardless of politics. You don't want to believe everything you read in the Daily Mail.

16 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Where do you get this from? I was a teacher not so long ago and all of the above are very much on the agenda in most schools particularly in the primary school sector.  They're actually included in the curriculum. 

The only 'leftist dogma' is about kindness, sharing, cooperation, community, and putting others first.  All laudable aims I would have thought, and desirable outcomes in any school regardless of politics. You don't want to believe everything you read in the Daily Mail.

I don't read the Daily Mail, Lol, but I have traveled through 30 or so countries, Including lived and worked in 5, taught in 3. I've been to 37 of the United States.

From a poor fatherless family, with both Grandfathers avowed communists. The "Daily Worker" was our newspaper of choice. Good men, but totally misled about "Uncle Joe" Stalin. One was Frank Caswell, Secretary General of the Transport & General Workers Union, who used to grace the front page of The Star, calling out the latest bus and tram strike.

After leaving school at 15, and finishing an apprenticeship, I left Sheffield in 1960, I started a successful Project Management Consulting Business in Canada, retained by all level of government and all major utilities.

In my semi retirement years, I travelled to some 30 countries, lived and worked in 5, and taught in 3.

In Lincolnshire I was a guest teacher for a year, at King Edward VII Academy, teaching 6th Form Students. I went through an OFSTED Inspection in my first week.

I was Science Link Governor at Queen Elizabeth Grammar School in Alford, for two years, on all the major Committees, including Budgets & Finance and Staffing. OFSTED rating "Outstanding!"

I attended many international education seminars at Lincoln U and assisted an Education PhD by doing research on the "Efficacy of Teaching Assistants", which saw me sitting in many area primary schools, taking notes on the class proceedings.

I am now happily retired, on a Caribbean Island amongst a vibrant black population, with a black partner.

My opinions on politics, racism and education come from real life experience, not what I heard from the BBC, or The Guardian.

To those here, who accuse me of making all this up, or imagining stuff, I would just repeat what I say to my students, "work hard for your dreams, keep an open mind, and never ever stop learning. And remember, all politicians lie!"

4 hours ago, trastrick said:

Clearly?

A closed mind is more likely as a result of parenting and would benefit from education.

Many children are taught the politics or religion of their family.

Edited by El Cid

I've gotta say, how much emotional and mental energy is wasted by people just struggling to live on meagre incomes, while First Class prats like failed former wannabe London Mayor "Lozza" Fox spew verbal diarrhoea and incite culture wars from the comfort of a stately home or two?

Yes, we need a Universal Basic Income, and we should sieze the assets of the Toffs to pay for it.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

A closed mind is more likely as a result of parenting and would benefit from education.

Many children are taught the politics or religion of their family.

I would disagree. The purpose of teaching is to counter the prejudices and illiteracy of parents.

On another forum here, Sheffield History and Ex-Pats, I extolled the virtues of a couple of my old time teachers at Heeley Bank, Sowerby and Simpkins. They opened my eyes to the possibilities and opportunities to be had in the world, through learning, hard work, and common sense.

It's not teaching I am opposed to, rather the quality of teachers today, and what is being taught and emphasized.

I can't believe what I see in some parts of Sheffield, these days.

It's gone from a vibrant working city, to some third world boarded up vandalized ghetto, where you can't even leave your car on the street overnight.

Nicely cordoned off from the gentle folks that run it from their Ecclesall, Whirlow and Derbyshire mansions, of course, Lol

Edited by trastrick

On 25/05/2021 at 20:25, The Joker said:

I've gotta say, how much emotional and mental energy is wasted by people just struggling to live on meagre incomes, while First Class prats like failed former wannabe London Mayor "Lozza" Fox spew verbal diarrhoea and incite culture wars from the comfort of a stately home or two?

Yes, we need a Universal Basic Income, and we should sieze the assets of the Toffs to pay for it.

That's a communist policy; would you expand a bit on which assets and whose, and who would 'we' be?

On 24/05/2021 at 09:07, Mr Allen said:

Unemployment among disabled people continues to rise, due to lack of enforcement of the Equality Act 2010 (IMO) it's become increasingly difficult for disabled adults to find meaningful work, especially since the likes of Remploy closed all their Factories several years ago, but those kind of places were non jobs anyway, the "pay" was ridiculously low because all the workers were on benefits and couldn't earn much without the evil DWP/ATOS sanctioned the crap out of them so if they worked 8 hours a day 5 days a week they'd come Home with a tenner a week if they were extremely lucky, not worth getting out of bed for IMO.

I worked as a wages clerk in a Remploy factory in the 1960s.  There were men working there who had been injured in the war, and people disabled by polio, by cerebral palsy, by epilepsy, just a few of the conditions.    It was a good place to work.   

Electrical circuit boards were produced in our factory, as well as heavy fabric toolbags.  Some factories produced furniture.    Benefits were different then,  but the employees were full time workers paid at similar rates to semi skilled workers in other factories.    Nowadays, those workers would qualify for PIP or DLA, just like several colleagues I've had over the years.  DLA and PIP are not affected by earnings.   

It's such a pity they closed Remploy down. They might have had good intentions, but as with  'Care in the Community' it hasn't really worked out very well.