Teamsport Go Karting, Tinsley Industrial Estate

Above.

I just got back from an interview for a job there, I don't think I'll get the job because I had to declare my disabilities and the fact I would have to work round my carers! If it's a direct no because of the disability issues, could I legally challenge them under the Equality Act 2010? I've spent the last nearly 11 years saying that Act has no teeth because the useless cretins who run the Country don't and never will enforce it! :loopy:  :rant:

They said to expect an email or phone call sometime this week.

You would have a hard job proving that you didn't get the job because you are disabled, unless they actually tell you this (probably unlikely as they know it opens up a can of worms).

To be fair it sounds like you can't be flexible with hours, which would certainly be a good enough reason, disability or not.

Edited by HeHasRisen

20 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

You would have a hard job proving that you didn't get the job because you are disabled, unless they actually tell you this (probably unlikely as they know it opens up a can of worms).

To be fair it sounds like you can't be flexible with hours, which would certainly be a good enough reason, disability or not.

I told them I could be flexible as long as I get at least 2 weeks notice of extra shifts :D 

Meh, I can't help that I have to have care paid for by the social services (don't start about taxpayers etc, I'm NOT in a Daily Mail mood)

I don't know what you applied for but looking at their Facebook vacancies they mention flexibility / people who don't want a 9-5/ no two days the same etc.   Like a casual type job?

And according to their website they close at 18.30 most nights so the "late nights" might not be so bad, I could even work on Martial Arts night and still get back in time to go and train.

It's karting...things won't run on time. They will get corporate bookings ...parties etc.  

What was the actual role? And we dont know what your disability is - if for instance you have to push the karts about after a crash and you have mobility issues, then that could be valid.

But like already pointed out, its proving it otherwise.

3 hours ago, Ant68 said:

What was the actual role? And we dont know what your disability is - if for instance you have to push the karts about after a crash and you have mobility issues, then that could be valid.

But like already pointed out, its proving it otherwise.

It was this one

I have Asperger's syndrome, am deaf, and have Dyspraxia.

Edited by Mr Allen
Adding link to info

With all due respect I can't see how it would be safe to do a job like that if you are totally deaf, and can't see what "reasonable adjustments" could be made.

14 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

With all due respect I can't see how it would be safe to do a job like that if you are totally deaf, and can't see what "reasonable adjustments" could be made.

I wear a powerful hearing aid, private.

And I can hear perfectly well with it.

From looking at the role advertised, there may be several areas of concern to the employer which may have an influence on any decision they make. For example, several of the tasks are safety-critical which they will need to  consider against your disabilities, particularly the deafness and dyspraxia.

You mentioned earlier about flexibility and I see the role description states there is a rota of 8, 10 and 12-hour shifts. If the Venue closes at 6:30 that does not necessarily mean staff finish then. There may be lots of other work behind the scenes before the end of a shift and if you were unable to commit to the hours then that may have impact on their decision too.

For the employer, it may also be a simple case that another candidate with more relevant experience or skills for the role comes along after you.

Whilst I'm sympathetic to the difficulties you face in seeking employment and of course support all efforts to ensure fairness and reasonable adjustments to candidates, ultimately i think you may find it very difficult to raise sufficient arguments and evidence that you were denied this job purely because of your disability.

On a side note, if you are seriously considering pursuing some kind of formal action I would be very careful naming companies and speaking too publicly about the situation on here. That will not do you any favours if you wish to bring a claim.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Won't do him any favours in getting the job either if they have seen this.