Cardboard Recycling

So, I've moved to Sheffield from Lincoln, via Nottingham for a short while.

So, we only have cardboard recycling once a month in Sheffield... As opposed to every 2 weeks in those other places.

Those other places you could also book a slot at the tip. I can't seem to find that Sheffield way.

So, is there anyway to recycle all my cardboard rather than having to store it for a few months and put it in the bin bit by bit?

13 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

So, we only have cardboard recycling once a month in Sheffield... As opposed to every 2 weeks in those other places.

Those other places you could also book a slot at the tip. I can't seem to find that Sheffield way.

So, is there anyway to recycle all my cardboard rather than having to store it for a few months and put it in the bin bit by bit?

Most supermarkets have big recycling bins for paper And cardboard   Also you can go to the recycling sites and dispose of it there.   Not sure whereabouts in Sheffield you are but some shops also have big blue Rey bins outside them for public use 

On 16/05/2021 at 21:09, Burnsie said:

My bold above-if the tip system at Sheffied operates the same  way as Rotherham, you won't  need to book a slot. You just roll up. 

As an aside, I actually bring cardboard home with me from the supermarket. I use it in my garden composters.  Mix it in with leaves, grass cuttings and manure etc. You could do similar if you have the interest, and room for a compost bin?

Out of curiosity Burnsie,  how come you have so much cardboard? 

Edited by Janus

1 hour ago, Janus said:

Out of curiosity Burnsie,  how come you have so much cardboard? 

Because they have just moved so presumably used cardboard boxes?

Please note that at some tips you will wait so long to get in that the pollution as you stop start for half an hour or so you might be better just sticking it in your black bin although these days I think they will take extra boxes if the are broken down and placed in one of the boxes

I can't comment much on the collection system at Sheffield, but  I would put some of the cardboard in the general waste bin as you advise.

Also, I certainly agree with you about the stop start saga at dump sites. Much worse during lockdown too, as they only permitted one side of the site to park & unload. 

i believe there is a twitter feed which gives some indication of waiting time at the tips. 

18 hours ago, andyofborg said:

i believe there is a twitter feed which gives some indication of waiting time at the tips. 

Yup so we all wait with our rubbish and check our feed 24/7 and suddenly no queue so we all jump in our vehicles and rush to the dump only to find loads who got there before us!

Janus I think the single queue if you are talking about the Shirecliffe site is no bad thing true the queue may be longer but it was madness allowing 3 separate queues to compete

No not referring to Shirecliff, I was referring to Rotherham.

well if you want to see bad go to Shirecliffe - even though it is near me I always go out to Deepcar (more wasted miles!)

from what I understand, you can’t wait on the road (Blackstock).... but you have waiting times for 30mins or more...how's that work then!! You could book slots in Notts and Lincs. 

I have loads of cardboard from moving boxes and new stuff like fridge freezer...then there’s amazon that like to deliver a new duvet in a huge box stuffed with that packing paper....you know, in case the duvet breaks

😄

On the Veolia website it does say that you can create a stack of paper and cardboard tied with string at the side of your blue bin. The only criteria  being it should not as big as the blue bin.

You could ask neighbours if they wouldn't mind you topping up if they have some space.

I find that I have as much card and paper to fill a brown recycling bin but there is no option to have a blue bin the size of a brown bin.

Tesco Abbeydale has a big skip for cardboard (or at least used to have...)