Haymarket/Castlegate - Will It Improve?

8 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

I do hope we're not going to bring back cockfighting... :shakes:

I hope they do. it was the only sport I was any good at .

I live in the area and am surprised how well the footfall has held up after the closure of the market.  Much of it is due to the Post Office and Wilkos.  I am optimistic about the future.  Fitzalan Square is a massive improvement and the grey to green is fabulous. There should be a pressing need to improve the castle markets site and the idea of a park is welcoming.  This is a gateway to the city centre with the cluster of hotels down there.  The Five Weirs and canal basin are also worth investing in.

Agree 100%

Only the other day Sheffield came out very high nationally for demand for housing in the city centre.

These open spaces make the place livable.

Due to the lie if the land the town had turned it's back on the river,going to be a great place to hang out when redeveloped

On 22/05/2021 at 11:33, lawro said:

I live in the area and am surprised how well the footfall has held up after the closure of the market.  Much of it is due to the Post Office and Wilkos.  I am optimistic about the future.  Fitzalan Square is a massive improvement and the grey to green is fabulous. There should be a pressing need to improve the castle markets site and the idea of a park is welcoming.  This is a gateway to the city centre with the cluster of hotels down there.  The Five Weirs and canal basin are also worth investing in.

One of the main reasons and bonus of this, is the majority of buses, along with the trams stiil serve this area really well - which is why I could never understand why shops were been moved and spread across the  city centre even further, down towards The Moor. Fargate is also ripe for development and of good central location. The railway and bus station is also close by.

The old Castle and Sheaf Markets were in a much better location, but like said, they needed bulldozing back in the 90s. Just a shame they couldn't have remained in the same local area.

Can't remember the last time I personally ventured down The Moor, always feels out of the way and like it's not even "town" as such.

Towns changing.

The Moor feels about twice as busy as Fargate now.

Sheffield always was an oddity with having the shops so strung out from Ladies Bridge to Moorfoot.

Sheffield city centre is no more space out than Leeds is, the only difference is the gradient. 

3 hours ago, butlers said:

Towns changing.

The Moor feels about twice as busy as Fargate now.

Sheffield always was an oddity with having the shops so strung out from Ladies Bridge to Moorfoot.

It will do , theres nowt on Fargate now.

That's not really true is it.

There's more vacancies than I can remember for a very long time though

Indeed.

Not since the demise of WH Smith's, and then they moved Game down the Moor opposite Atkinson's.

1 minute ago, butlers said:

That's because most of the shops that aren't owned by big chains can't afford the extortionate rent on the Units.

15 minutes ago, butlers said:

Ok , nowt much on Fargate now .

12 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Ok , nowt much on Fargate now .

Sadly this can be replicated across most cities at the moment. The pandemic has hit businesses really hard.

I hope that things will pick up soon, and businesses can restart and expand. 

Sheffield is going to look and feel very different without John Lewis & Debenhams. 

I've not ordered any clothes online, I always like to shop local to support retailers. Ditto CDs, DVDs or books, with the exception of rarities that cannot be bought in shops.

Anyway the council have done a stirling job with Fitzallan Sq, it looks a lot more pleasant than it did. I hope that they remove, or at least tone down that guady sign that says Castlegate over Haymarket. It makes the area look tacky.

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

Sadly this can be replicated across most cities at the moment. The pandemic has hit businesses really hard.

I hope that things will pick up soon, and businesses can restart and expand. 

Sheffield is going to look and feel very different without John Lewis & Debenhams. 

I've not ordered any clothes online, I always like to shop local to support retailers. Ditto CDs, DVDs or books, with the exception of rarities that cannot be bought in shops.

Anyway the council have done a stirling job with Fitzallan Sq, it looks a lot more pleasant than it did. I hope that they remove, or at least tone down that guady sign that says Castlegate over Haymarket. It makes the area look tacky.

That sign is something classic a reminder and portal of Sheffield great history.

Must agree that when looking at this judging it with modern standards  it looks tacky.