Haymarket/Castlegate - Will It Improve?

Have a watch of this for a look around Haymarket and Castlegate - do you think this area could do with some ambitious new plans?

Probably not, since they moved the Castle Markets and closed Castle House Co Op (apart from the Supermarket bit) there's not much incentive to use that end of Town nowadays :(

From memory a sheffield firm now has the rights to redevelop the old court buildings.

It's almost the " hotel quarter" down there so a high quality public space will be most welcome

And of course part of the B and C is a indy food hall

A historical trading  and meeting area murdered by Town Planners and Councillors .

50 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

A historical trading  and meeting area murdered by Town Planners and Councillors .

🤣🤣🤣

52 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

If the council move all the cheap shops to the Moor, they can redevelop the Sheffield Canal Basin / Victoria Quays canal area, and improve that end of town.

What's not to like?

I'm gonna be honest with you here, I've never ventured down the pedestrianised  side-street where Wilko's is (Exchange Street, according to google maps?) so maybe I don't know what I'm missing, and I am completely in the wrong.

But to be honest, I'm not really losing any sleep over it.

50 minutes ago, The Joker said:

If the council move all the cheap shops to the Moor, they can redevelop the Sheffield Canal Basin / Victoria Quays canal area, and improve that end of town.

What's not to like?

I'm gonna be honest with you here, I've never ventured down the pedestrianised  side-street where Wilko's is (Exchange Street, according to google maps?) so maybe I don't know what I'm missing, and I am completely in the wrong.

But to be honest, I'm not really losing any sleep over it.

You're not missing much.

26 years ago I worked in the Oxfam on King St, the shop was dead most of the time, especially on a Thursday when the former Castle Markets were closed.

Guest busdriver1

Sheffield market was a hub and drew masses to the area. By removing it and replacing it with a gentrified version at the opposite end of town this whole area has been written off. 

A good idea would be to provide a new old style market in that area and then sit and watch the empty shops fill and shoppers return. 

As a bonus I believe buses still actually serve the area as well. ( for now anyway)  .  

Why do they never do anything with The Old Courthouse ? It would make a good hotel as it’s in a prime position,but it is left like that year after year. Is it a listed building I wonder ?

There are plans for the area, some of the smaller schemes such as "Grey to Green" are already underway http://www.greytogreen.org.uk/phase2.html

Victoria Quays is slowly coming to life too with the likes of the Dorothy Pax bar, True Loves restaurant, Victoria Junction cafe and A&G Passenger boats.

The bigger plans I guess are in the queue behind the current Heart of the City developments - the Moor is done with work now taking place between there and the City Hall.

The majority of the markets/shopping has relocated to the Moor, the focus in Castlegate in future developments is likely to be different.

There was a piece in the Star about the Castlegate regeneration last year https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/surge-developments-create-one-norths-best-regeneration-zones-sheffield-1891114

Edited by Andy C

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, Andy C said:

There are plans for the area, some of the smaller schemes such as "Grey to Green" are already underway http://www.greytogreen.org.uk/phase2.html

Victoria Quays is slowly coming to life too with the likes of the Dorothy Pax bar, True Loves restaurant, Victoria Junction cafe and A&G Passenger boats.

The bigger plans I guess are in the queue behind the current Heart of the City developments - the Moor is done with work now taking place between there and the City Hall.

The majority of the markets/shopping has relocated to the Moor, the focus in Castlegate in future developments is likely to be different.

There was a piece in the Star about the Castlegate regeneration last year https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/surge-developments-create-one-norths-best-regeneration-zones-sheffield-1891114

So lots of offices, restaurants and leisure facilities but no real shops to attract people on a daily basis? 

Bound to work 🤣

2 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Sheffield market was a hub and drew masses to the area. By removing it and replacing it with a gentrified version at the opposite end of town this whole area has been written off. 

A good idea would be to provide a new old style market in that area and then sit and watch the empty shops fill and shoppers return. 

As a bonus I believe buses still actually serve the area as well. ( for now anyway)  .  

I'm not sure that Sheffield could sustain another large market. 

I prefer the market that is at the bottom of the Moor to the old one, which was dilapidated and an eyesore. Though I'd hardly call it 'gentrified', the new one is much cleaner, modern, and easier to maintain. There use to be a free bus service that would take people round the city centre, and I hope that can be restored so that people can have easier access to the new market.