Brazillian Ju-jitsu at Graves Tennis Centre

Could someone please confirm that BJJ is taught at graves tennis centre please. What day and time and how much is each session. Also as a virgin of BJJ what do I expect to do in a class is it like other martial arts I have taken part in doing lots of press ups and sit ups and running about or is it more concentrated on the techniques and practising with a partner. thanks in advance.

Jay.

Could someone please confirm that BJJ is taught at graves tennis centre please. What day and time and how much is each session. Also as a virgin of BJJ what do I expect to do in a class is it like other martial arts I have taken part in doing lots of press ups and sit ups and running about or is it more concentrated on the techniques and practising with a partner. thanks in advance.

Jay.

Hi Jay

I think its £5 per session. I know its very user friendly with a lot of one on one time per person. I know the instructor very well and can vouch for his ability first hand!

Nice bloke too with time for everybody. The classes are more about techniques and practise with a partner. My brown belt (kickboxing brown belt but BJJ novice) goes every wednesday and he was amazed at how much he got taught on the first session! He now misses my wednesday class just to do BJJ with those guys! I know it is in the evening I think its about 7pm ish on a wednesday. You wont find the "time wasting tactics" like in most martial arts classes.

Ask Mark the monkey on here for details.

All BJJ classes are very practical, both steves and my club train techniques from the word go,its really the best way..

just to add its good to see people trying out BJJ, and to see the sport evolve.

thanks gregg..

ps graciebarra sheffield training times below :hihi::rolleyes::D

Hi Jay

Classes @ Graves Leisure Centre: Wednesday 7:15 till 10:00 £5

It's a great class and you will be made really welcome.

BJJ Is an awesome sport/system/martial art/!!!. Due to the length of the session you get a thorough workout whilst learning good technique. We also do plenty of sparring, with the emphasis being on helping each other improve and looking after your partner (We don’t like getting injured!).

We also have guys with some good stand-up experience and this gets brought into the class at times.

BJJ is the way forward…… and saying that John runs a good club too.

Cheers

Is this graves class by GRACIE BARRA SHEFFIELD too?

jay, see see my prev thread on same subject.

The class at Graves Leisure Centre (Wed 7.15 until 10.00) is under the Royce Gracie BJJ Network. We also have a class on Monday at 8.15 at The Dronfield School (Fanshawe site).

Unfortunately Gracie Barra and Royce Gracie Jiu Jitsu train on the same nights (Monday and Wednesday).

More importantly we both train BJJ, and that can only be a good thing!!!

Hi Jay

Classes @ Graves Leisure Centre: Wednesday 7:15 till 10:00 £5

It's a great class and you will be made really welcome.

BJJ Is an awesome sport/system/martial art/!!!. Due to the length of the session you get a thorough workout whilst learning good technique. We also do plenty of sparring, with the emphasis being on helping each other improve and looking after your partner (We don’t like getting injured!).

We also have guys with some good stand-up experience and this gets brought into the class at times.

BJJ is the way forward…… and saying that John runs a good club too.

Cheers

I can vouch for that, there is a lanky guy with good stand up experience who trains at BJJ who joins AFK on fridays for a bit of sparring. Having sparred with him at stand up id say his striking ability is superb , having seen him spar MMA rules at AFK Im equally impressed with his grappling.

Thats right lankyman , I know who you are!

Im sure you will get a good workout doing BJJ wether you do it at the Royce Gracie Club or at Gracie Barra.

Both are good clubs doing the best grappling system around.

Having the blue belts being awarded by Royce Gracie himself though, that means something!!!

First of all I would like to thank Paul for looking after my classes over the last month while I was taking a break, well done mate!:thumbsup:

Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is now offering regular gi and no-gi classes as well as the opportunity to train with a world champion black belt on a regular basis.

Monday classes will be run by Paul and will be a Gi class from 6 till 7.30.

Wednesday classes will be taken by my self and will be no-gi/sub wrestling from 6 till 8.

Sunday class will be taken by me one week with a mixture of drilling techniques and sparring, gi and no-gi. Then on the next week the class will be taken by Legarto on his return from the Mundials (one of the biggest bjj comps in the world) and Sem. Both Gracie Barra black belts awarded by Carlos Gracie jn and world champs!!!!

The classes taken by myself and Paul will now only cost 3.50:o and the black belt class will be 12 pound.

It is mine and Paul’s hope that the reduction in the cost of our classes will make it easier for everyone to afford to train with a black belt and have classes to practice at.

Thanks

John

I can vouch for that, there is a lanky guy with good stand up experience who trains at BJJ who joins AFK on fridays for a bit of sparring. Having sparred with him at stand up id say his striking ability is superb , having seen him spar MMA rules at AFK Im equally impressed with his grappling.

Thats right lankyman , I know who you are!

Im sure you will get a good workout doing BJJ wether you do it at the Royce Gracie Club or at Gracie Barra.

Both are good clubs doing the best grappling system around.

Having the blue belts being awarded by Royce Gracie himself though, that means something!!!

My lanky limbs are not that obvious, are they?!!!! Damn my freakishness! However, there are many strikers and grapplers who could effortlessly hand my arse to me on a big silver plate. So I’ll keep on practicing!

NB. Correction on times at Graves: Wednesdays 7:15 to 10:15!!!! Although it is all very relaxed, if you do not have time for the full session, you’re free to leave earlier, if you wish.

Having 12 years experience of martial arts and fighting i can say dronfield bjj (and graves on wed) is a friendly clubwhere you'll learn loads. If you do BJJ or have ever wanted to try it you MUST go to this club.

Having 12 years experience of martial arts and fighting i can say dronfield bjj (and graves on wed) is a friendly clubwhere you'll learn loads. If you do BJJ or have ever wanted to try it you MUST go to this club.

I second that . I have met the instructors for Royce Gracie Ju Jitsu and have trained with one of them as well as the "lankyman BJJ" and they are great guys.

Good philosophy towards training and the correct no egos attitude.