Upgrade From I7 4970k, Ddr3, Etc?

Thinking of gettting 570 M/Board, 3200 ddr memory,  ryzen 3, 3700x

will it be much of an upgrade from maximus hero 7, ddr3 mem(thouugh fast) and i7 4970k

the memory would certainly be faster, would my graphics card be so as well in a 570 board?

The 3700X is a Ryzen 7. Is it definitely a 3700X?

Have you got the exact make/model of your parts list? 

EDIT: I had a 4970 that I swapped out for a X470/2700X/16GB 3200 DDR4/GTX970. I did add an NVMe. The PC was much faster than the i7, although the extra grunt from the CPU did help with CPU intensive games and programs, it was still a GTX970 and limited by graphics chip.

Edited by zach
added PC build info

What GPU will you be using?

As you are a gamer the Ryzen 5 3600 is better value being cheaper and just as capable as the 3700x for games and outperforms the i7 4970k by around 16-20%. The 3700x is around 5% faster overall than the 3600 that's all. You could get the newer Ryzen 5 5600x which is around the same price now as the 3700x (£275 with free shipping at Box) which is the recommended CPU for a new build gaming setup. 6 cores is also fine for a game build as most games these days are mainly GPU bound. It's worth swapping out the Wraith supplied cooler though for a better one as you will get better thermals, less noise and more headroom when it boosts.

Edited by apelike
clarification

Someone is selling a ROG MAXIMUS X CODE with a 17 8700K

much of an upgrade?

3 hours ago, gamezone07 said:

Someone is selling a ROG MAXIMUS X CODE with a 17 8700K

much of an upgrade?

It really depends on how much you have to pay for it.

It will be around 11% faster than your current system according to this.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790K/3937vs2384

It seems that the i7 8700k would be around 11% faster than your current system. It's about 4% slower than the newer Ryzen 5 5600x and around 11% faster than a Ryzen 5 3600 according to the same site

To be honest if you are going to upgrade then I would go for the newer stuff but again it's a matter of cost and as you can pick up a Ryzen 5 3600 for under £160 new on eBay. I would go for that and a x570 motherboard for a bit of future proofing or even just a b450 at around half the cost of a x570 as that will perform just as well as a x570. Don't forget you will also need some new DDR4 memory as well. BTW on the memory speed... when it gets to around 3200MHz itv does not make much of a difference when gaming even if you go higher.

I am thinking of a AORUS Elite, 570, for upgrade, but apparently it doesn't have any Fault LED'S, which i really value for identifying issues, etc.

Edited by gamezone07

2 hours ago, gamezone07 said:

I am thinking of a AORUS Elite, 570, for upgrade, but apparently it doesn't have any Fault LED'S, which i really value for identifying issues, etc.

To be honest I have never had to rely on any fault LED's, not even sure if mine has them either. The Aorus is a nice well made motherboard but expensive and mainly designed for the pro-gamer. 

2 hours ago, gamezone07 said:

I use AORUS X470 in my backup/spare PC's, and the X570 XTREME in my main PC. I've only had to RMA on older AORUS X370 so not really relevant. I found the LEDs you mention more of an annoyance than a help. Easy enough to solve any issues without them. If funds allow, go for the WiFi version, and get an x4 M.2, again, if funds allow. An x3 will work fine. USB C on your case is a nice bonus, but not a 'must have'

I found 3600 DDR4 plays nice with my X570 but 3200 does seem to be the best value if you don't need the faster RAM. Most of the BIOS updates are for the 3XXX & 5XXX series CPUs and AGESA. If you go for it, read carefully about updating the BIOS, if it's on an early one, other steps are needed (takes about 5 minutes!) Then carry on with the BIOS updates.

Which CPU and RAM were you thinking of?

I don't own that exact board but I've been very happy with Gigabyte AORUS motherboards. Only had the one issue I mentioned earlier.

Tx, all, just saw a ryzen 3600 for 120, other prices were ridiculous, not sure how much faster than 4790k, but with ddr4, etc, should be fair bit.

btw, nearly always but 2nd hand, especially now,  wish S/F computers classified where as popular as the old days

Edited by gamezone07

To be honest I have had no problem whatsoever with gaming on a ryzen 3600 and paying £120 seems OK but make sure it has a decent cooler. Swapped mine for a Ryzen 5 5600x and the 3600 is going in a PC for my grandson, just need a mid range GFX card but at the moment all GFX cards are hard to come by. As zach says DDR4 3200 is probably the best value at the moment but check the RAM vendor list for the motherboard as I had some which just would not run at 3200 and always defaulted to 2666. Got them replaced though so no big deal.

Edited by apelike

On 20/05/2021 at 19:32, apelike said:

It will be around 11% faster than your current system according to this.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790K/3937vs2384

It seems that the i7 8700k would be around 11% faster than your current system. It's about 4% slower than the newer Ryzen 5 5600x and around 11% faster than a Ryzen 5 3600 according to the same site

Is that all?

Over three years of Research & Development later, another 4 generations of CPU technology, 50% more cores and threads, a reduction in size from 22nm to 14nm, and what real-world benefit does that give us?

A  measly 11% increase over a 4th Gen Core i7?

No wonder Apple got fed up waiting for things to improve and did things their own way

I keep looking at upgrading but tbh, my rig is still playing all the AAA games with very few issues. Its only recently I have had a game simply not work due to the cpu ( Detroit Become Human)

Mine is i5 4675k, 32gb of ddr3 ram and a RTX 2070super. I play all my games on a 65inch 4k tv at high to ultra settings without to many issues.  ( i refuse to play at 1080p anymore.. its so blurry when compared to 4k! ) I get the odd stutter but not enough to justify a new rig.  The biggest change you can make is the gfx card, ( which is its own issue in todays market! ) but thats where I would be starting.....

Edited by stimpy