Lner Apologises After Staff Said 'Good Afternoon Ladies And Gentlemen'

Well if the train announcer was to welcome EVERYONE on board at Sheffield Midland & before telling them the buffet car will soon be open, the passengers would by at St Pancras before he / she / it / undecided, got to the end of the opening sentence. 

https://www.healthline.com/health/different-genders

Any advance on 64 terms?  There are also sub-category gender groups within the gender groups.

By the way. Just to let you all know.  I'm currently identifying myself as a 'Bloke' but that's not in the list in the link above. 

Make that 65 identies then! 

Edited by Baron99

45 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Well if the train announcer was to welcome EVERYONE on board at Sheffield Midland & before telling them the buffet car will soon be open, the passengers would by at St Pancras before he / she / it / undecided, got to the end of the opening sentence. 

Any advance on 64 terms?  There are also sub-category gender groups within the gender groups.

By the way. Just to let you all know.  I'm currently identifying myself as a 'Bloke' but that's not in the list in the link above. 

I wonder if I can claim to identify as a tax non-domestic & save myself a wad every month.... 

On 14/05/2021 at 14:12, Arnold_Lane said:

How often do you hear the words authoress or doctress?

Lol! I think I have come authoress before but it is very quaint and old fashioned. Never heard of doctoress but I have heard older people say ‘lady doctor’. Also ‘manageress’. 

I have also heard older men use ‘woman driver’; often as a derogatory term. 
It is all very dated now.

I can’t imagine anyone at work referring to the Chair of a meeting as being the Chairman even if this person was male. It’s before my time but I know people once considered the term ‘Chair’ ludicrous. Times change.

Guest sibon
On 15/05/2021 at 05:37, Baron99 said:

Or, how about “Welcome aboard, everyone “ ?

1 hour ago, sibon said:

That's just madness.

Guest sibon
27 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

That's just madness.

Or, alternatively:

Suggs.

Chas Smash.

Mike Barson.

Lee Thompson.

Chris Foreman.

Dan Woodgate.

Mark Bedford.

You’d nearly be at Dore and Totley before you had read that lot out.😀

Edited by sibon

Been a while since I've been any distance on a train, and I rarely listen to 'at station' announcements, but ISTR EMR just say 'welcome aboard this xx.xx service to ZZ, followed by scheduled arrival time at the start of the journey, and then 'welcome aboard passengers who just joined us at ...'. Similar on Southern and Thameslink.

Guest sibon
20 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Been a while since I've been any distance on a train, and I rarely listen to 'at station' announcements, but ISTR EMR just say 'welcome aboard this xx.xx service to ZZ, followed by scheduled arrival time at the start of the journey, and then 'welcome aboard passengers who just joined us at ...'. Similar on Southern and Thameslink.

I couldn’t care less about the announcements really. “Ladies and Gentlemen” is generally an attempt at politeness and you would hope that everyone would recognise that and not be too precious about it. It’s a phrase that I’ve used thousands of times in my professional life, without any complaints.

However, saying “welcome aboard everyone” is equally polite and if it makes someone’s  day better, then why not.

12 minutes ago, sibon said:

I couldn’t care less about the announcements really. “Ladies and Gentlemen” is generally an attempt at politeness and you would hope that everyone would recognise that and not be too precious about it. It’s a phrase that I’ve used thousands of times in my professional life, without any complaints.

However, saying “welcome aboard everyone” is equally polite and if it makes someone’s  day better, then why not.

No argument with your comment, but not bothering with the 'Ladies and Gentlemen' bit, avoids any possible perceived discrimination, and has been standard on EMR/EMT and others I have used n the past. As an aside, for some strange reason, I have only ever twice used LNER services, and honestly can't remember the greeting.

10 hours ago, sibon said:

Then we'll probably hear of someone complaining "How dare you.  This implies I'm part of the masses; the collective.  Don't you realise I'm an individual?" 

"Good morning, humans."   "How dare you.  Isn't clear to all that I'm a Jedi?" 

Think the train companies & similar might be safe with, "Good morning, service users."   Until someone finds a gripe with that one. 

9 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Then we'll probably hear of someone complaining "How dare you.  This implies I'm part of the masses; the collective.  Don't you realise I'm an individual?" 

"Good morning, humans."   "How dare you.  Isn't clear to all that I'm a Jedi?" 

Think the train companies & similar might be safe with, "Good morning, service users."   Until someone finds a gripe with that one. 

See my comment above - apart from LNER, who I haven't used, the train companies i have used for a number of years all seem to get round this by not mentioning any form of gender. And this has been the case for many years on the services I have used - way before all this 'identity discrimination' rubbish came in.

Edited by RollingJ

Can't help wondering how you would address members of the House of Commons!