Jump to content


Photo Id To Vote - Voter Suppression Or Election Fraud Prevention?

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Forgot this bit. The government have to give 25 days notice - no more. I've no idea how long it will take to get ID. Do you?

If it is organised properly - shouldn't be that long. My Senior Travel Card was delivered 4 working days after I requested it,  my Senior Railcard 3 working days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You can throw theoreticals in all day long.

 

"What if I lose it down a gutter?"

"What if the dog eats it?"

"What if it goes through the wash?"

 

Your username gives the game away, just admit you are a bit paranoid about photo ID and we can all move on

Edited by HeHasRisen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, classicfan said:

I am more concerned with the pathetically low turnouts at elections than identifying the individual casting a vote. I agree it shouldn't be a cause for concern given this fact. I would favour compulsory voting. The boundary changes certainly were designed to give the Tories an advantage in Rotherham and it worked with devastating effect.

 

6 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

If you are going to use one solitary constituency for the basis of your entire argument, then no it can't be done because EVERY constituency is just like Rotherham.

 

And are they moving Rotherham borders?

I used one solitary constituency because i was replying to Classicfans post stating " The boundary changes certainly were designed to give the Tories an advantage in Rotherham and it worked with devastating effect" 

Rotherham changed wards from 21 to 25 and seats from 63 to 59 to represent an equal number of the population per councillor (i may have the 21 to 25 the wrong way round)

Thats why i called Classicfans comment rubbish but its factually wrong and your comment rubbish because you commented on mine when i was specifically speaking about Rotherham (in response to Classicfan) when the facts bear out the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

My point was the dates for local elections and PCC elections are set in stone for months, the only ones that are sprung upon us are usually General elections and the odd by-election.

 

I have no idea how long it takes, woe betide people being proactive and getting one sorted as soon as they are released, rather than fannying around until an election is called and cutting it fine.

True enough - and given the low turnouts of local elections it's probably not a huge deal. 

1 minute ago, sheffbag said:

 

I used one solitary constituency because i was replying to Classicfans post stating " The boundary changes certainly were designed to give the Tories an advantage in Rotherham and it worked with devastating effect" 

Rotherham changed wards from 21 to 25 and seats from 63 to 59 to represent an equal number of the population per councillor (i may have the 21 to 25 the wrong way round)

Thats why i called Classicfans comment rubbish but its factually wrong and your comment rubbish because you commented on mine when i was specifically speaking about Rotherham (in response to Classicfan) when the facts bear out the truth.

Carry on then. I'm sure those borders in Rotherham  are safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Forgot this bit. The government have to give 25 days notice - no more. I've no idea how long it will take to get ID. Do you?

Considering you would have a rough idea of when an election is probably going to happen then would you leave it to the last minute to apply.

 

As a response though, applied for sons driving licence online last month, received it inside a week. Last time i did Passport renewal took 2 week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

If it is organised properly - shouldn't be that long. My Senior Travel Card was delivered 4 working days after I requested it,  my Senior Railcard 3 working days.

If it's organised properly it will be. Drivers licence took about 4 days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Photo id to access services is going to exist eventually,people can protest and debate some hypothetical reasoning but it will happen. OR you won't be allowed to vote,go on holiday ,buy a car or buy alcohol,get a loan or apply for a job. OOOps apart from voting you may already have to provide photo id. already,doesn't seem to bother anyone. So why not ensure it happens for voting as well thats for the  <50% of the populace who vote.

 

I have to admit though and it is just because i don't have to yet, i refuse to exchange my paper license for a photo id one. The only photo id i currently have is an out of date passport. So in comparison to many of the youngsters today i'm probably a dinosaur,just as my parents were to me when mobile phones arrived.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tinfoilhat said:

If it's organised properly it will be. Drivers licence took about 4 days. 

Will be what? :confused:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, willman said:

Photo id to access services is going to exist eventually,people can protest and debate some hypothetical reasoning but it will happen. OR you won't be allowed to vote,go on holiday 

 

 

What now? You have needed photo  ID to go abroad for decades now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

"It's difficult to see this an anything other than voter suppression."

 

All these people being stopped for applying for either a) a free photo ID and/or b) a postal vote, are they?

Making people jump though unnecessary hoops to vote in order to discourage them from doing so is still voter suppression.

 

Why are you so keen on the government spending tax payer money without any evidence it will provide the claimed benefit? I thought you Tory supporters were all supposed to be against government wasting money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

You can throw theoreticals in all day long.

 

"What if I lose it down a gutter?"

"What if the dog eats it?"

"What if it goes through the wash?"

 

Your username gives the game away, just admit you are a bit paranoid about photo ID and we can all move on

Indeed 931k drivers licences are lost or stolen  every year.  

 

But yeah, we'll be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, altus said:

Making people jump though unnecessary hoops to vote in order to discourage them from doing so is still voter suppression.

 

Why are you so keen on the government spending tax payer money without any evidence it will provide the claimed benefit? I thought you Tory supporters were all supposed to be against government wasting money.

Ticking a box on a form everyone gets once a year to apply for a postal vote is hardly a "hoop" now, is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.