Photo Id To Vote - Voter Suppression Or Election Fraud Prevention?

Where has it said ID cards are going to be compulsory? I think you need to go and read it again.

47 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Who knows, but its hardly a state secret as to when most elections are being held, people will just have to be proactive and sort it in good time,  anyone who applies for one the day before an election is going to be disappointed. 

But then there will be rush. If im moving house and my free ID is delayed, can i use my old one?

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

But then there will be rush. If im moving house and my free ID is delayed, can i use my old one?

Are you planning on changing your appearance as well when you move house?

To give a serious answer - how on earth does anyone know yet? Wait for the details to come out first. To be fair if you are part way through moving house the vote will likely be registered against the old address anyway, voting cards are sent out a few weeks before the vote normally.

Edited by HeHasRisen

The reason the photo ID to vote requirement was introduced in NI was because there was evidence of paramilitaries organising voter impersonation. There is no evidence that has happened elsewhere in the country so the fact it happens in NI is no justification for an ID requirement elsewhere. Surely if you think there might be a problem you investigate whether there is one rather than waste tax payers' money on something that is not needed.

Here's former Conservative Party leader in Scotland Ruth Davidson's take on it:

They can’t cite any evidence of [electoral fraud being a problem] because I don’t think there’s ever any evidence to cite. I think in terms of this particular part of the Queen’s speech, I think it’s total ********, and I think it’s trying to give a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist, and that makes it politics as performance.

And I think that given where we are and the year we’ve had, we’ve got real problems to solve in this country, and the idea that this is some sort of legislative priority I think is for the birds.

and a video version if you want to hear it from her own mouth.

It's difficult to see this an anything other than voter suppression.

"It's difficult to see this an anything other than voter suppression."

All these people being stopped for applying for either a) a free photo ID and/or b) a postal vote, are they?

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Are you planning on changing your appearance as well when you move house?

No. But will it need to changed when I move house? I don't know. Do you know?

Just now, tinfoilhat said:

I already added a bit to my last post, and I know as much as you.

55 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Who knows, but its hardly a state secret as to when most elections are being held, people will just have to be proactive and sort it in good time,  anyone who applies for one the day before an election is going to be disappointed. 

Forgot this bit. The government have to give 25 days notice - no more. I've no idea how long it will take to get ID. Do you?

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

Does anyone, until the final format is decided, which could be months (years?) away?

Just now, tinfoilhat said:

Forgot this bit. The government have to give 25 days notice - no more. I've no idea how long it will take to get ID. Do you?

My point was the dates for local elections and PCC elections are set in stone for months, the only ones that are sprung upon us are usually General elections and the odd by-election.

I have no idea how long it takes, woe betide people being proactive and getting one sorted as soon as they are released, rather than fannying around until an election is called and cutting it fine.  Would you apply for a passport 3/4 weeks before going on holiday? No sensible person would, so as soon as these come out people should apply for one ASAP if they are actually serious about voting.

Edited by HeHasRisen

20 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Again, when it comes to the original post regarding Rotherham council elections I replied to, that comment is a load of rubbish.

What "solid tory" wards were there in Rotherham at the last council elections that the boundaries could be altered to make more Tory or blend with another ........... Zero

To give the facts to counter the unfounded opinion

2016 council elections  - Labour 77016 votes, Conservative 11871 - Total 88887

2021 council elections - Labour 50686 votes, Conservative 34833 - Total 85519

As a percentage of the combined Lab/Con vote 

2016 - Lab 86.7%, Con 13.3%

2021 - Lab 59.3% Con 40.7%

That has nothing to do with an odd boundary change, that is simply 26000+ votes less for Labour for whatever reason the voters chose and 23000 more votes for the Conservatives  - Thats not hard to work out is it?

If you are going to use one solitary constituency for the basis of your entire argument, then no it can't be done because EVERY constituency is just like Rotherham.

And are they moving Rotherham borders?

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

If it is organised properly - shouldn't be that long. My Senior Travel Card was delivered 4 working days after I requested it,  my Senior Railcard 3 working days.