Photo Id To Vote - Voter Suppression Or Election Fraud Prevention?

2 hours ago, hauxwell said:

At the time I remember thinking it wasn’t a bad idea when Tony Blair wanted to bring in identity cards, I thought it would solve the problem.  I wonder why Blair scrapped the idea?  

Rising costs and voters were completely against it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10164331

12 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Rising costs and voters were completely against it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10164331

And the change of parliament too; the ConDemNation coalition won the 2010 election, which was the final nail in the coffin of ID cards . . . or so I naively thought at the time.

3 hours ago, The Joker said:

but . . . but . . . but . . . we left the EU because we don't want to follow their instructions.

Now thanks to Brexit, not only do we have additional levels of bureaucracy and red tape when dealing with European nations, you're now cheerleading the imposition ID cards.  Just like many European countries have!

Point me to the post where I am cheerleading the imposition of ID cards please as a National ID system and a voter photo ID system are two completely different ideas.

1 hour ago, whiteowl said:

That's a good point, many 16 and 17 year old have fake driving licences to get into pubs.

They do? I wonder where they get the £600 for one and how they pay for them as they have to pay by card online.

Edited by apelike

41 minutes ago, apelike said:

Point me to the post where I am cheerleading the imposition of ID cards please as a National ID system and a voter photo ID system are two completely different ideas.

They do? I wonder where they get the £600 for one and how they pay for them as they have to pay by card online.

Yup, it's fairly common. I doubt they pay £600 for one though.

15 hours ago, The Joker said:

Then you're either overthinking the question, or you haven't thought it through enough.

Sorry, that's a bobbins answer and I don't even know how to reply to it. Well done.

I've still not seen a cohesive argument as to how a free form of photographic voter ID prevents people who vote now from voting in the future.

22 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

Back on topic, I've been looking at Wikipedia entries on identity cards in other European countries, which I didn't know anything about.  Of the countries I've looked at, they're compulsory in Germany, Spain and Belgium.  In some places having an identity document of some sort is compulsory, and the ID card is one of the options.  In other places, as far as I can tell, it's optional but a lot of people find it convenient.  Everywhere seems to have an ID card of one form or another, but nowhere is it specific to voting.

Exactly my point as the ID cards used in European Countries are National ID cards whereas the ID voter card being introduced in the UK is not a National ID card but just a voter ID card.

19 hours ago, apelike said:

the ID voter card being introduced in the UK is not a National ID card but just a voter ID card.

Is it?

This article just states  an "approved form of identification"

and goes on to list them:

passport

UK, Irish or European Economic Area (EEA) driving licence

electoral identity card - a free card issued by the electoral authorities (using a much wider range of ID)

various types of passes issued by Translink, the public transport provider

The Electoral Commission recommended a small number of other forms of ID could be added to this list, such as:

military and police ID cards

firearms licences

It estimated that would mean about 92.5% of the electorate already had suitable ID.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50044539

3 hours ago, alchresearch said:

This article went on to say:

"In a pilot scheme of voter ID checks in 10 areas during the local elections in England in 2019, about 2,000 people were turned away at polling stations for lack of ID. Of those, 750 failed to return with ID."

This is despite the fact that people in these test areas were told months in advance (and no doubt reminded by local parties on the run-up to Poling Day) which form of ID they needed to produce to vote.  https://www.gov.uk/government/news/next-round-of-voter-id-pilots-announced-for-2019

Consider how many did not go in the first place because they had not got the required ID.

1 hour ago, Thirsty Relic said:

This article went on to say:

"In a pilot scheme of voter ID checks in 10 areas during the local elections in England in 2019, about 2,000 people were turned away at polling stations for lack of ID. Of those, 750 failed to return with ID."

The least educated tend to vote Conservative, maybe the those voters are Tories and this policy will backfire  :)

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/10/31/2019-general-election-demographics-dividing-britai

1 hour ago, CaptainSwing said:

The voter ID proposals are doubtless intended as a form of voter suppression, 

But are they and that is the point. Its ok saying that but proving it to be the case is another thing especially as there will be no reason to use any voter ID for several years yet so plenty of time to get some. Just because some may not have them now does not alter that fact.

Edited by apelike

4 minutes ago, apelike said:

But are they and that is the point. Its ok saying that but proving it to be the case is another thing especially as there will be no reason to use any voter ID for several years yet so plenty of time to get some. Just because some may not have them now does not alter that fact.

👍👍