Photo Id To Vote - Voter Suppression Or Election Fraud Prevention?

Just now, tinfoilhat said:

Free IDs. If they are processed and sent out quickly, we'll be fine.

OK - for once you make sense. :wink:

22 minutes ago, altus said:

It's difficult to see this an anything other than voter suppression.

Which voters don't have ID or can't obtain a free photo ID?

Dead ones? Ones that didn't exist? 

3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

What now? You have needed photo  ID to go abroad for decades now.

You obviously chose not to read and undertsand the full paragraph before replying i see.

Just now, willman said:

You obviously chose not to read and undertsand the full paragraph before replying i see.

The former. Oops. I see now.

4 hours ago, sheffbag said:

Many countries around the world require photo ID to vote (France, Germany, Brazil, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Sweden, Many parts of the US) so what's the problem here?

11 minutes ago, altus said:

Making people jump though unnecessary hoops to vote in order to discourage them from doing so is still voter suppression.

Why are you so keen on the government spending tax payer money without any evidence it will provide the claimed benefit? I thought you Tory supporters were all supposed to be against government wasting money.

How is it voter supression? are the people in the countries i named earlier supressed becuase they need voter ID to vote? are car owners or people wanting to go on holiday abroad supressed because they need photo ID to do those things? 

Most banks need some form of official ID to open an account, are people supressed there as well?

I would be interested to know the percentage of people who do not have any of the following:  current passport, current photo drivers license, current provisional photo driving license, expired passport with identifiable photo, expired photo driving license with identifiable photo,  senior citizens bus pass, disabled bus pass, college ID with photo, NUS card with photo, Government work ID with photo.

Surely its less than 10% of people? The majority of which dont give a toss about voting anyway, I would wager, and those that do can apply for this free ID thing if they want.

Edited by HeHasRisen

13 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Ticking a box on a form everyone gets once a year to apply for a postal vote is hardly a "hoop" now, is it?

It's ironic that people supporting this measure supposedly to combat in person voter fraud, for which there's essenstially no evidence for, are so keen for people to use a method where there is evidence of it being used for organised voter fraud in the past.

1 minute ago, altus said:

It's ironic that people supporting this measure supposedly to combat in person voter fraud, for which there's essenstially no evidence for, are so keen for people to use a method where there is evidence of it being used for organised voter fraud in the past.

Well to be fair I would rather people just applied for a photo ID but I concede there are very paranoid people out there who wont do this, and postal voting is their only alternative. 

Proven postal voter fraud is hardly rife either.

Edited by HeHasRisen

One aspect of registering to be a voter in the UK is that you have to supply a national insurance number.  If you have never had a national insurance number, you have to provide photographic ID to prove who you are. Does this suppress voters?

Anyone wanting to learn to drive now has to apply for a PHOTO licence! I mean, isn't that shocking? A photo! On a card! It's going to disenfranchise millions of people from being able to drive, or something!

8 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Anyone wanting to learn to drive now has to apply for a PHOTO licence! I mean, isn't that shocking? A photo! On a card! It's going to disenfranchise millions of people from being able to drive, or something!

:loopy: 

18 years ago I applied for a Provisional license, with a view to having driving lessons in an Automatic, I was refused because my Parents declared my various disabilities so the DVLA said I'd never be able to control a vehicle.

I wouldn't mind but about 7 years previous, I'd had a P license plus driving lessons, only difference was in 1996 I wasn't diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, and I know for a fact there are other "Aspies" who drive.

And no, I don't have links to back that up, Google is your friend :D 

48 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well to be fair I would rather people just applied for a photo ID but I concede there are very paranoid people out there who wont do this, and postal voting is their only alternative. 

Proven postal voter fraud is hardly rife either.

If neither is proven to be significant why spend tax payers' money fixing a problem when you don't even know whether it exists?

If you think it is a problem despite not having any evidence why not spend a small amount of money to see if there really is a problem rather than a large amount to solve a probably imaginary problem needlessly?