Photo Id To Vote - Voter Suppression Or Election Fraud Prevention?

29 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

You dont know that isnt happening here, right? Its a case of carrying ID for the journey to the polling station and back, once a year, maybe twice at a push, for about half an hour each time.

If you still dont like the idea of this, apply for postal voting.

That was part of my thoughts of ID cards in general - OK until they become mandatory to carry,

As for voting, as I said it's complete overkill.

How do we know its overkill? As already said we only know the numbers who get caught and prosecuted? Could be rife for all we know.

10 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

How do we know its overkill? As already said we only know the numbers who get caught and prosecuted? Could be rife for all we know.

Same for most things, we have checks and balances and hope that is enough.  We had laws, rules and inspectors, but that didn't stop poor practice leading to BSE in our food chain and the fallout from that.  We have laws on confidentiality, privacy and Data Protection, but that didn't stop Covid patients details being leaked ( . 

We all give our some information to other organisations, some neccessary (eg NHS), and many optional (shops, social media etc).  We trust them to keep it safely, governed by sets of laws and regulations. 

We only hear of the breaches that are published (https://www.itgovernance.co.uk/blog/tiktok-youtube-instagram-accounts-compromised  and  https://www.itgovernance.co.uk/blog/public-health-wales-accidentally-publishes-18000-coronavirus-patients-data), and have no ways of knowing of cover-ups of other breaches. 

Introducing more technology for voting would surely increase the risks, as hackers would see a juicy source of information on vast numbers of people to get at. 

Labour MPs are really against this at the moment, lauding the old "poor huddled masses" line at people being excluded.

Funny how they didn't really care when they wanted mandatory ID cards for all when they were in power.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well we know other things are rife and we dnot do anything about that!

4 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Labour MPs are really against this at the moment, lauding the old "poor huddled masses" line at people being excluded.

Funny how they didn't really care when they wanted mandatory ID cards for all when they were in power.

Fair comment. 

Yet again, nobody is being excluded. Dont want a photo ID? Apply for a postal vote. It isnt rocket science.

I read that if you don't have passport or driving licence then you'll be able to apply for a free photo ID anyway.

I'd much rather they concentrate on getting voter turnout up.  People died for votes and people can't be bothered to walk a few hundred yards to a polling station.  You don't even have to vote LIB, LAB or CON, give your vote to the greens. 

Edited by alchresearch

3 hours ago, GabrielC said:

In the Queens Speech the government want to bring out photo ID for voting  on the surface it seems nothing to ask.

But I have never seen any reports highlighting election fraud or seen any evidence that such fraud effects an outcome of a election. The question then becomes why now ? 

Granted I'm sure most people have photo ID which could be a driving licence or an passport but not everyone has these the reasons are many or simply can not afford to pay for it.

I do suspect the move is designed to give the Tories an edge in elections like the moving of election boundaries to give them a possibly ten seats more majority.  Will the government give free photo ID  to people who can not afford an passport or have we become pay for your vote democracy?.

The moving of election boundaries has nothing to do with the Tories, the government or any body other than the boundaries commission. It is not designed to give any political party an edge. 

20 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

I read that if you don't have passport or driving licence then you'll be able to apply for a free photo ID anyway.

I'd much rather they concentrate on getting voter turnout up.  People died for votes and people can't be bothered to walk a few hundred yards to a polling station.  You don't even have to vote LIB, LAB or CON, give your vote to the greens. 

How long will it take to get one?

Just now, tinfoilhat said:

How long will it take to get one?

Who knows, but its hardly a state secret as to when most elections are being held, people will just have to be proactive and sort it in good time,  anyone who applies for one the day before an election is going to be disappointed. 

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

They'll have an idea from council elections. Shave off a solid Labour (or tory) wards from constituency to another - it's not hard to work out.

Again, when it comes to the original post regarding Rotherham council elections I replied to, that comment is a load of rubbish.

What "solid tory" wards were there in Rotherham at the last council elections that the boundaries could be altered to make more Tory or blend with another ........... Zero

To give the facts to counter the unfounded opinion

2016 council elections  - Labour 77016 votes, Conservative 11871 - Total 88887

2021 council elections - Labour 50686 votes, Conservative 34833 - Total 85519

As a percentage of the combined Lab/Con vote 

2016 - Lab 86.7%, Con 13.3%

2021 - Lab 59.3% Con 40.7%

That has nothing to do with an odd boundary change, that is simply 26000+ votes less for Labour for whatever reason the voters chose and 23000 more votes for the Conservatives  - Thats not hard to work out is it?

Meh, I'm in the process of applying for a British Passport to use as ID for applying for jobs because I knew the clueless halfwits in London would come up with this daft plan to make ID cards compulsory! :rant:  :loopy: