Did anybody attend a concert by Genesis at the Penthouse Club in Dixon Lane in the early 1970’s ? I was there and am trying to find out when it was and whether anybody has memories of it. 

I'm pretty sure that if you do a search on the Forum you will find some information.

Hi Lakefamille, this is probably going to come as a bit of a surprise to you, but I was there, at the Penthouse to see Genesis with my best friend at the time, Clive. We were mad Genesis fans and had purchased tickets to see them at Sheffield City Hall where they were supporting Van Der Graff Generator and Lindisfarne earlier in the year. Genesis never turned up for the concert, hence why they promised a return gig to Sheffield. If I am right in saying,  hardly more than a handful of people actually turned up at the Penthouse to see Genesis. I remember the night vividly. It was the first and only time I ever went to the Penthouse - I remember walking up all the stairs to the reach the club, the sparseness of the dark interior decoration, the long bar on the back wall, the small stage Genesis appeared on, and the coldness of the club. Clive and I sat on the floor in front of the stage, there was no one else there, just us two with Genesis playing their entire concert in front of us. Peter Gabriel said over the microphone at the end of the concert, 'you two will always remember this concert.' How could we ever forget it? 

There's a biography about Genesis in which they mention the concert in Sheffield and how there were more people on stage than in the audience. 

There's more to this story but I won't say it all in this post. 

Did you go in Norfolk pub that night . LOL .

11 hours ago, ISEE said:

There's a biography about Genesis in which they mention the concert in Sheffield and how there were more people on stage than in the audience. 

I enjoyed reading this and you say there is more to the story?  So hopefully you will do another one.  It was really interesting.  

It’s lovely reading people’s stories of times gone by in the history tread.  

18 hours ago, ISEE said:

Hi Lakefamille, this is probably going to come as a bit of a surprise to you, but I was there, at the Penthouse to see Genesis with my best friend at the time, Clive. We were mad Genesis fans and had purchased tickets to see them at Sheffield City Hall where they were supporting Van Der Graff Generator and Lindisfarne earlier in the year. Genesis never turned up for the concert, hence why they promised a return gig to Sheffield. If I am right in saying,  hardly more than a handful of people actually turned up at the Penthouse to see Genesis. I remember the night vividly. It was the first and only time I ever went to the Penthouse - I remember walking up all the stairs to the reach the club, the sparseness of the dark interior decoration, the long bar on the back wall, the small stage Genesis appeared on, and the coldness of the club. Clive and I sat on the floor in front of the stage, there was no one else there, just us two with Genesis playing their entire concert in front of us. Peter Gabriel said over the microphone at the end of the concert, 'you two will always remember this concert.' How could we ever forget it? 

I remember Genesis, Lindisfarne and Van Der Graaf Generator playing the City Hall -  early 71. Genesis were first on stage. They ended their set with "The Knife", Peter Gabriel pointed his mic stand at the audience like a gun singing "some of you are going to die". All the bands were on the Charisma label and tickets were 60p,

Charisma did another 60p for 3 tour later in 71 featuring Brian Davison's Every Which Way, Jackson Heights and Audience.

Edited by Longcol

That's an interesting account, Longcol. 

The reason Genesis never appeared at the City Hall was because they had a motorway mishap. Perhaps, the Genesis concert you recall at the City Hall was on a different date? Genesis played the Penthouse because they didn't want to disappoint their fans in Sheffield after they didn't turn up at the City Hall. I was at the City Hall when Genesis didn't appear, and Van der Graff Generator and Lindisfarne played. Looking back, the concert at the Penthouse was a once in a lifetime experience that even Genesis have never forgotten. I was looking at the gig lists for Genesis and I could not find the date when they appeared at the Penthouse. If we can find that date, it will determine the date of the concert they failed to turn up to at the City Hall.  

The date is documented somewhere, it's just locating it.

Sorry Cuttsie, I didn't't go to the Norfolk. I've never been there, but maybe when I next visit Sheffield, I will make a visit.

Edited by ISEE

In reply to Hauxwell - In 1972, I moved to London to live. My first job was at the Marquee Club in Wardour Street, Soho, where I worked 7 nights a week, first as a glass collector, then after a few months I was promoted to being barman in the back bar. I ended up being cellar man and head barman and worked in the Star Bar (there were 2 bars inside the Marquee). I worked at The Marquee for around 5 or 6 years. On the floor above the Marquee was Tony Stratton Smith's Charisma label office that Genesis etc. were signed to, so I regularly saw the Charisma bands coming and going when they visited Tony's office. At the end of the day, Tony would sometimes come down to the Marquee and drink in the Star Bar, as would many of the current day pop and rock stars. Through a friend (who worked for the concert promoter Harvey Goldsmith), I got a part-time job working for Harvey  providing food in the dressing rooms of the rock and pop bands he was promoting that were appearing in London - bands such as Chicago, Manhattan Transfer, Van Morrison, etc. and Peter Gabriel at the Hammersmith Odeon when he performed 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.' I would lay the food out in the band's dressing room, all the food I bought was from M&S (so it was a good display). Harvey Goldsmith was very impressed, because the previous person that did the catering just provided crisps and a few sausage rolls. All the bands complimented me and said it was the best food they'd ever seen in a dressing room. During Peter Gabriel's run at the Hammersmith Odeon I was in the band dressing room arranging the food and Peter kept looking across at me inquisitively. He was being interviewed by a journalist. After the interview, he came over to chat to me, and complimented me on the food. I told him, all I did was buy it from M&S. He laughed, and then said, for some reason I recognise you from somewhere. I told him I worked at the Marquee, perhaps he'd seen me there. Then I remembered the Penthouse Club, in Sheffield, so I told him, unless of course it was at the Penthouse Club in Sheffield. Peter went quiet for a moment and then looked at me face on and asked, 'were you there?' 'Yes,' I replied. 'I was one of the two guys sitting on the floor in front of the stage.' He'd performed the whole concert that night to Clive and me, and he remembered my face. I was shocked, as was he. 

It was fantastic working for Harvey as I'd get to see all the bands performances from the wings on stage. Peter Gabriel's run at the Hammersmith Odeon was spectacular. 

Edited by ISEE

15 hours ago, Longcol said:

I remember Genesis, Lindisfarne and Van Der Graaf Generator playing the City Hall -  early 71. Genesis were first on stage. They ended their set with "The Knife", Peter Gabriel pointed his mic stand at the audience like a gun singing "some of you are going to die". All the bands were on the Charisma label and tickets were 60p,

Charisma did another 60p for 3 tour later in 71 featuring Brian Davison's Every Which Way, Jackson Heights and Audience.

9 hours ago, ISEE said:

In reply to Hauxwell -

Then I remembered the Penthouse Club, in Sheffield, so I told him, unless of course it was at the Penthouse Club in Sheffield. Peter went quiet for a moment and then looked at me face on and asked, 'were you there?' 'Yes,' I replied. 'I was one of the two guys sitting on the floor in front of the stage.' He'd performed the whole concert that night to Clive and me, and he remembered my face. I was shocked, as was he. 

Excellent story ISEE.

Thanks for sharing.

I remember the steps up to the Penthouse and your description of the interior brings back memories.

I was at the 71 concert Longcol mentions but didn't pay for any of the concerts back then (another story).

60p was a lot of money back then - it'd buy you 3 pints :hihi:

Mate of mine decided shaving his hair same as Peter Gabriel's tramline was a good idea - never grew back:hihi:

Keep safe.

Happy Daze. 

10 hours ago, ISEE said:

In reply to Hauxwell - In 1972, I moved to London to live. My first job was at the Marquee Club in Wardour Street, Soho, where I worked 7 nights a week, first as a glass collector, then after a few months I was promoted to being barman in the back bar. I ended up being cellar man and head barman and worked in the Star Bar (there were 2 bars inside the Marquee). I worked at The Marquee for around 5 or 6 years. On the floor above the Marquee was Tony Stratton Smith's Charisma label office that Genesis etc. were signed to, so I regularly saw the Charisma bands coming and going when they visited Tony's office. At the end of the day, Tony would sometimes come down to the Marquee and drink in the Star Bar, as would many of the current day pop and rock stars. Through a friend (who worked for the concert promoter Harvey Goldsmith), I got a part-time job working for Harvey  providing food in the dressing rooms of the rock and pop bands he was promoting that were appearing in London - bands such as Chicago, Manhattan Transfer, Van Morrison, etc. and Peter Gabriel at the Hammersmith Odeon when he performed 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.' I would lay the food out in the band's dressing room, all the food I bought was from M&S (so it was a good display). Harvey Goldsmith was very impressed, because the previous person that did the catering just provided crisps and a few sausage rolls. All the bands complimented me and said it was the best food they'd ever seen in a dressing room. During Peter Gabriel's run at the Hammersmith Odeon I was in the band dressing room arranging the food and Peter kept looking across at me inquisitively. He was being interviewed by a journalist. After the interview, he came over to chat to me, and complimented me on the food. I told him, all I did was buy it from M&S. He laughed, and then said, for some reason I recognise you from somewhere. I told him I worked at the Marquee, perhaps he'd seen me there. Then I remembered the Penthouse Club, in Sheffield, so I told him, unless of course it was at the Penthouse Club in Sheffield. Peter went quiet for a moment and then looked at me face on and asked, 'were you there?' 'Yes,' I replied. 'I was one of the two guys sitting on the floor in front of the stage.' He'd performed the whole concert that night to Clive and me, and he remembered my face. I was shocked, as was he. 

It was fantastic working for Harvey as I'd get to see all the bands performances from the wings on stage. Peter Gabriel's run at the Hammersmith Odeon was spectacular. 

There certainly is more to this story and really enjoyed reading the follow up.  I can understand why you enjoyed working for Harvey, you did well when you got the job working for him, seeing all those bands perform live.  I’m sure you have lots of stories to tell when you worked for him.  
Peter had a good memory for faces knowing he had seen you before, but then how could he forget playing at the Penthouse Club. You sound as though you made a name for yourself with your catering, hope you got paid well for it and tips off the bands.

Thank you ISEE for sharing your story.