Meadowhall Full To Capacity - Shoppers Told To Wait Outside!

Guest busdriver1
58 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

An interesting link.  I’ve never heard of the Westfield before.

Westfields are not out of town though. They are very much town centre  locations.

35 minutes ago, Ms Macbeth said:

The Metro Centre was built a few years  before Meadowhall.  We stopped there a couple of times on our regular journeys up the A1 to Scotland.  

I liked the idea, but I'm not a fan of the reality, I prefer being outdoors between shops.  I might visit Meadowhall three or four times a year at most.. 

Yes the Metro Centre did open before Meadowhall.   I use to take advantage of the coach firms offering cheap day trips when the novelty was new from Sheffield to Metro Centre.

Not to to visit the Metro tho, to meet up with my family in Newcastle. However that stoped when Meadowhall opened.   
Meadowhall use to come in handy when my mother was alive, it is wheel chair friendly and she wasn’t very good at walking towards the end of her life so I use to be a regular visitor at the centre.

9 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Westfields are not out of town though. They are very much town centre  locations.

Do you mean a bit like The Eldon Square in Newcastle but on  a smaller scale.

Edited by hauxwell

I dont get it, who queues to get in a shopping centre really?? some people must lead shallow lives if they are so desperate to shop in mediocre surroundings , treated like cattle and not even cheap? the rest of the world has a different slant on shopping try the Malls in Dubai or even America the shopper is king.

1 minute ago, ab6262 said:

I dont get it, who queues to get in a shopping centre really?? 

People who need to go and use the shops contained therein? Not my bag but it is the "bag" of plenty of people, don't see why people should be snobby over it. Lest we forget for months last year we all had to queue outside supermarkets.

6 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

People who need to go and use the shops contained therein? Not my bag but it is the "bag" of plenty of people, don't see why people should be snobby over it. Lest we forget for months last year we all had to queue outside supermarkets.

what i mean is what is in meadowhall that you are so desperate for that you have to queue?? i get supermarkets in the given situation but shopping centres so much for broken britain and poor wages i dont think so!

Just now, ab6262 said:

what i mean is what is in meadowhall that you are so desperate for that you have to queue?? i get supermarkets in the given situation but shopping centres so much for broken britain and poor wages i dont think so!

I dont think "desperate" is the right word really, for a lot of people its just something to do I suppose.  Especially on a rainy bank holiday or weekend day.

Now...queuing at 4am outside Next on Boxing Day morning, now anyone doing that should be deported to a rocky outcrop and left to fend for themselves.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

I dont think "desperation" is the right word really, for a lot of people its just something to do I suppose.  Especially on a rainy bank holiday or weekend day.

each to their own i guess, i would rather pull my teeth out, the only time i step foot in there is if i get a call to say a watch has arrived.

Guest busdriver1
4 hours ago, hauxwell said:

Do you mean a bit like The Eldon Square in Newcastle but on  a smaller scale.

Nail on the head . 👍

5 hours ago, ab6262 said:

I dont get it, who queues to get in a shopping centre really?? some people must lead shallow lives if they are so desperate to shop in mediocre surroundings , treated like cattle and not even cheap? the rest of the world has a different slant on shopping try the Malls in Dubai or even America the shopper is king.

Really? That is certainly not been my experience.

In Dubai some shoppers may well be treated like a king but only if the price is right, you have the right look and enough cash to flash. I bet if you go and ask the low-paid, low skilled and and low-income workers who built that city up how they get treated they may have a very different story.

As for the US, whilst of course they are  notorious for their OTT service culture with the customer always being right, their malls are in the most relics of poorly built, run down, decaying and often completely dead structures.

Whilst of course there maybe a few exceptions in glamorous locations, in vast amounts of Middle America, the rust belt and the southern states where the ordinary proles live, you will find and horrendous looking and run down mall complexes which have not had so much as a lick of paint for 40 years. Others suffered horrendous anti-social behaviour, shootings or other more serious crimes leading to tenants leaving in droves. There are entire documentaries and blog articles all over the internet on the demise of the Great American malls of the 70s and the complete oversaturation of the market which followed and is now in Sharp decline.

Been to a few and they are generic ,samey.

As to queuing up to get in as folks do pre Christmas in normal times , rather them.than me

20 hours ago, hauxwell said:

An interesting link.  I’ve never heard of the Westfield before.

They were overtaken by two shopping centres in Moscow both worldwide mentioned as Europe's largest.

Then Westfield had to build a very large expansion to get this largest status back to UK again.

Meadowhall is not for me, I only go if I really need to which might be twice a year.  I much prefer going into town, I just feel cooped up in MHall.  I like to be out in the fresh air so town suits me fine.  I regularly visit Chesterfield town centre as well which is lovely.

Edited by katekate