Meadowhall Full To Capacity - Shoppers Told To Wait Outside!

I was at the Metro Shopping Centre in Gateshead on Saturday. I’m sure it’s bigger than Meadowhall but I would say Meadowhall attracts more visitors. People were sitting on the floor eating their food all over the place because of limited seats, leaving plenty of room to socially distance, no one bothered them.  It was like a teddy bears picnic but there was a nice atmosphere to.  

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

I was at the Metro Shopping Centre in Gateshead on Saturday. I’m sure it’s bigger than Meadowhall but I would say Meadowhall attracts more visitors. People were sitting on the floor eating their food all over the place because of limited seats, leaving plenty of room to socially distance, no one bothered them.  It was like a teddy bears picnic but there was a nice atmosphere to.  

I believe the Metro up at Gateshead's THE biggest shopping Centre in Europe, Meadowhall is the third biggest, so there's another one somewhere that's bigger, I think it's the one at Thurrock down in Essex.

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

If they want to stop people eating and drinking inside they should force all retailers who sell food and drink to close, you can't have the penny and the bun.

I am not bothered either way but there is an obvious contradiction when they allow shops to sell takeaway food then ban you from eating it. I understand them not enforcing it, just confused by the instruction. I dont see a problem with food being eaten.

Guest busdriver1
8 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

I believe the Metro up at Gateshead's THE biggest shopping Centre in Europe, Meadowhall is the third biggest, so there's another one somewhere that's bigger, I think it's the one at Thurrock down in Essex.

Always thought it was:

1 Metrocentre

2 Bluewater

3 Lakeside (Essex)

4 Merryhill

5 Meadowhall

17 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

Thank you for the information.  I thought it looked bigger but it’s not as nice as Meadowhall.

5 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

1 Metrocentre

2 Bluewater

3 Lakeside (Essex)

4 Merryhill

5 Meadowhall

never thought it was the biggest in Europe until I read Mr Allen’s post.

Edited by hauxwell

8 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Always thought it was:

1 Metrocentre

2 Bluewater

3 Lakeside (Essex)

4 Merryhill

5 Meadowhall

https://news.sky.com/story/whey-aye-plans-announced-for-460ft-observation-wheel-in-newcastle-11380611

I'm going a bit off topic here but if Newcastle goes ahead and builds an observation wheel on the quayside it’s going to be bigger than the one in London. 

Guest busdriver1
19 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

Thank you for the information.  I thought it looked bigger but it’s not as nice as Meadowhall.

never thought it was the biggest in Europe until I read Mr Allen’s post.

Meadowhall - Nice  Oh dear me. 

9 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

https://news.sky.com/story/whey-aye-plans-announced-for-460ft-observation-wheel-in-newcastle-11380611

I'm going a bit off topic here but if Newcastle goes ahead and builds an observation wheel on the quayside it’s going to be bigger than the one in London. 

Well if they want to be able to see anything other than the Quayside it would have to be massive since the riverside is so much lower than the main city.

I'm not sure but I think the Trafford Centre over in Manchester is bigger than Meadowhall, and I've been about twice.

12 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Meadowhall - Nice  Oh dear me. 

Well if they want to be able to see anything other than the Quayside it would have to be massive since the riverside is so much lower than the main city.

Just my opinion about Meadowhall.  Your right about the the Quayside being lower than the main city.  Grey Street seems to be getting steeper each time I walk up it.  I still think you will get a decent view of the area if they go ahead with the wheel.

17 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

I'm not sure but I think the Trafford Centre over in Manchester is bigger than Meadowhall, and I've been about twice.

I’ve never been to the Trafford Centre but I was told it looked bigger than Meadowhall by friends who have.   I’d like to go tho.

29 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

An interesting link.  I’ve never heard of the Westfield before.

The Metro Centre was built a few years  before Meadowhall.  We stopped there a couple of times on our regular journeys up the A1 to Scotland.  

I liked the idea, but I'm not a fan of the reality, I prefer being outdoors between shops.  I might visit Meadowhall three or four times a year at most..