Availability Of New Imacs

Hi

I don't think the new iMacs are available to purchase until later this month, but does anyone know if they are yet on display at the Apple Shop in Meadowhall?

Thanks

Give them a ring - 0114 212 1000

You're welcome

Had my question been: "How do I contact the Apple shop at Meadowhall in order to find out if they have new iMacs on display?", then your answer would have been excellent.

1 hour ago, Grahamfff said:

Had my question been: "How do I contact the Apple shop at Meadowhall in order to find out if they have new iMacs on display?", then your answer would have been excellent.

Also, there was a post on Facebook this morning stating that Meadowhall is full to capacity at the moment and asking people not to go :D 

Available second half of May.

https://www.apple.com/uk/mac/

Personally, I'm not a fan of the new iMac styling at all. Bright colours and white bezels, ugh! Looks like they're designed for children or students. I'd probably have to go for the silver one, if I had to buy one...

I'm sure you'll not be disappointed performance wise though, I've had a M1 mac mini for a few months now, and it's very nice and super zippy. Good luck!

If I had the funds (and sadly I don't) I'd consider buying a second hand Macbook on eBay to continue the learning of apps such as Adobe After Effects and Premier which I use at my Thursday morning animation course.

3 hours ago, Waldo said:

Available second half of May.

https://www.apple.com/uk/mac/

Personally, I'm not a fan of the new iMac styling at all. Bright colours and white bezels, ugh! Looks like they're designed for children or students. I'd probably have to go for the silver one, if I had to buy one...

I'm sure you'll not be disappointed performance wise though, I've had a M1 mac mini for a few months now, and it's very nice and super zippy. Good luck!

I'm not sure I like the styling that much myself - presumably it has changed so much because Jonny Ive has left - but would like to see them in the  flesh, as it were. I'm aware you can't get one till later the month, but thought maybe the Shop had some you could look at.

Not sure, I guess the best bet is to ring first?

I went to visit late last year and they weren't allowing anyone in to the store without an appointment (Covid restrictions I guess). You had to book online, which was a pain (no slots etc). Possibly they still have the same or similar booking system to restrict numbers in the store?

I was wanting to look at iMacs too; ended up going to John Lewis instead, but that's no longer an option.

NOTE: Lucky escape I didn't end up with an Intel iMac! *phew*

Edited by Waldo

13 hours ago, Waldo said:

NOTE: Lucky escape I didn't end up with an Intel iMac! *phew*

Why? Apart from it's a previous generation. I own an iMac, just curious why you had a "Lucky escape"

12 minutes ago, zach said:

Why? Apart from it's a previous generation. I own an iMac, just curious why you had a "Lucky escape"

Sure. I ended up getting an M1 Mac mini.

At the time (late 2020 before M1 Macs were available), I was considering either an Intel Mac mini or 27" iMac. So glad I didn't get either and held out for an M1 Mac. Vastly superior IMO. I also have a M1 MacBook Air, which I'm also super pleased with; same (near as damn it) performance as the M1 Mac mini, long battery life, no fan and doesn't even begin to get hot (feels cold all the time I'm using it).

Performance wise, I'd say M1 Macs blow Intel variants out of the water; you'd pay a lot more to get comparable performance from an Intel Mac, and then you'd still have issues with overheating and thermal throttling etc (which I was stressing over when considering a i5 or i7 Intel Mac mini).

Edited by Waldo

8 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Sure. I ended up getting an M1 Mac mini.

At the time (late 2020 before M1 Macs were available), I was considering either an Intel Mac mini or 27" iMac. So glad I didn't get either and held out for an M1 Mac. Vastly superior IMO. I also have a M1 MacBook Air, which I'm also super pleased with; same (near as damn it) performance as the M1 Mac mini, long battery life, no fan and doesn't even begin to get hot (feels cold all the time I'm using it).

Performance wise, I'd say M1 Macs blow Intel variants out of the water; you'd pay a lot more to get comparable performance from an Intel Mac, and then you'd still have issues with overheating and thermal throttling etc (which I was stressing over when considering a i5 or i7 Intel Mac mini).

I can't comment on the M1 as I don't own one. I have the 2019 i5 27" and use Final Cut Pro fairly often, some are very high quality encodes. No overheating or CPU throttling.

I may move to the M1 chip at some point, for now the i5/580X does what I need. You're doing the right thing by waiting for the one you want. Let's hope it serves you as well as the other macs you own, and you get it fairly soon 😉

Nothings certain at the moment.

Global shortage on semi-conductors means it's pot-luck if you can actually get hold of any piece of new tech.

Sony's PS5 is still in short supply despite being released last November, they can't get the parts in to make them fast enough.