How Do You Add Links To A Forum Post?

Hi everyone! :wave:

I'm not sure if this should be posted in this section or the Computer & Tech Chat section, but I need a bit of technical advice.

1. How do you include a link to a YouTube video that displays the video box containing a frame from the video?

I know how to add a link that displays that link or a bit of text for you to click, but the box/frame bit has got me flummoxed! I've seen a few users manage this on here, but I can't for the life of me work out how they've done it! (Yep - I know I could have PM'd them directly but I also wanted to know the 'official' forum stance on this.)

2. Is it possible to include just audio in a post (wav or mp3 files etc) and if so, how do you do it?

Ta very much! :)

56 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hi everyone! :wave:

I'm not sure if this should be posted in this section or the Computer & Tech Chat section, but I need a bit of technical advice.

1. How do you include a link to a YouTube video that displays the video box containing a frame from the video?

I know how to add a link that displays that link or a bit of text for you to click, but the box/frame bit has got me flummoxed! I've seen a few users manage this on here, but I can't for the life of me work out how they've done it! (Yep - I know I could have PM'd them directly but I also wanted to know the 'official' forum stance on this.)

2. Is it possible to include just audio in a post (wav or mp3 files etc) and if so, how do you do it?

Ta very much! :)

Like this?

:hihi:

Yep - just like that!

Are you going to tell us how you did it please? :confused:

Posted (edited)

I had to have a couple of tries at this.

1. Right click on the video and select 'copy the video URL' via Youtube etc (I always sign out of Youtube)

2. Just paste the 'URL copy' after whatever text you put in the post, or just paste the link (no text needed)

Maybe there's a better way, this way works for me. I'm not sure how you would get to a certain frame in the video (if that's what you meant)

Edited by zach

I just copy the URL from the browser address bar (eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqr6JUysERQ&ab_channel=BBCNews ) and paste it into the reply box on the forum. If it can the forum will auto-generate the preview picture like in Jims post. It also gives you an option to post as a link instead rather than using the preview.

Not all websites will generate a preview, for example Youtube and Twitter do, BBC doesn't. Just give it a try, it will generate the preview before you have to hit submit so you can see what it will look like.

@zach - to get a video to play from a certain time, pause the video at the moment you want and then you can right click on the video and select "Copy URL at current time"

https://youtu.be/Lqr6JUysERQ?t=69 - is 1 minute 9 seconds into the link I posted above (I assume the t=69 on the end of the URL is something to do with it! :) )

:)

Thanks for your help guys!

I've just tried it and it worked fine (in preview anyway). :clap:

I'd spent ages trying to include the YouTube URL by using the link button but got in a right old mess - I never thought of just pasteing it directly to the post! :blush:

Does anyone have any ideas about how to post audio only files? :huh:

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

@zach - to get a video to play from a certain time, pause the video at the moment you want and then you can right click on the video and select "Copy URL at current time"

https://youtu.be/Lqr6JUysERQ?t=69 - is 1 minute 9 seconds into the link I posted above (I assume the t=69 on the end of the URL is something to do with it! :) )

Thanks.

So simple...now I've been shown! The 69 just looks like a second counter, and acts as a start point. I'm getting my nephew though another Microsoft exam. Starting a video at the right point will be a big help.

Cheers mate. appreciate the help.

3 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

:)

Thanks for your help guys!

I've just tried it and it worked fine (in preview anyway). :clap:

I'd spent ages trying to include the YouTube URL by using the link button but got in a right old mess - I never thought of just pasteing it directly to the post! :blush:

Does anyone have any ideas about how to post audio only files? :huh:

That's what I was doing...wrong!

Glad it's sorted 😉

Edited by zach