Last Hst 125 Soon And Other Rail Stuff.

The 40 year old HST 125 trains will soon no longer run between Sheffield and London.

There will be no announcement of the last service.

There may be one or two this week coming.

Sheffield London trains may be busier next week as there will be  fewer Doncaster- London and Lancashire- London trains.

The new freight yard is now up and running at Tinsley with regular services from DB Cargo Eurohub Barking in London.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

The last EMR 125 runs on Thursday (13th) on a St Pancras to Leicester and return special.

Cross Country still have a few sets running, I saw two within an hour passing through Sheffield on Friday.

My son ridiculed me the other day when I referred to the '125 '  train, saying I was a dinosaur and these stopped many years ago. This is undoubtedly true  on both counts, but can anybody tell me when approx the '125' trains stopped as a regular service please?

The Class 43 aka InterCity 125 aka High Speed Train (HST)  will be running in passenger service  in Scotland  for several more years although a great many are being scrapped as new trains come into use- eg Hitachi 80x!

A group of them are no longer compliant with modern regulation on windows, doors and toilet facilities and waste disposal. This group is being removed from service and scrapped mainly from EMR.

New electric trains have replaced the EMR Meridian diesel trains between Corby and St Pancras. These trains and others will replace all InterCity 125 on the EMR Sheffield/Nottingham to St Pancras route.

There are a few still working on LNER, XC and GWR - these are compliant with the modern regulations and have been retained because of demand- they will be very useful this week, replacing the Hitachi 80x!

A third group is being renovated and altered for regional services in Scotland.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

There were very few scheduled services from Sheffield of the 125s in the last few years (unfortunately) most were on the Nottingham services

I am not sure how many of the units that GWR have retained are full length as most were like in Scotland  reduced with 2 or three carriages sandwiched between the power cars to provide comfortable fast local services

A great shame as many of the "new trains " are far less comfortable than the 125s especially the Meridians on EML and the awful voyagers on XC

Indeed expect the Sheffield London services to be busier as may be connecting local services to Leeds and Doncaster

On 09/05/2021 at 15:26, darylslinn said:

The last EMR 125 runs on Thursday (13th) on a St Pancras to Leicester and return special.

Cross Country still have a few sets running, I saw two within an hour passing through Sheffield on Friday.

The last EMR 125 might have run today (Friday 14th) , it could run again tomorrow -there will be no announcement until the last one has ended its run.

The Intercity 125 High Speed Trains still operate in small numbers on Cross Country's Edinburgh to Plymouth via Sheffield route alongside the more modern Voyager trains (that also do 125mph), however they have had a fair amount of money spent on modernising the coaches with electric doors and disabled access that meets current legislation. The only other operators still running the old IC125s (shortened and modernised) are Scotrail (on Edinburgh/Glasgow-Inversness/Aberdeen) and First Great Western (in the West Country).

The last EMR 125 trains will be running today, Saturday.

9 hours ago, Andy C said:

The Intercity 125 High Speed Trains still operate in small numbers on Cross Country's Edinburgh to Plymouth via Sheffield route alongside the more modern Voyager trains (that also do 125mph), however they have had a fair amount of money spent on modernising the coaches with electric doors and disabled access that meets current legislation. The only other operators still running the old IC125s (shortened and modernised) are Scotrail (on Edinburgh/Glasgow-Inversness/Aberdeen) and First Great Western (in the West Country).

The Voyager may indeed be more modern but when I traveled to the West Country from here I would go out of my way to catch the HST 125 (I do not know if you can still check what rolling stock is scheduled) it was so much more pleasant than the Voyagers and indeed far superior to the Meridians on the EML. We are told that the new trains for EML will be a far more comfortable experience but the bean counters always see a simple win is to get cheaper seating and perhaps fit more in

1 hour ago, Bigal1 said:

The Voyager may indeed be more modern but when I traveled to the West Country from here I would go out of my way to catch the HST 125 (I do not know if you can still check what rolling stock is scheduled) it was so much more pleasant than the Voyagers and indeed far superior to the Meridians on the EML. We are told that the new trains for EML will be a far more comfortable experience but the bean counters always see a simple win is to get cheaper seating and perhaps fit more in

The Meridians are an improvement on the Voyagers as they are a little less claustrophobic (possible because tilt kit isn't displacing electrical equipment from outside to inside), but otherwise I think on the Cross Country route the biggest issue with Voyagers is they don't have enough coaches on. A legacy of the Department for Transport...

However a locomotive hauled train (which an Intercity 125 HST is a variant of) will always benefit from less noise and vibration without diesel engines mounted under the passenger coach!

Edited by Andy C

AndyC an improvement yes but still far inferior to the 125

Voyagers were 4/5 cars at the whim of Virgin Rail not the DaFT the idea being  to have more frequent shorter trains but of course Branson and Co had so little understanding of the railway that they never reaslised that on certain core bits of the journey especially but not only   at peak times the formation would not be suitable.  Then of course the idea that they would do anything that cost them money like extra carriages was not an option and as we saw on the WCML not only did they wait until the government stepped in they even wanted compensation for the disruption of adding the coaches to the Pendelino. Mind you of course they never cared if passengers had to stand for a couple of hours cause they got the revenue without providing the resources

even when empty could never be described as a joy to travel on

1 hour ago, Bigal1 said:

AndyC an improvement yes but still far inferior to the 125

Voyagers were 4/5 cars at the whim of Virgin Rail not the DaFT the idea being  to have more frequent shorter trains but of course Branson and Co had so little understanding of the railway that they never reaslised that on certain core bits of the journey especially but not only   at peak times the formation would not be suitable.  Then of course the idea that they would do anything that cost them money like extra carriages was not an option and as we saw on the WCML not only did they wait until the government stepped in they even wanted compensation for the disruption of adding the coaches to the Pendelino. Mind you of course they never cared if passengers had to stand for a couple of hours cause they got the revenue without providing the resources

even when empty could never be described as a joy to travel on

No standing on high speed trains in Spain.  You have to book a seat, and if there is no spare seats, there is no tickets available