I often wild camp in the peaks, of late the rangers seem to be locating wild campers using thermal image drone equipment.  Once located they're then 'forcibly' moving campers off the land. I know wild camping is illegal in England but AFIK rangers cannot 'force' anyone to leave the land without the Police. During the lockdown this activity appeared to me becoming more popular.   Some chav's would have fires and leave a mess but 'regulars' like myself are always respectful of the environment and leave no trace.   My problem is the rangers are not just targeting the obvious chav's who are treating the peak environment like their housing estate.  They're targeting anyone and treating 'hippy types' and us nudists with the same condemnation.

On the plus side it does to the thrill of going undetected...

Your thoughts on wild camping...? Anyone bothered if like me they leave no trace

Thing with the Peaks is that there are known " wildcamp" spots that dimwits post photos of themselves at.

There was a spate of wildfires last year so land managers are rightfully cracking down

Wobbling about in nude likely gives em a bigger infrared signal too...just saying

Wild camping used to be called camping. 

Camping  without permission in sensitive places was/is seen as a selfish and damaging activity which benefits nobody who owns, uses, enjoys open spaces. 

Last year many campsites were closed and there has also been an increase in "gatherings" and there are bye-laws available locally to discourage campers.

Agreements have been reached  over decades with landowners that enables open access for most of the year.

Annoying land owners does not benefit anyone as they can modify, withdraw from and close permissive pathways to us all.

There have always been individuals who go out at night and do their thing, they know where and where not to go and are of little concern.

What is wrong with pitching a tent in some lonely spot and enjoying the solitude without some jobsworth in riot gear turning up to turf one on , this Country is going PC  daft .

Over the last couple of years we have had perhaps three individuals  living in tents or dens in Greno  woods ,most people had no idea they were there , They did no harm to any one and in the winter they just disappeared  .

Edited by cuttsie

Nothing wrong at all in "...pitching a tent in some lonely spot and enjoying the solitude...".

But it is not your "...lonely spot..." so you need to ask permission.

Landowners see campers(and others) on their land as a threat to their livelihood and amenity and do not want to encourage unregulated use. It has taken decades to build up trust enough to create the areas of Open Access we can now enjoy, these agreements are fragile.

As for the "...Country is going PC  daft .", that makes no sense to those who remember the activities of landowners and their agents and factors of previous generations.

Unfortunately not everyone is as careful as you are. On the Peakdistrict.gov.uk website it says 

'Wild camping' (anywhere outside of designated camp sites) is only allowed with landowner permission, and the majority of landowners in the Peak District do not allow this. There's also no wild camping allowed on National Park Authority land.

Type Sheffield in the map search https://nationaltrust.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=a7a56518c10845daab1950239e041447

Getting landowner permission is not going to be easy. 

Wild camping in Scotland is spoiling the landscape. Recently went to North Berwick and there was about 18 motorhome pitched at the end of the bay, what an eyesore and rubbish lying around. There are several sites within spitting distance.

it could easily be stopped by putting a height barrier on the car park.

Islay  has stopped wil camping and you must now have a booking to get on the island. Checked on the ferry.

12 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Follow him vividly Jim,

Only watched that video last night, he nearly got blown away..

Love His beer shed chats.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Padders said:

Follow him vividly Jim,

I've long suspected Padders and Patrick Dickinson are one and the same. Cheers to you both.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Padders said:

Follow him vividly Jim,

Thats not wild camping . A gas stove , luxury 

• Like 1