Why Dont You Get Lower Prices When You Go Thru Self Service

Just now, apelike said:

Maybe make them card only payments as it unlikely that a kid will have one. ASDA at Manor Top has just introduced two rows of machines with 4 in each row. One row is for card only payment and the other is cash. Both also policed by a member of staff. Not sure why they also have cameras in them which show a live picture of the shopper on screen as well though. Will have to check that one out!

While ever parents are letting their kids loose with credit card details and they're running up massive bills buying stuff on the apple store, there's also nothing stopping them 'borrowing' a card from mums purse. And with contactless payment they don't even need to know the pin. 

1 minute ago, slh73 said:

While ever parents are letting their kids loose with credit card details and they're running up massive bills buying stuff on the apple store, there's also nothing stopping them 'borrowing' a card from mums purse. And with contactless payment they don't even need to know the pin. 

There is actually, a LOT of things, however if the Parents are silly enough to leave their Purses or Wallets in easy reach of the kids, they deserve every charge they get and more IMO.

Guest sibon
54 minutes ago, slh73 said:

How else do you propose they stop kids putting booze through it? 

I bought a cauliflower and a bottle of wine yesterday, from a store that will remain nameless. No age verification asked for, or given.

If I’d known it was so easy to get served, I’d have bought plenty of caulis in the early 80s😀

4 hours ago, slh73 said:

How else do you propose they stop kids putting booze through it? 

Scan a bunch of bananas of the same weight instead, works for me, bananas are cheaper too  :)

On 08/05/2021 at 16:48, sibon said:

I bought a cauliflower and a bottle of wine yesterday, from a store that will remain nameless. No age verification asked for, or given.

If I’d known it was so easy to get served, I’d have bought plenty of caulis in the early 80s😀

If it was on a self service till they probably verified you from the master screen (usually situated on the ciggy counter if its an ASDA, or behind the main counter at the Co-Op) before you got to the payment bit, they dont have to wander up to your till to verify you.

Edited by HeHasRisen

I won’t use the self checkout system, not when Sainsbury’s ( on the Moor ) are making staff redundant, I suppose other Sainsbury’s stores are doing the same, I couldn’t in all honesty see hard working staff lose their jobs then the store expect me to use the self checkout without a thought

One of the female staff, worked for them over twenty years was suspended and ultimately sacked because she had the temerity to question a very young supervisor, the lady was wearing a mask but was told she should wear a different one, she asked why she should change her mask when the supervisor who was berating her, why she wasn’t even wearing a mask, result suspension then dismissal, no common sense was used, several people thought it was just an excuse to get rid of her.

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

I won’t use the self checkout system, not when Sainsbury’s ( on the Moor ) are making staff redundant, I suppose other Sainsbury’s stores are doing the same, I couldn’t in all honesty see hard working staff lose their jobs then the store expect me to use the self checkout without a thought

One of the female staff, worked for them over twenty years was suspended and ultimately sacked because she had the temerity to question a very young supervisor, the lady was wearing a mask but was told she should wear a different one, she asked why she should change her mask when the supervisor who was berating her, why she wasn’t even wearing a mask, result suspension then dismissal, no common sense was used, several people thought it was just an excuse to get rid of her.

If they'd done that to me I'd have saught legal advice with a view to suing the pants off them for unfair dismissal.

On 08/05/2021 at 15:08, Consheff said:

I think you should get a discount for using self service after all your doing all the work the market is saving on checkout staff wages. 

Have you ever considered that self service checkouts might help keep prices low for everyone?  

On 08/05/2021 at 15:08, Consheff said:

I think you should get a discount for using self service after all your doing all the work the market is saving on checkout staff wages. 

And that's why it's nigh on impossible to get a job in retail at the moment (and trust me I've been trying all year! :rant: ) because everywhere has self service machines which negates the need to employ Checkout staff.

12 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

And that's why it's nigh on impossible to get a job in retail at the moment (and trust me I've been trying all year! :rant: ) because everywhere has self service machines which negates the need to employ Checkout staff.

You better off doing delivery driving for them or amazon they crying out for staff good wages

Just now, Consheff said:

You better off doing delivery driving for them or amazon they crying out for staff good wages

1) I don't drive due to disability

2) I had what was supposed to be a telephone interview for the Amazon Depot in Page Hall towards the end of last year, because I declared my disability on the online application form, they wouldn't even interview me (normally I'd challenge that under the 2010 Equality Act but waste of time IMO, the "Act" doesn't get enforced by central government)

35 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

1) I don't drive due to disability

2) I had what was supposed to be a telephone interview for the Amazon Depot in Page Hall towards the end of last year, because I declared my disability on the online application form, they wouldn't even interview me (normally I'd challenge that under the 2010 Equality Act but waste of time IMO, the "Act" doesn't get enforced by central government)

Are you sure it's not because you don't currently have a passport rather than disability discrimination?