What Were Your Best And Worst Jobs?

I used to tell my kids the worst job I had was shaving peaches to make them into nectarines.

Best:

Working on the games (hoopla, cat rack, pick-a-winner, horse races, etc) at a seaside pleasure park in the early 80's. Loved it.

Worst:

Working part-time in the kitchens at a holiday camp for 4 hours each day. My job was to transfer huge stacks of dirty breakfast plates and dishes from large metal bins onto a conveyor belt. The conveyor would slowly take the dishes through an open-ended dishwasher. I then had to take the scalding hot clean plates from the other side and stack them onto another trolley. It was incredibly hot, I sweated so much my glasses kept slipping off. My hands were covered in blisters from the hot plates (gloves were difficult to use as they would transfer dirt from the dirty plates to the clean ones). By the early afternoon I was exhausted, dehydrated, drenched in sweat baked bean sauce and egg yolk and unable to use my hands. Absolutely horrible job.

10 minutes ago, andysm said:

Best:

Working on the games (hoopla, cat rack, pick-a-winner, horse races, etc) at a seaside pleasure park in the early 80's. Loved it.

Worst:

Working part-time in the kitchens at a holiday camp for 4 hours each day. My job was to transfer huge stacks of dirty breakfast plates and dishes from large metal bins onto a conveyor belt. The conveyor would slowly take the dishes through an open-ended dishwasher. I then had to take the scalding hot clean plates from the other side and stack them onto another trolley. It was incredibly hot, I sweated so much my glasses kept slipping off. My hands were covered in blisters from the hot plates (gloves were difficult to use as they would transfer dirt from the dirty plates to the clean ones). By the early afternoon I was exhausted, dehydrated, drenched in sweat baked bean sauce and egg yolk and unable to use my hands. Absolutely horrible job.

I think I would've enjoyed being a "Hi De Hi" style Entertainment staff member on a Holiday Park :D 

Edited by Mr Allen
Typos

Worst job was in an insurance office when I was 18.  I just didn't 'fit'. I went there soon after my dad died, and in hindsight it was a bad time to move jobs.  

Best job, some of the times I had in almost 20 years working in various admin roles for British Gas.   What a great employer they were, nice colleagues, excellent on job training, and decent pay.   

45 minutes ago, Ms Macbeth said:

Worst job was in an insurance office when I was 18.  I just didn't 'fit'. I went there soon after my dad died, and in hindsight it was a bad time to move jobs.  

Best job, some of the times I had in almost 20 years working in various admin roles for British Gas.   What a great employer they were, nice colleagues, excellent on job training, and decent pay.   

Did you work in Rotherham by any chance? My Dad worked as an Inspection and Testing Engineer for BG until he retired on his 65th birthday in October 2013, he's called Bob Allen.

Sorry, I didn't know  him. I worked mainly in Doncaster Service Department, from the late 70s, then Sheffield Engineering for a couple of years, then Rotherham (Transco) until the department closed in 1996, when I went to work for RMBC .

One job I could not do, because I'd be fired after about 5 minutes, is Registrar of births and deaths.

"And what name have you given him?"

"Jayzon"

"Get out"

2 hours ago, Delbow said:

One job I could not do, because I'd be fired after about 5 minutes, is Registrar of births and deaths.

"And what name have you given him?"

"Jayzon"

"Get out"

:hihi:  :loopy:

best when i was young 17-18 best job i had was one of the chefs at the Fiesta Nightclub what a time for a young teen!! older waitresses that should have known better, see all the major stars of the time for free and then take them food backstage.

worst was a few years later when i drove hgvs for an agency , one day there was no work so was sent to a bottling plant taking crates off a conveyor belt and taking bottles out to go in a washer, i lasted 20 mins repetitive boring no thanks!

thats when i decided to work for myself and never again for someone else, best choice ever made!

Worst job was a junior engineer at a company off Carlisle Street.  £2.50 an hour (1995), same rate for days and nights. 

Nights were awful as it was a huge building with no heating.   People would wear long johns and several layours, bring in their own heaters, or even burn wood in an oil drum to keep warm.  

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Worst job was a junior engineer at a company off Carlisle Street.  £2.50 an hour (1995), same rate for days and nights. 

Nights were awful as it was a huge building with no heating.   People would wear long johns and several layours, bring in their own heaters, or even burn wood in an oil drum to keep warm.  

Even for 1995 that's a terrible wage. What a bunch of chancers!

11 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Even for 1995 that's a terrible wage. What a bunch of chancers!

Think he got that wrong, average wage for London in 1995 was £19000 per annum.