Omg I'm Going To Be Arrested.

17 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

110 grand??? 

Crikey that's an awful lot of money to just lose like that. 

I can't help but have a bit of sympathy for that person. I realise my initial post was flippant but being serious about it it must be awful to have 1000s stolen from you like that. What struck me about the call I got was the amateurish nature of it. Litteraly from the 1st few words I could tell it was a scam. 

It's a pity they aren't all so easy to see through. 

Turns out it was even more.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/woman-duped-out-113k-after-24057408

i like to have fun with these scammers, the best ones are the unpaid tax warrant and the motor insurance claim ones, i play along if i have time and get through to senior handlers who begin to take down details like car reg or tax ref no, mine is a good number

p155off and if that doesnt put them off asking them to hold a few times really pees them off

On 06/05/2021 at 12:47, The_DADDY said:

Seriously, does anyone fall for this kind of thing 🙄

Sadly yes; if there was no money in it for the scammers, they wouldn't be doing it. This dude fell for it (lucky he was saved by a Good Samaritan Uber driver).

On 06/05/2021 at 14:06, *Wallace* said:

Yes they do I’ve just been reading about some woman who met a guy on a dating site she ended up sending him 110 grand so there are idiots out there they only have to get one or two and they are sorted for ages.

Please don't call them 'idiots.' I'm sure they feel that for themselves, in fact some are so ashamed they don't even contact the police or anyone else.

These con men are extremely skilled, know all the psychologies and buttons to push. They're also extremely patient and can build the con up over months if not years. I saw a programme about it on TV and the subtleties of the methods they use are profoundly convincing. They even cover the ground of people checking up on them with a backup crew. 

7 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Please don't call them 'idiots.' I'm sure they feel that for themselves, in fact some are so ashamed they don't even contact the police or anyone else.

These con men are extremely skilled, know all the psychologies and buttons to push. They're also extremely patient and can build the con up over months if not years. I saw a programme about it on TV and the subtleties of the methods they use are profoundly convincing. They even cover the ground of people checking up on them with a backup crew. 

Go on sky talk it stops all scams but they are more in to scamming mobiles now 

On 06/05/2021 at 14:23, Mr Allen said:

@The_DADDY With respect mate if you're daft enough to accept a call from an unrecognised number you deserve everything you're getting IMO! :loopy:

The simplest way to not get this kind of thing is do NOT advertise your mobile number online.

I rarely give out my number and in the last few days I have had a text saying Royal Mail were unable to deliver my parcel and O2 couldn't sort my bill, mind you that isn't surprising since I have not been with O2 for about 15 years.

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

I rarely give out my number and in the last few days I have had a text saying Royal Mail were unable to deliver my parcel and O2 couldn't sort my bill, mind you that isn't surprising since I have not been with O2 for about 15 years.

Had the Royal Mail one this morning at 3.15 . Guess what  , ive got no deliveries expected .

On 07/05/2021 at 07:20, *Wallace* said:

Awww that's really quite sad. 

I genuinely feel for her. 

21 hours ago, spider1 said:

Go on sky talk it stops all scams but they are more in to scamming mobiles now 

I'm on sky talk. The scams don't stop sadly. On average I'll get around 6 to 10 calls a month. Fortunately they are the type that are incredibly easy to see through. 

Very very strong Indian/Pakistani accent with proper Western names and they get really abusive if you don't do what they tell you to 😂

8 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Awww that's really quite sad. 

I genuinely feel for her. 

I'm on sky talk. The scams don't stop sadly. On average I'll get around 6 to 10 calls a month. Fortunately they are the type that are incredibly easy to see through. 

Very very strong Indian/Pakistani accent with proper Western names and they get really abusive if you don't do what they tell you to 😂

Indeed, and even if you're ex directory and on TPS on the landline and mobile it doesn't stop the scammers because most of them are Foreign, on which TPS has no jurisdiction.

Fortunately I'm savvy enough not to advertise my numbers so I don't get any scam calls or texts, and I haven't had any "phishing" emails in at least 10 years :D 

Edited by Mr Allen
missed a word

Just now, Mr Allen said:

Indeed, and even if you're ex directory on TPS on the landline and mobile it doesn't stop the scammers because most of them are Foreign, on which TPS has no jurisdiction.

Fortunately I'm savvy enough not to advertise my numbers so I don't get any scam calls or texts, and I haven't had any "phishing" emails in at least 10 years :D 

Sadly You don't need to advertise your number to get scammers targeting you. 

I don't even know my landline number, I never give it out and I've had scam calls practically from day one of having it installed. 

20 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I don't even know my landline number, I never give it out and I've had scam calls practically from day one of having it installed. 

In the near 15 years I've been in the Flat, I've been on BT, Talk Talk and now Plusnet for the Landline, and I can count the number of scam calls I've had on 1 hand :D 

That's because I'm ex directory AND on TPS, and I also don't put my mobile or landline number anywhere online unless I absolutely have to.

33 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

As scammers usually use autodiallers that call a list of numbers in sequence, if you are in a list, you don't need to advertise your number.

From my experience, these days, if you ignore the calls for long enough, you eventually get 'skipped' in the sequence and find the volume of calls drops considerably - I now get maybe 3 a month if I'm unlucky.