Straying In To Bus Lane To Make Way For Emergency Vehicles?

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

A more likely scenario would be moving through a red light, to allow an emergency vehicle to pass. Doing so could well result in a fine.

You are not supposed to and if there is a red light camera you will get a ticket, but if not most people just pull out of the way.

Unfortunately you get some total morons who do the opposite, they move to the side about half a foot and sit there.

The light turns green and they're still sat blocking the road.

Traffic around them start beeping and pointing, eventually the message gets through and they move off.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

The bus lane should be clear of traffic, I would imagine that emergency vehicles would use the bus lane, so no need to move over.

That's fine if the emergency vehicle is going in the same direction, but sometimes they are oncoming in your lane and you have a bus lane to your left. This happens on Burngreave Road - if you are driving downhill and an ambulance is coming uphill and overtaking buses and is therefore partly in your lane, it makes sense to dip into the bus lane to allow enough space for the ambulance to pass.

3 hours ago, Waldo said:

Yeah, that's a good point!

A more likely scenario would be moving through a red light, to allow an emergency vehicle to pass. Doing so could well result in a fine.

I think in such a case, I'd drive through (safely), and challenge any ticket issued. If I still had to pay (i.e. lost my appeal) I'd make it clear that I wouldn't be taking any evasive action for emergency vehicles ever again, for fear of being penalised by idiots for doing so.

I was waiting at the stop-line on a red light at Burton St/Penistone Rd junction when an ambulance with sirens pulled up at the back of me, but I didn't move till the lights changed.

21 minutes ago, carosio said:

I was waiting at the stop-line on a red light at Burton St/Penistone Rd junction when an ambulance with sirens pulled up at the back of me, but I didn't move till the lights changed.

One thing I do which others dont seem to, is a little pip on the horn, if I see the lights early, you cannot always see or hear the emergency vehicle in time.

There was a price on tv about this.

Emergency vehicles do not want you to pass thru Red lights .

I believe they even turn siren off if held in traffic  by Red light in case it pressurized someone to move thru one.

Legally you can only go thru a Red light on instruction from a police officer.

14 minutes ago, butlers said:

There was a price on tv about this.

Emergency vehicles do not want you to pass thru Red lights .

I believe they even turn siren off if held in traffic  by Red light in case it pressurized someone to move thru one.

Legally you can only go thru a Red light on instruction from a police officer.

👆Yep my old driving instructor told me this 

8 hours ago, Waldo said:

Should you move in to a bus lane, in order to make way for an emergency vehicle? Sheffield City Council say you could be fined if you do. They’ll review CCTV, but no guarantees.

Wonder what the emergency services themselves suggest?

8 hours ago, RollingJ said:

I'm not a driver, but if the emergency vehicle is on 'blues & two's' I would think you have a strong case against any penalties - but knowing SCC you might have a fight on your hands.

Could? Try definitely. I did it, I was 10 yrds from the end of the lane & the only way for the ambulance to continue was to overtake me then move over. 

SCC wouldn't listen the appeal reason so my kindness cost me £30. Won't happen again the ambulance can wait and the family of the victim/YAS can argue with them.