Benefit To Sheffield Of Having A Labour Council?

The Central Library on Surrey St is all but gone, as is Walkley Library on South Road, 40 years ago I was in there at least once a week in the "older kids" section borrowing Doctor Who books :D 

I also used to regularly visit the Central one, they had some good computer books, now I buy all my programming books on Amazon :( 

16 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

It's an impossible question to answer. What are the "benefits" of any city council? Bins are emptied, we have police on the streets, roads are no worse than most major towns or cities. Despite cuts, to the best of my knowledge, they've not lost a huge amount of essential services. In my opinion they've signed a couple of crap contracts but you can probably point at a couple of other councils that have done the same. 

You could point to a comparable sized city that's had a tory council since the year dot and say "look what we could have had" but most major cities don't vote for Tory councils. I wonder why.

Spot on.  Councils have some mandatory duties that have to be carried out, no choice on spending money on those services.  I get my bins emptied, the libraries have provided an online order and collect service during lockdown, schools are up and running.   

I don't know what magic wand people expect an NOC council to wave, and whatever changes are made, we'll still hear the same uninformed negativity. 

Edited by Ms Macbeth
Sp

20 hours ago, Mr Allen said:

Probably because they know the Tories are mostly as bent as a 4 Bob note :D 

I don't think the tories have the monopoly on corrupt councillors/MPs

19 hours ago, Mr Allen said:

The Central Library on Surrey St is all but gone, as is Walkley Library on South Road, 40 years ago I was in there at least once a week in the "older kids" section borrowing Doctor Who books :D 

I also used to regularly visit the Central one, they had some good computer books, now I buy all my programming books on Amazon :( 

Like you, Sir, I used to be a regular at the Central Library. 

I was a young lad calling in most Saturdays to return books, get new ones and get advice from the library staff.  You learnt which ones would look down their noses at kids, and so avoided them.  Most were genuinely helpful and knew enough to suggest similar authors to your favourites, or books to help with various interests.

IMO the most important thing is the move from the 'Strong Leader' model to a committee model. Without a Labour majority, these committees stand far more chance of decisions being discussed, analysed and them thrashing out a balanced solution to issues rather than the previous model of just doing whatever a handful of cronies thought was a good idea.

I'd like to think debacles like the tree felling and fly by night cycle lanes won't be happening under the new regime.

8 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Like you, Sir, I used to be a regular at the Central Library. 

I was a young lad calling in most Saturdays to return books, get new ones and get advice from the library staff.  You learnt which ones would look down their noses at kids, and so avoided them.  Most were genuinely helpful and knew enough to suggest similar authors to your favourites, or books to help with various interests.

You'll be pleased to know the libraries are starting to reopen.  Details here.  They've been a lifesaver through lockdown, I've been ordering and collecting books from Hillsborough for months.

http://shefflibraries.blogspot.com/p/live-library-status-tracker.html

1 hour ago, the_bloke said:

IMO the most important thing is the move from the 'Strong Leader' model to a committee model. Without a Labour majority, these committees stand far more chance of decisions being discussed, analysed and them thrashing out a balanced solution to issues rather than the previous model of just doing whatever a handful of cronies thought was a good idea.

I'd like to think debacles like the tree felling and fly by night cycle lanes won't be happening under the new regime.

True, I also hope that the best decisions are made, not on party political lines.  We'll see.

50 minutes ago, Ms Macbeth said:

You'll be pleased to know the libraries are starting to reopen.  Details here.  They've been a lifesaver through lockdown, I've been ordering and collecting books from Hillsborough for months.

http://shefflibraries.blogspot.com/p/live-library-status-tracker.html

True, I also hope that the best decisions are made, not on party political lines.  We'll see.

Hmm, interesting, I thought Hillsborough Library closed years ago, I've been past it loads on the Tram and it never looks open?

This fine city has lagged behind most of the other major cities for decades in many aspects - all whilst a labour council has been in charge. I think it’s high time for a more progressive party to take the city forward with more ambition

This will never happen as (as I perceive it) most labour voters do so because their parents, grandparents voted labour so they do as such

13 hours ago, Mr Allen said:

Hmm, interesting, I thought Hillsborough Library closed years ago, I've been past it loads on the Tram and it never looks open?

With the library set so far back from the tram and with a front door that in winter will be shut to keep the cold out then it would be very hard to tell if it was open or shut - it does not have queues of people waiting

6 hours ago, Unisol said:

This fine city has lagged behind most of the other major cities for decades in many aspects - all whilst a labour council has been in charge. I think it’s high time for a more progressive party to take the city forward with more ambition

This will never happen as (as I perceive it) most labour voters do so because their parents, grandparents voted labour so they do as such

Leeds council has mainly been Labour since it's inception bar 4 years according to Google.