Sheffield Referendum Tomorrow

On 04/05/2021 at 17:11, Consheff said:

I was just thinking Labour has had control of Sheffield for donkey's years apart from a lib dem blip compare Sheffield to other cities and were miles behind we seem to have wasted taxes trying to fix imported problems that can't be fixed instead of spending the tax revenue on bettering our city all round so I ask are there any benefit to being a labour city these days because we seem to have lost out whilst Conservative citys don't seem to be doing so bad is there any point shooting yourself in the foot to spite yourself 

Looks like Tory trolling to me.

If the local council control is different to national government, it's usually suffers from central government coffers! Sheffield has since the Lib Dem Tory coalition onwards.

So when eventually, when a Labour government is elected, I presume you'll be telling people not to shoot themselves in the foot and vote Labour.

Your posts on the forum just have a dig one way.

Edited by S1 1DJ

4 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Anything to add to the discussion ?

I don't know if you have or not!!! Meanwhile I'm still waiting for answers to my questions;!!!!

Just now, S1 1DJ said:

If the local council control is different to national government, it's usually suffers from central government coffers! Sheffield house since the Lib Dem Tory coalition onwards.

So when eventually, when a Labour government is elected, I presume you'll be telling people not to shoot themselves in the foot and vote Labour.

Another good post

1 hour ago, Michael_N said:

With 84 instead of 9, will anything ever get done? Hard enough to get 9 to probably agree on issues, let alone 84...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" springs to mind.

Conversely: "If it is broke, try something else".

And while we're on the hackneyed expressions: if two heads are better than one, then eighty-four could be better than nine.

2 minutes ago, horribleblob said:

Conversely: "If it is broke, try something else".

And while we're on the hackneyed expressions: if two heads are better than one, then eighty-four could be better than nine.

👍

hi all - seem to have a few threads created over the same discussion so I have merged them. 

and reminder to keep things civil & respectful.

Regardless of party politics, the question is: would it be better to move from the "leader" model to "committee"?

I'm not a fan of the "Its our City Campaign", but the "leader" model is flawed  and cabinet positions are usually given to a certain wing/loyal following of the leading party. Not to mention, some of them are useless - just watch the committees online!

Also, the Labour plan would see money into the communities and keeping the current system. Keep a watch if happens as you may find a Labour member leading them, and the agenda, unless you live in a "Its our City" area!

23 minutes ago, S1 1DJ said:

If the local council control is different to national government, it's usually suffers from central government coffers! Sheffield has since the Lib Dem Tory coalition onwards.

Tell us how Sheffield benefitted when Labour were in government 

4 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

You alright? How random!

Not at all random , you said " if the local council control is different to national government , it usually suffers from central government coffers " .  I asked how did Sheffield benefit from the coffers under a Labour government , when we had a Labour council 

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Best not to mention the Student games on the How has Labour benefitted Sheffield thread 

🤔

40 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

They can't answer because there are no benefits 

22 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Not at all random , you said " if the local council control is different to national government , it usually suffers from central government coffers " .  I asked how did Sheffield benefit from the coffers under a Labour government , when we had a Labour council 

This is a good point Labour voters forget about the Blair years when blunket was in the cabinet closest we came to getting anything was a loan to forge asters that got binned off we got nothing just empty promises as per the labour usual routine 

34 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Pull the other one - no getting baited. I made a valid point!

1 minute ago, S1 1DJ said:

Pull the other one - no getting baited. I made a valid point!

Admit it labour haven't benefited Sheffield just added debt for our kids to pay off after we have gone like Amy contract