Sheffield Referendum Tomorrow

Posters she haven't had any answers to the question what benefits have we gained from being run by labour? 

9 minutes ago, Consheff said:

Posters she haven't had any answers to the question what benefits have we gained from being run by labour? 

Hmmm... :huh:

... is the answer... it's saved us from being run by any of the other incompetents? :roll:

28 minutes ago, Consheff said:

You won’t get an answer as there are no benefits.

The Heart of the City wins national awards for urban redevelopment.

The move to a sport city has brought the NIS sport here .

Its managed the move from a decimated formerly heavy industrial based city to a more diverse economy.

There seems to be a very good relationship with the University of Sheffield with a view to development and the engagement with the wider city .The Festival of the Mind is a great attraction when it's on in town.

A city is never finished and there's a few critics on here while offering no answers to anything think the complex use declining revenues can provide some sort of nivarna .

They have done some good things I'm sure, but got it wrong on many occasions. I think a lot of this is because Labour thinks it has a monopoly of power in Sheffield, no matter how they screw it up they will still get re-elected, and they're probably right.

Part of the trouble is the way the system is run. We have 84 councillors in Sheffield, but only 9 of them have any power and they make all the decisions, so if your local councillors is not one of the nine, your district isn't properly represented.

That is why there is a Referendum in Sheffield this time to change the system to a committee system, where ALL the councillors of all the parties will have a say and be able to influence decisions. It will be proportionate to the vote. 

Trouble is 40% of people don't yet know about this, and faced with an unexpected ballot paper that they know nothing about won't know what to vote for. Studies have found that in this situation people tend to go for the default setting, in this case a vote for the old system of Leader and cabinet of 9. So please make sure word gets out there by telling family, friends, work colleagues, acquaintances, etc about it.

Remember you can still vote Labour, or anything else (Labour is neck and neck with Lib Dems,) but also vote for a 'Committee' in the referendum ballot on the third piece of paper to ensure everyone has a voice.

Edited by Anna B

Tomorrow is voting day for the council, but what 40% of Sheffielders are still not aware of is that there will be 3 ballot papers; one paper to vote for your councillor, (Labour, Conservative, Lib Dem etc,) one paper to vote for Sheffield police commissioner, and one to vote for how the council us run, in a referendum question. 

This asks you if you want to continue with the Leader and 9 person cabinet, or by a committee system which will better represent all the councillors in all the districts.  

At the moment Sheffield has 84 councillors, but a mere 9 of them make all the decisions, so if your councillor isn't one of the 9 you have very little representation.

The new committee system means that decisions will be made by committees of representatives made up from all the parties, depending on their proportion of the vote. A much better way of ensuring that everyone has a say in decisions.

Meh, I'll be voting Labour, as I always do :D 

The Heart of the City wins national awards for urban redevelopment.

The move to a sport city has brought the NIS sport here .

could be very close,i have always found ,us the public gain ,if the 2 are close and decisions are not guaranteed,they tend to get things done better.

Meh, I'll be sticking my X in Labour tomorrow :D 

As mentioned in a thread last week, on a local level Labour have always been good to me :D 

15 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Tomorrow is voting day for the council, but what 40% of Sheffielders are still not aware of is that there will be 3 ballot papers; one paper to vote for your councillor, (Labour, Conservative, Lib Dem etc,) one paper to vote for Sheffield police commissioner, and one to vote for how the council us run, in a referendum question. 

This asks you if you want to continue with the Leader and 9 person cabinet, or by a committee system which will better represent all the councillors in all the districts.  

At the moment Sheffield has 84 councillors, but a mere 9 of them make all the decisions, so if your councillor isn't one of the 9 you have very little representation.

The new committee system means that decisions will be made by committees of representatives made up from all the parties, depending on their proportion of the vote. A much better way of ensuring that everyone has a say in decisions.

Hmmm... :huh:

... I agree, it does seem a much fairer way of doing things!

But thinking about it...

... if we're letting 9 clowns run the circus now, just think what damage all 84 incompetents might cause! :suspect:

With 84 instead of 9, will anything ever get done? Hard enough to get 9 to probably agree on issues, let alone 84...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" springs to mind.