Sheffield Referendum Tomorrow

1 minute ago, butlers said:

Being a local councilor is hardly a route to a life of luxury.

Takes more altruism than most can manage to dedicate your life to your local community.

Quiet heroes in my book ,in my dealings with them

I agree with this fully!!!

3 hours ago, Mr Allen said:

Meh, one of the Chief reasons I voted remain for Brexit 5 years ago was because unlike a LOT of leave voters (IMO) I don't have a big axe to grind against immigrants, apart from that I can't talk to Foreign call centres because they don't understand my strong local accent.

Also, the local Labour man for Sheffield Central, Mr Paul Blomfield, seems to be a nice enough bloke, and has responded personally to several emails I've sent him on various issues, most noteably that time I got stuck in Town when Wednesday played Millwall, I didn't feel safe on a Middlewood bound Tram full of rowdy Millwall fans, so I got off on West St, then my mobile died, I'd got my green Lanyard on which tells everybody I'm disabled, I went up to a local Policeman to explain my problem, he was neither use nor ornament and that's being kind! :loopy: 

Anyway when I finally arrived Home I sent a long email to Mr Blomfield explaining my problem with the Plod, and he said they weren't trained to recognise the green thingy, and he'd mention it to local Police Bosses anonymously on my behalf.

Good result overall :D 

Nice one that's was a good result and I'm glad you got home safely but it's a shame about the copper not helping That can't have been a very pleasant experience. 

Edited by The_DADDY

5 minutes ago, GleadlessLad said:

The Conservatives were in control of Sheffield Council from 1968 until 1969.  One of their "innovations" was to have all of the wheels on the city's bus fleet (Council controlled in those days) repainted blue....

Ha Ha , I didn't know that, I bet if the forum had been around in those days some on here would have been praising  them for doing that and saying "at last someone doing what the local people want" LOL

1 hour ago, geared said:

If you don't change out the administration every so often there's no incentive for the politicians to actually put some effort into improving the city for people.

They'll just sit on their arse playing party politics safe in the knowledge the public will happily vote them back in next time.

Chuck the lot out, get some fresh blood in.  You may well find they are much more enthusiastic to improve peoples lives.

Well said I think councilors and mps should reside in the areas they represent ideally grown up there and serve limited time in office say 5 years 

Gets better still ,so a councilor/ MP can only serve one term?

Just as they will have become knowledgeable about their subject and built alliances to get things done,you want them out ?

Let em serve as long as they want, if they are doing a bad job their constituents can remove them.

hi all - reminder to keep things civil & respectful. removing comments on this thread that don't adhere to this.

Look at any city where Labour are involved and you'll see a crime ridden hellhole, they'd do the same to the whole country if they ever gain power, fortunately that's very highly unlikely, the problem for the electorate is that the opposition are nearly as godawful.

13 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Look at any city where Labour are involved and you'll see a crime ridden hellhole, they'd do the same to the whole country if they ever gain power, fortunately that's very highly unlikely, the problem for the electorate is that the opposition are nearly as godawful.

So I will ask again is there no crime in tory controlled areas, just curious that's all !!!!!!

39 minutes ago, monzaman said:

So I will ask again is there no crime in tory controlled areas, just curious that's all !!!!!!

Yes, just not as much.

How much difference?

1 minute ago, top4718 said:

Yes, just not as much.

how much is not as much 5%, 10%  ,15% and If it's not as much can you still class them as crime ridden hellholes or is there a certain level you have to reach before you class them as that or are you not allowed to call tory areas crime ridden hellholes,just curious that's all !!!!!!

1 minute ago, monzaman said:

how much is not as much 5%, 10%  ,15% and If it's not as much can you still class them as crime ridden hellholes or is there a certain level you have to reach before you class them as that or are you not allowed to call tory areas crime ridden hellholes,just curious that's all !!!!!!

Have a drive round a few and you'll see.